Top Shelf Aquatics

Carpet Anemone?

hollister_08

Well i have been doing lots of research on anemone's. I have been wanting a carpet, but they are just so difficult to keep! I was doing reseach on saddle or also known as a haddoni anemone, and all the web sites i have looked at have said lots of good things about them, their care level is moderate, need moderate water flow, and that they need good water quality, and a tank with high light.. The only bad thing about them that i found was that they could eat small fish, and shrimp! I was wondering if anyone could share any experience with them that they have had? And tell me what you think about it?

Here are some info i found on them..

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/pr...oot_parent_id=4

http://fins.actwin.com/articles/choosinganemone.php

http://w3page.com/fishline/anem.html

Alright, out of all the research I have done ,which is a fair amount, I have come up with this.These anemones prefer a variety of sandy and rocky locations. The Carpet Anemone may prefer one more than the other, and will move about the tank until it finds the location of its choice. It has a potent sting and may harm corals and other anemones as it moves about the aquarium. When healthy, it will be very sticky. If it is able to grasp something (or someone), it is very difficult to convince it to let go without damaging it. It is also one of the few anemones that can cause a severe reaction in humans, so keeping one requires care in handling. On a lighter note, they are great hosts for clowns and the presence of a clownfish greatly helps in the acclimation. You should regularly feed it fish or any other meaty foods. You should check out Liveaquaria.com for different types. But I have also found that once they are established they are fairly hardy. Hope this helps.

~Ryan

Alright, out of all the research I have done ,which is a fair amount, I have come up with this.These anemones prefer a variety of sandy and rocky locations. The Carpet Anemone may prefer one more than the other, and will move about the tank until it finds the location of its choice. It has a potent sting and may harm corals and other anemones as it moves about the aquarium. When healthy, it will be very sticky. If it is able to grasp something (or someone), it is very difficult to convince it to let go without damaging it. It is also one of the few anemones that can cause a severe reaction in humans, so keeping one requires care in handling. On a lighter note, they are great hosts for clowns and the presence of a clownfish greatly helps in the acclimation. You should regularly feed it fish or any other meaty foods. You should check out Liveaquaria.com for different types. But I have also found that once they are established they are fairly hardy. Hope this helps.

~Ryan

Ya thanks dude, thats all i found too! But anyway i live on liveaquaria, lol the only problem is that you dont know if they are going to send you a haddoni carpet anemone.. But all the info i have gatheres has shown that haddoni/saddle carpet anemone's are alot easier than a like a green carpet, that you usually find at the store.. But i have decided that i want to find a small haddoni carpet for my reef tank! Even though it is very aggresive, and can injure or even kill coral/inverts i am willing to move any coral out of its way or even transfer them to my parents tank until the anemone settles down, and then start stocking the corals back!

• 3 weeks later...

A) 30 Gallons is too small.

B ) Liveaquaria for information? Are you kidding me?

C) You should do some research on the natural habitats and habits of these creatures before even getting into asking about one for your tank, that outta tell you enough.

D) You seem too inexperienced for them.

A) 30 Gallons is too small.

B ) Liveaquaria for information? Are you kidding me?

C) You should do some research on the natural habitats and habits of these creatures before even getting into asking about one for your tank, that outta tell you enough.

D) You seem too inexperienced for them.

Ya i figured everyone would say its too small, but i was planning on getting it about 3"-5" and moving whatever out of its way! And i dont care if it takes up the whole bottom, that would be fine w/me! And i have seen them live for years in even smaller tanks than mine!

Liveaquaria isnt the only place i looked up info, i have been reasearching this anemone for about 4 months!

I have done reasearch on the natural habits of the anemone, and i think i could keep one in my tank! Even though it might grow to the size of my tank or bigger..

And no i am not inexperienced! I have been into this for about 3 1/2 years now. I learned all my leasons on my first tank, now w/ this tank i have pretty much worked out everything!

i would still go with a bta because it would just be much better off in your system than a carpet. if you feel the need to get a carpet, a haddoni is really your only chance although it could still cause you some problems. my two cents.

You'd know that this anemone comes from a slightly different habitat than your 30 Gallon will be offering, then.

If done in a small tank, these are best for species tanks.

Ya thanks! But yes i know it has come from a totaly diff haditat, and ya i think i might try a small one see how it does, and if that doent work out i will probly just go with a RBTA.. But thanks for all yalls help! :)

i have heard that with carpets if you get a moon light they wont eat fish and stuff from your tank still though in a few months with good feeding it can double in size

i have heard that with carpets if you get a moon light they wont eat fish and stuff from your tank still though in a few months with good feeding it can double in size

Ya they say that because your fish would be able to see where they are going if there is a little light in the tank, so they wont bump into the anemone.. And yes they can double, if they under the right conditions! Thanks

isn't there a way to frag it or wait till it splits? cheaper and you will know what it is then. I think if you ask for a hadonii in the item specification then you might have a chance. check on that theory.

isn't there a way to frag it or wait till it splits? cheaper and you will know what it is then. I think if you ask for a hadonii in the item specification then you might have a chance. check on that theory.

The problem with that is, that no one has ever had a carpet split in there tank! Atleast that i have heard of, and they already got rid of that tank, and carpet! They now have a 80gal, and no anemone, there clowns host in there fuzzy nushroom's! But i might go to the and post something there.. I want to wait a couple weeks before i get a carpet though, im planning on upgrading my light to a 250w MH... Thanks

People frag Carpets.

and Hollister, an anemone can theoretically live forever in the ocean, most large ones have been there for 100s of years.

why kill something that can live so long when you know good and well you aren't ready for it?

Isn't a elephants ear mushroom more realistic because of size although the mushroom would try and eat mr & mrs clowny? :) I'm never going to buy a wild anemone, they aren't as hardy and only a little bit more cheaper. I agree with CGNano when he says that the anemone unless aquacultured should be left where it is naturally. So many die of foot infections due to being torn off the rock about 1 in 30 will survive to the LFS after the shipping, acclimation to the LFS' water (may not be suitable) and all of those obstacles. What did your parents do with the anemone anyway? Just buy a carpet frag, it will be alot cheaper and you can probably find it will be alot easier and undemanding than wild ones (not saying anemones are easy at all).

i'm bound to get flamed for this, but check out the carpets on RC.

Actually, I just went on over to RC and realized that the anemone he is claiming as his own is actually someone else's.

Say goodbye to what's left of the few bits of respect I had for you in the first place :)

Or is it the other way round, i posted that it was hollisters. Guess once RC found out he changed it because he didn't want us finding out. Hollister, is that carpet anemone BonsaiNut's -_- ?

was it even his pic?

He must have thought the photo contests were of the best photos you could find, and not personal photos taken by yourself. It may not be fair, and he did get a premie membership out of it, but everyone makes a mistake once in a while.

No, he took the picture off RC.

It was another users, posted before Hollister claimed it as his own.

The person who posted the picture has a FTS to prove that it is his own.

I DO NOT believe Hollister believed you had to find a good picture, that's ridiculous.

He knew what he was doing when he did it.

Archived