Innovative Marine Aquariums

*BROKEN*Finnex 22 Gallon Glass M-Tank*BROKEN*

HammyDavisJr

Turbo snail #2 is dead. I think they got stressed from the Nasarius snails and shrimps.

I'll just get a few more ceriths. They are algae eating machines.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are so lucky. All of my lfs only carry turbos. The variety of snails down here is pathetic. All i have in my tank is turbos. They do a decent job, but i cant stand flipping them over every day. ugh.

You are so lucky. All of my lfs only carry turbos. The variety of snails down here is pathetic. All i have in my tank is turbos. They do a decent job, but i cant stand flipping them over every day. ugh.

Have you considered trying to get some snails online? Not sure how welll they would ship, but it might be worth a shot.

Update.

Picked up a False Perc to go with my True Perc. They are instant pals. True perc is MUCH more bold now that it has a friend.

My friend gave me a really nice 2 headed piece of Torch Coral. True perc eyed it pretty hard for about a half hour, then gave it a few 'rubs' as it swam by..so we'll see if some hosting takes place later.

The pics are right after I put it in, it extended fully shortly after this pic was taken.

I'll get some better pics tomorrow.

DSCF1371_(Large).JPG

DSCF1377_(Large).JPG

Lookin good. I cant wait till our tanks are about a year old. They're gonna look so nice. :D

I'm fighting a Cyano red algae issue. The room my tank sits in gets a lot of light. I'm going weekly 25-30% water changes, limiting my feeding.

I think I have a few 'dead' areas in my tank, and I could probably stand to vaccum out the big 'cave' in my tank. I wonder if some detrius is building up.

I'm going to jam a big ball of chaeto or some other macro algae in the back of my tank to see if that helps suck up some CO2 from the red algae.

Hey, hopefully this won't burst your bubble, but unless Finnex changed the look of the acrylic tanks, yours looks like a glass one.... as opposed to your title. I'm very biased on these tanks, as I own a 20g glass... yours looks exactly like mine. The acrylic ones do not have glass covers like ours. Definitely glass... nice work so far. Check out mine when you have the time.

You were right! Here is my response from the Company.

Dear customer,

The model 1801 is 22 gallon and glass tank. Thank you very much!

Ron

Torch is definately hosting the True Perc now. He darts over to it when startled, and gives in rubs. When I fed them their once a week brine shrimp feast, I saw him take a piece to the torch coral mouth and spit it at it. The shrimp came in and nabbed the piece, so I used my turkey baster to give each head a few pieces, and then made bubbles to keep the shrimp away.

Ordered the Tunze 9002 Nano Skimmer yesterday, so I hope to have it up and running by the end of the week. I'll document that with pics.

Please forgive the 'poo string' hanging out ;)

DSCF1473_(Large).JPG

DSCF1478_(Large).JPG

My wife was home all day with our sick baby (Norwalk Virus) and said she saw the True Perc 'sleeping' in the torch coral. I said, "sleeping?" and she said, "Yeah...he was laying on his side all nestled into the coral"

The digital camera sits about a foot away from the tank and she didn't nab a shot.

She's in the penalty box...feeling shame!

• 1 month later...
HammyDavisJr

Update.

Pink Xenia and Zoos. All on one rock, got it for 9 bucks.

DSCF1752_(Large).JPG

High Fin Goby. He hid for 2 weeks, thought I lost him...now he's out and frowning at everyone.

DSCF1765_(Large).JPG

Goby and candy cane. 9 buck frag as well.

DSCF1770_(Large).JPG

FTS. You can see everyone.

1 Cleaner Shrimp

1 Peppermint Shrimp

1 True Perc

1 False Perc

1 High Fin Banded Goby

1 Queen conch on the back wall

DSCF1767_(Large).JPG

DSCF1772_(Large).JPG

• 2 weeks later...
HammyDavisJr

Lame.

Sunday night the wife calls as I'm driving home

"SOMETHING IS BROKE ON YOUR FISHTANK!"

I get home and the corner cracked and water had sprayed out onto my computer desk and the hardwood floor. She thought quick, threw a bucket down, and pulled a little Dutch Boy with her finger in the dike (hot!).

Long story short...threw all the fish, corals, snails, etc in the bucket, and sihponed the water out the window faster than it was leaking. About 3 gallons made it onto the hardwood and leaked down into the dining room ceiling. We had two pre-existing cracks in the ceiling, so the water actually was able to drip out. Ceiling seems fine, just stained...we needed to paint it anyway.

My buddy came and picked up my fish and stuff and threw it into one of his tanks, so everyone is alive. I emailed Finnex to get a new tank for free, as my tank is less than 6 months old, but it will probably be a while before I set up again. This time it's going downstairs in the kitchen...but not for a few months at least.

LAME!

Ouch! Man, that bites ... hope you are able to a replacement up and running quickly.

The hi-fin gobies are cool ... just picked up a second one this past weekend. I think they get braver is they have a pistol shrimp with them. Once the hi-fin found my existing striped pistol, it was happiness for all (I bought a hi-fin/shrimp combo last year and the hi-fin disappeared after 6 mo.)!

Good luck!!

HammyDavisJr

Finnex got back to me. They told me to bring it back to the store where I bought it so they can evaluate it for defects?

So I called the store and they said bring it on in.

I'll swing in this weekend and see what they say. Well, they better say "Dang, sorry, here's a new tank."

Wow, that sucks man!! :( I have a 30g glass Finnex myself. Where did your crack at on the tank?? Anywho, did they mention any issues getting a replacement since they stopped production of them at the beginning of the year??

Needreefunds

Aw man Hammy, that stinks! Was really looking sweet. I hope Finnex takes care of you. Good luck with the rebuild, come back soon.

HammyDavisJr
Wow, that sucks man!! :( I have a 30g glass Finnex myself. Where did your crack at on the tank?? Anywho, did they mention any issues getting a replacement since they stopped production of them at the beginning of the year??

w00f I forgot they discontinued them. Perhaps I'll just get my money back, or see if they'll cut me a sweet deal on their 30 gallon with the refugium.

I'll keep you guys/gals posted.

That sucks!

Hopefully you will get your discount on the 30.Or your monay back.

Hows your kid doin? did he/she get over the norwalk virus?

HammyDavisJr
That sucks!

Hopefully you will get your discount on the 30.Or your monay back.

Hows your kid doin? did he/she get over the norwalk virus?

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, he weathered it pretty well, although he lost about 2lbs. 2lbs doesn't seem like a lot, but when you weigh 25 lbs, it makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
HammyDavisJr

So...

Fish store is calling Finnex to see if they have a tank they can ship, if not I might drop another $80 or so and upgrade to the Finnex 30 gallon.

I was talking to the owner and said, "Yeah, if Finnex can't do anything, I'll bring my lights and skimmer and stuff back in and I'll probably get the 30 gallon tank"

He responded with "well..I can't resell or re-use your lights and stuff so.."

So it sounds like I'll get to keep my lights and all the other stuff from my 20 gallon tank....hmmm.......30 gallon finnex with a 10gallon sump below?

Or I was thinking about getting my money back and going with a Cad Lights 25 gallon.

Thoughts?

HammyDavisJr
so... he'll let you keep it? or won't let you upgrade?

Sorry, my rambling was unclear.

They have the 30 gallon Finnex in stock at the store. So I could drop another 80ish bucks or so and take it home. Essentially I'd just get store credit for the full price of my broken 22 gal tank.

It sounds like he's not going to want the lights, skimmer, and pumps from my busted 20 gal. Finnex.

Archived