Pod Your Reef

Mephix's BC29 birth (With Pics)

Mephix

I've actually went back to just using the stock pump and the skimmer pump as the weather here is REALLY warming up and the tank tempetures were getting too hot with the third pump that I added to the main display running. So as of now it's just the stock pump providing the flow to the tank. I think I've arranged my rocks so that the flow from that pump is really circulating the water nicely as the water remains clear and my tank perameters are near perfect. The third pump is still in the display and I turn it on from time to time to circulate water, but not long enough to raise the tank temperature. I'm not sure if this is a good practice, but I'm experimenting with it. You can see the third pump in the left side of the display in the below picture. I'm no wher near an expert at this, I'm a BIG newb. I couldn't tell you the exact volume of water being circulated in my tank like most of the learned members of this site could, however my set up seems to be working for now and only time will tell.

Regardless of my newbness Tweakmon, I thank you for your compliment.

Picture022.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the clarification. I changed my pump to a MJ1200 and created a split end return line from locline. I am just trying to be sure I cover my flow as well, because it seems like I have almost too much pressure, as it blows my softies around a bit. Does your water flow go from the left side of the tank to the right, so that it takes the nasty stuff right to the filter opening, or do you have some reverse flow that actually goes right-to-left? I am thinking I may need to readjust my flow angles.

Also, what do you feed the Rics to get them looking so good? I have some myself and would be interested to know what works for yours.

Thanks.

I'm not certain, and I'm sure they'll be more then one opinion, but one of the many experts I've talked to said that Loc Line was actually a flow inhibitor, however a good friend of mine has Loc Line in his BC 29 and swears by it. My flow does go from left to right, BUT I postioned my extra power head to go from right to left. I have no idea if that's right or wrong, but time will tell.

My Ricordias LOVE small pieces of cut up Krill believe it or not. I have to give a big peice of it to my Skunk Shrimp first though to keep him busy while I feed the Ric's because they eat very slow and if he's not busy he'll go around and steal the pieces of krill from thier mouths.

WOW! Your tank looks fantastic!

I'm definitely going to hit up niceville pets. Looks like they have some great stuff over there! Anytime now and I should have my BC 14! Maybe I should meet you up there so you can help me pick out some stuff.

Sure thing ST. I was just there Thursday and she had a really nice Ricordia in. She gets her corals in on Wed/Thur so we should hit her up this Thursday and see if she has anything new. :)

Sure thing ST. I was just there Thursday and she had a really nice Ricordia in. She gets her corals in on Wed/Thur so we should hit her up this Thursday and see if she has anything new. :)

sounds good!

New Shrooms and Zoas, thought I'd share (see question for advice at the bottom of the post)(I think Ctlr+mouse wheel works to zoom in):

FTS:

p010.jpg

Closer in:

Renameme027.jpg

New Blood Red Shroom:

Newest002.jpg

New Shroom with Fire and Ice Zoa's and my Pink Ric:

Renameme012.jpg

Mean Greens and some supposed Red Thunders:

Renameme020.jpg

Pink Zoa's:

Renameme018.jpg

Looking for ideas on a good center peace to go a little behind where the yellow watchman aka (Tiff-face) is positioned in pic 2. I'd love input on what you think I should purchase to place there, It would sit on a flat rock that's behind the brownish looking BIG ric (which glows Neon Yellow under night lighting) I have stock BC lighting so keep that in mind. ;) Thanks for looking! :)

Wow nice Newnanofl! Two for the price of one! I'm not sure what makes them split, I have two with two mouths and I've been waiting to see if they'll split or not. Any suggestions on a center piece coral for my tank?

Tank looks awesome! I just bought my new BC 29 and hope it comes along as nicely as yours. So the Skimmer fit without you having to mod the hood? And you put it in Chamber 2 correct? Would you be so kind and post pics of the filtration :)

read some other threads and found out that the Skimmer is made to fit in the second chamber. The pic would still be nice though ;)

sweet! thanks for the pic. I bought my BC29 on Sunday and still havnt taken it out of the box. Still have a few things to get. Im not real fond of the stand that matches it so im going to build my own stand from 2x4's and nice birch ply that is 36" tall for better viewing. Cant wait to get the cycle going though.

If you want a skimmer, I may part with my older saphfire skimmer and you can get a good deal. I am really into new gadgets

The idea for your home made stand sound awesome. I can't wait to see pics. I actually like the stock stand because of the location of my tank. I have it next to my couch and it's actually perfect viewing height. You can also roll up a computer chair, sit on it backwards, rest your arms and head on the back of the chair and it's perfect level for viewing. :)

Heya Rebodi. Yeah, I am running the stock lighting. Strange that you say your Zoa's look light deprived. I've read that they actually do better under PC lights rather then MH. I've also read that they do better with out a Protien Skimmer. So many different opinions out there. At least they're opening up, if they weren't happy, they wouldn't open up at all. ;)

Man your tank looks good. I actually GAVE my buddy some free frags off my Zoas and he said they are growing like wild flowers under pc lighting...Now that he has some new stuff I am hoping he is going to return the favor?? I think he might have some new friends since he's not calling me anymore

• 1 month later...

Archived