Coral Vue Hydros

Nassarius snail eating a clam

firstimereefer

me too, in the end i think its the best for everyone including the clam, yeah it probably would have done "ok" in my tank but it will Thrive in my buddy's tank

YA he might been ok for a little while, but it would have died in a matter of months probly! But thats good you gave it to a good home! :)

firstimereefer

I would like to announce that the clam as successfully been added to his/her new home in milwaukee in a nice 100G reef tank and he/she will spend many happy years there.

Helfrichs Chick

OOOOKKKKK I had this SAME THING HAPPEN... well kinda... 2 weeks ago I brought home a maxima, I put it in the sand (after carefull acclimation of course) and one 1 nas snail out of the 6 I have, went freaking APE S***! Putting its little dealy up and smelling for the clam. I moved it away from the snail 3 times and sure enough it followed the ?scent? ! I finally let the snail get on it, (figured it was gonna get it sooner or later) it went CRAZY!!!!! It did not eat the mantle but was right on it grubbing down on some calcium based worm tube. I could actually hear him eating/grinding on whatever it was. I was also freaking out thinking WTF! After about 5 min of the snail looking like he was completely insane, he slowly creeped off the clams mantle which was totally closed by this time like yours. One of the weirdest things I have seen in my tank. Clam is fine now, and nas snail has not bothered it again.

firstimereefer
OOOOKKKKK I had this SAME THING HAPPEN... well kinda... 2 weeks ago I brought home a maxima, I put it in the sand (after carefull acclimation of course) and one 1 nas snail out of the 6 I have, went freaking APE S***! Putting its little dealy up and smelling for the clam. I moved it away from the snail 3 times and sure enough it followed the ?scent? ! I finally let the snail get on it, (figured it was gonna get it sooner or later) it went CRAZY!!!!! It did not eat the mantle but was right on it grubbing down on some calcium based worm tube. I could actually hear him eating/grinding on whatever it was. I was also freaking out thinking WTF! After about 5 min of the snail looking like he was completely insane, he slowly creeped off the clams mantle which was totally closed by this time like yours. One of the weirdest things I have seen in my tank. Clam is fine now, and nas snail has not bothered it again.

I figured its in a better place now anyways but it was weird seeing the nas snail freak out like it did. What are you keeping yours under...lights that is?

Helfrichs Chick

A 70w halide, and 2 18w PCs.

OH and SORRY but dont let anyone tell you that clams have to have Mh. They do not. Its IS prefered but not a absolute gotta have. I had a lagoon tank with 14 clams, maximas, gigas, croceas, and derasa, and had them under PC 2( 55w) if I remember corrrect. They were in a shallow tank and not too far from the light but I had some really nice ones and had that tank for 4 years, never lost any color. AND I kept my nitrates at 40! :) They LOVED IT! The Gigas got to be 9 inches, from a 3 inch baby. I try not to tell people to do what I do, but to keep in mind what works for some may NOT work for others. I am not suggesting you throw a clam in a tank 3 ft from a 55w single PC, but IMO MH is just prefered. Nothing in this hoby is cut and dry, its all about finding "your" methods.

firstimereefer
A 70w halide, and 2 18w PCs.

OH and SORRY but dont let anyone tell you that clams have to have Mh. They do not. Its IS prefered but not a absolute gotta have. I had a lagoon tank with 14 clams, maximas, gigas, croceas, and derasa, and had them under PC 2( 55w) if I remember corrrect. They were in a shallow tank and not too far from the light but I had some really nice ones and had that tank for 4 years, never lost any color. AND I kept my nitrates at 40! :) They LOVED IT! The Gigas got to be 9 inches, from a 3 inch baby. I try not to tell people to do what I do, but to keep in mind what works for some may NOT work for others. I am not suggesting you throw a clam in a tank 3 ft from a 55w single PC, but IMO MH is just prefered. Nothing in this hoby is cut and dry, its all about finding "your" methods.

Well after doing a little more research on my own late last night I believe I made the right decision, It seems that derasa do the best under PC and squamosa can do preatty well under it as well, but the Maximas and Crocea's do the best under MH, if and only if I try it again it would be a derasa next time. DOn't everyone come after me on that, its only and if statement.

Well after doing a little more research on my own late last night I believe I made the right decision, It seems that derasa do the best under PC and squamosa can do preatty well under it as well, but the Maximas and Crocea's do the best under MH, if and only if I try it again it would be a derasa next time. DOn't everyone come after me on that, its only and if statement.

That sounds like a good idea, a derasa would do good under your lighting! If and when you got a derasa, i would put it about 1/2 up your tank just to get more light, but it probly would do good just about anywhere.Not to sure about squamosa, havnt done alot of research on them.

firstimereefer
That sounds like a good idea, a derasa would do good under your lighting! If and when you got a derasa, i would put it about 1/2 up your tank just to get more light, but it probly would do good just about anywhere.Not to sure about squamosa, havnt done alot of research on them.

I have heard squamosa do ok under PC from what I have read

Archived