Cultivated Reef

Nassarius snail eating a clam

firstimereefer

firstimereefer

I came home tonight and found one of my nassrius snail trying to eat my clam. Is this common and if so what should I do to preven this. I hope its not too late for the clam. IT is all closed up and i moved it to a very hard to reac place for tonight. I have no problem getting rid of the snail, but if i do what should i get to replace them and their sand cleaning skills.

firstimereefer

It was doing fine earlier today, I fed it and it was fully open like 5 hours ago, then I went to a basketball game, came home and checked on the tank and saw the snail on it. The clam is all closed up right now and there is some mucus hanging from it. I am hoping in the morning everything is all good. I just got the clam last night, and it was very responsive today.

There probably was something wrong with the clam. The only time snails have gone after one of my clams was after my flame picked at the mantle and stessed the clam. After that it was like a shark feeding frenzy with the snails. I would try and isolate the clam in another tank. The snails will eventually find the clam again.

firstimereefer

I dont have another tank , but maybe the lfs store might be able to watch it for a bit. I will have to check with them tomorrow. Here is a pic of it right now, it is a maximus

post-23565-1169099850_thumb.jpg

My nassarius snails are like vultures...it's rediculous. They haven't picked on anything living yet, however.

Its weird because at 5pm the clam was fully open and then i came home at 11 pm from the basketball game (Bulls won) and it was being attacked. I do feed my snails as well. I always make sure a few pieces of mysis are on the bottom for them. I just checked on it and it seems to be opening a little bit, and i put my hand over it and it did close, so it is still responsive. I am just hoping it makes it until the morning, i need to get some sleep.

Sometimes when I get a new clam the shell is covered with misc. items(macroalgae, dirt, etc.). At first the hermits and nassarius will pick at the outer part of the shell cleaning it. Maybe this is what the snail was doing and just stressed the clam.

firstimereefer
Sometimes when I get a new clam the shell is covered with misc. items(macroalgae, dirt, etc.). At first the hermits and nassarius will pick at the outer part of the shell cleaning it. Maybe this is what the snail was doing and just stressed the clam.

Thats is a good thought I am really hoping this is what happened, I am nervous about going home from work today to see a dead clam, but I will only think happy thoughts.

Hey Aaron.

Nah, your Clam was dead already. The Nassarius is just doing it's job of scavenging, and cleaning it up. I would get the remains outta your tank ASAP, before you have a HUGE spike, and your tank smells terrible. I don't think any species of Clam will survive under your Nano Cube lighting, especially a Maxima.

Did your LFS sell you that, knowing your lighting params? If so, I would find a new LFS.

From the pics, it's Definetely already dead.

D

firstimereefer
Hey Aaron.

Nah, your Clam was dead already. The Nassarius is just doing it's job of scavenging, and cleaning it up. I would get the remains outta your tank ASAP, before you have a HUGE spike, and your tank smells terrible. I don't think any species of Clam will survive under your Nano Cube lighting, especially a Maxima.

Did your LFS sell you that, knowing your lighting params? If so, I would find a new LFS.

From the pics, it's Definetely already dead.

D

I should mention i upgraded my lighting again not halide but 96W PC. It's not dead because i just got home for lunch and it is wide open. I put my hand over the light and it closed like it should, so I dont know what to think. I will dose the little guy after work with marine snow and see how it handles. From my research I have seen others on here with that high of PC successfully keeping clams. I have a buddy with metal halide that I could give him to if it starts going down hill a little.

avalanche1201

you could try to find a plastic shower caddy thing...something that can hold the clam and has holes in it for water flow...or u could use a new glad ware and put some holes in there big enough for water flow and for the clam...but small enough for the snails to get in...also make sure they cant climb over the sides of it....its like a temp fuge were u can hold him until he gets better...

good luck

firstimereefer
you could try to find a plastic shower caddy thing...something that can hold the clam and has holes in it for water flow...or u could use a new glad ware and put some holes in there big enough for water flow and for the clam...but small enough for the snails to get in...also make sure they cant climb over the sides of it....its like a temp fuge were u can hold him until he gets better...

good luck

I know that when i dose it tonight i am going to have it in somethind and i might just try a little container, i will rig something up for it.

Once the clam muscle(?) starts pulling from its shell and the mantle starts shrinking, there's a good chance that it's in the process of dying. Nassarius snails don't eat clams without reason to - they're scavengers and sense that something is decaying/dying and make the best of the situation.

firstimereefer
Once the clam muscle(?) starts pulling from its shell and the mantle starts shrinking, there's a good chance that it's in the process of dying. Nassarius snails don't eat clams without reason to - they're scavengers and sense that something is decaying/dying and make the best of the situation.

I think I might be in the clear, I am not for sure on this, but just a thought.

I know some say 96W is enough, is just really is'nt. The intensity is what the clams need. Do you know what it was kept in previously?

Clams die a really long, slow death, could take as much as a couple weeks, but, I wouold def. see if you can get it under some Halides ASAP.

D

I know some say 96W is enough, is just really is'nt. The intensity is what the clams need. Do you know what it was kept in previously?

Clams die a really long, slow death, could take as much as a couple weeks, but, I wouold def. see if you can get it under some Halides ASAP.

D

96w is no where near enuff for a maxima in a tank, i keep mine in a 30gal with a 175w MH over the tank it does great.. But you need to upgrade your lighting or get rid of it, cause its not going to last very long under those pc's!

firstimereefer

the pic was taken within a minute after i placed it in a different spot after finding the snail on it. The clam is fully open tonight and looking much better, none of the snails have been seen bothering it since the lights went out. I want to note that a friend of mine who has MH lighting will be the recipient of the clam tomorrow he just contacted me back about it, I and getting some zoo for it so i guess its a win win situation. On the plus side everything else is doing good in the tank.

Ya thats good the clam would have evenually died under that light, but you are getting some zoo's for it! Thats cool, hope the clam does good in the other tank! :)

firstimereefer

me too, in the end i think its the best for everyone including the clam, yeah it probably would have done "ok" in my tank but it will Thrive in my buddy's tank

Archived