Cultivated Reef

my 125G reef ready

mattyice

Well i was at my petco and got my new tank, my 125 RR tank that has two overflows and a stand all of that out the door for 600

Well anyways i am going to be building the canopy and i already have a ballast for two 250W metal halide bulbs, im thinking about that with two Ushio 20,000K bulbs

plumbing will be going down to a 55G sump flowing over to a 20L fuge, back up to the tank using two Sedra 9000 for extra flow and two Mag-drive 9.5 pumps to feed my PM Bullet-1 protein skimmer.

going with about 140 pounds of sand, and for now about 95 lbs of LR, will add cured as i can

my question is, with parabolic reflectors put sideways will that be enough light to light the entire 6ft. length or should i use 3 175W lights considering there are three braces going front to back on the tank? i know the ballast can light 175W bulbs but if i do that i think i will drop them down to 14,000K since the ballast will overdrive the bulbs

ALRIGHT GUYS A NEW UPDATE OF LIVESTOCK ON PAGE 9, INCLUDING SOME KICKASS ANTHIAS AND THE RAREST TRIGGER IN THE WORLD

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hollister_08

I would go with 3 250w MH and use 14k bulbs with no actinic's, remember that the 20k's will be alot of blue, and not a whole lot of white, and the 14k's will give you the right amount of both blue, and white light!!I think you would be beter off with that, but other wise it sounds great...

Why do you have 2 post's???

Obsessed Reefer

I second the two post....... this one is in the large tank forum, other in members aquariums. Dude. Pick one. and have a mod close the other. Please.

I would go with 2x20K bulbs. I have a 14K and Actinics on my cube and dont see a difference from the PC bulbs. When I get a new bulb, I'm going for a 20K. But it's all personal preference. Don't let anyone tell you what to buy. I would think that maybe the get the 3x light, and have two 20K's on the outside and a 10K in the middle, that would be very interesting.

Jesse

hollister_08
I second the two post....... this one is in the large tank forum, other in members aquariums. Dude. Pick one. and have a mod close the other. Please.

I would go with 2x20K bulbs. I have a 14K and Actinics on my cube and dont see a difference from the PC bulbs. When I get a new bulb, I'm going for a 20K. But it's all personal preference. Don't let anyone tell you what to buy. I would think that maybe the get the 3x light, and have two 20K's on the outside and a 10K in the middle, that would be very interesting.

Jesse

Ya it would be very interesting with the two 20k's on the side's and a 10k in the middle... But if he was wanting to keep a reef tank, like with sps and clam's, etc.. It would be beter to go with the 14k, because the 20k wont give you as much growth with your coral's, but the 14k's would be perfect for a sps tank... Then again its all up to how your doin your tank, and what you think about it!!

hollister_08
15K? That is most likely a 14K for more money.

I would go with 14k, but thats me... I like it just with the perfect amount of blue and white light, but if you like 20k's go for it!!! What type of coral's are you putting in your tank????

sorry the thread in the member aquarium section can be deleted i put this in the large aquarium section because of what someone said so i didnt mean to keep that one going but people kept posting in the other one, so here this one stays and the other thread can be deleted

im going to go with either 14,000K or 15,000K 175W Ushio bulbs with spider reflectors and a ballast for all three to be lit on going to be having a 55G sump with a 10G top off and a 10G holding tank

What do you guys think of this stocking list

-Flame Angel

-school of 8 Lyretail anthias

-2 shrimp/goby pairs for each end of the tank (Yasha Gobies w/ candy stripe pistol shrimp)

-a baby sohal tang (added last)

-Oynx/Picasso pair (wicked hybrids will soon happen)

Congrats on the nice upgrade. I really like your stocking list. I was at RMS yesterday and they had a bunch of anthias. I was thinking to myself how sweet a school of those would look. I've heard good/bad about flame angels (bugging corals), but still think they're cool, love those crazy looking percs, shrimp/goby pairs are nice, but could set up camp in a place you won't see them much. Good luck and have fun with the upgrade. Do you ever go to C-Sea meetings? I go on and off depending on what's on the agenda. I'm going to try to make to the one in a few weeks.

VannReefer87

Everything sounds good to me, I just bought the same tank set-up but I have some different equipment then you. I went with a 40g acrylic sump and a Sequence Reeflo Snapper external pump. I used a Outer Orbit Lighting system with 3x150w MH with Phoenix 14k's and 400w of PC 420nm actnics and it provides plenty of light for whatever, including SPS.

cmador i am not a member of c-sea yet and i havent had a chance to go to the meetings yet, i am thinking abotu dropping the shrimp goby pair because of what i have heard about them making burrows in places you dont want them, i dunno what i will use to replace them but maybe another baby sohal, as for the flame angel i have had him for about 4-5 years and he has yet to pick at anything including a clam, im going to be adding a few clams and am most likely going to order the cleaning crew from etropicals since orders over 60 are free shipping, as for sand im going to try and find anything close to southdown sand because i really dont want to spend a ton of money on argonite sand, lighting is being changed to 3 175 MH retros with spider reflectors, im no longer going to have a 20L fuge since more then 20G will be dedicated to the fuge in the sump, instead im going to be putting a 10G tank filled with RO water for a top off system

3 175 MH retros with spider reflectors

I like the sound of that. How about a lawnmower blenny? I always thought they were cool looking. I heard they have great personalities and they will chow on any algea you might have. I've seen some big(6"+) ones, too.

I would get a blue tang, and 3 yellow tangs, the anthias, and clowns.

I'd only get one yellow tang, even in a 125g, 3 would fight. Good luck with the decisions. I'm currently setting up a 90g RR and I'm trying to figure out my stock list to.

will that be enough light you think? thats a little too expensive for what i get...i can get a triple ballast, 3 reflectors, 3 mogul bases, 2 Icecap Fans and 3 20,000K hamilton bulbs for that price

ive decided on a Hamilton 6' 3MH retrofit with a 6' spider reflector, only cost me 700 and it comes with 3 bulbs of my choice

FINAL STOCKING LIST:

-Flame Angel

-8 Lyretail Anthias

-Longnose Hawkfish

-Sohal Tang (baby)

-Oynx Clown Pair

hamilton lighting sells them, and bluezooaquatics.com sells them too direct from hamilton technology it costs 670 plus shipping for one with a magnetic ballast and it is 835 plus shipping for one with a electronic ballast, the magnetic doesnt bother me too much because im going to have a fan in the stand pulling out air towards a return duct, and im going with hamiltons 14,000K bulbs for it, im splitting the cost with my dad so it really isnt too bad of a price for it, i just need to get a hood made and my icecap fans, im prolly going to order everything monday so i can get everything moved over for next saturday when i hand the 90G bowfront over to the next owner, the anthias and sohal im going to be ordering from hector over a tropical aquarium, the longnose hawk and maybe something else will be bought with store credit i have at wet pets, and im orderng the oynx pair from liveaquaria.com

the tank is being picked up tomorrow and im getting all of the wood tomorrow to make the hood, going to be 8" tall with 2" of it sliding over the ugly black plastic trim around the tank, the only thing is i dont think that i will be able to buy a 18" wide piece of wood for the top of the canopy so im going to go with some finishing plywood and seal it up real good, i might bite the bullet and to keep the inside of the hood from rotting going to coat all of it in a thin layer of silicone, the hood will lift up though for easy access should look good when im done

well i m going to be posting over in the C-Sea section at RC and if you didnt know this is the same mattyice, i just fished the painting and im waiting to get it downstairs in the mean time i have ALOT of stuff for sale including a 40G breeder tank and lighting for it, i will just post everything there

Archived