inTank Media Baskets

Werid BTA behavior

Tentacles

EDIT: and that^ would be weird, not werid, hahah sorry!

Ive had my bta for about a month now, about a 5 month system, its all matured quite well in the tank, keeping some very healthy looking frogspawn, variety of zoas, candy cane, ricordia, its all split multiple times, got a very happy looking derasa clam bout 4 inches. Water params are all checked out, so Im trying to find out what the deal is.

the deal: my gbta likes to shrivel up everyday in the morning when the lights come on, actually always about an hour after theyve been on, and by shrivel up I mean deflate compleeeeetely, and then everyday at about 6 or 7pm when the lights have been goin for about 6 hours or so, it will fill back up, but just a little bit, and will open up huge at night (id say 4 times bigger than its shriveled state), all night, every time the lights go out. It is hosting a 2.5inch maroon, and I dont think the maroon is being too rough, so Im stumped as to why its doing this. It wont eat much either(lack of food? maybe it doesnt like what im feeding it??), and I dont get this part, but its in the shape of a three leaf clover right now ?!?!?! maybe trying to split?

running a very successful seaclone 100 skimmer, 50w heater, 2 hobs one for rubble one for the heater, and 80w pc current usa lighting.

the way it does this when the lights come on makes me think lighting but why would a bta not like 80watts of pc in a 10gallon tank?? ....im stumped

thanks for any help guys and gals, id give a pic but my macbook camera aint worth sh!t for a reef tank pic, ill try to borrow a good camera tomorrow

It sounds to me like your anemone is trying to split.... Heres a BTA that is splitting, i did a quick search on google...

http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/0304/bta_split.html

you may be right, ill keep an eye on it, the maroon doesnt seem to be affected by anything, or any of my corals, so no bad stuffs being secreted from it so I dont know how it would be sick.....thanks for the info.

hollister_08
you may be right, ill keep an eye on it, the maroon doesnt seem to be affected by anything, or any of my corals, so no bad stuffs being secreted from it so I dont know how it would be sick.....thanks for the info.

YEP, YEP always here to help....

mine does the opposite.

Stretches out like crazy as soon as the lights go on.

It shrinks up tiny at night.

It also barely bubbles. Only with actinic on.

At first I thought it didn't have enough light as it sort of hides under this rock where it doesn't get too much, but it's grown to 4 times it's original size in the 3 months I've had it.

hollister_08
mine does the opposite.

Stretches out like crazy as soon as the lights go on.

It shrinks up tiny at night.

It also barely bubbles. Only with actinic on.

At first I thought it didn't have enough light as it sort of hides under this rock where it doesn't get too much, but it's grown to 4 times it's original size in the 3 months I've had it.

I guess it is happy during the day, it likes the spot it is in so it expands its tentacles to the light....

Hey tentacles can you put up a pic of your tank... i would love to see it!!!

Dude, check your params at a few times during the day. I think it may have to do with PH rising and falling.

Worth a shot.

excellent idea

anyway to stabilize the ph better? i know it will change with how long your lights have been running, would I need a buffer of some sort?

yep ill post some pics today of the anemone and its dealio and then a fts....i havent done much to my members aquariums thread haha

thanks for the help again guys

workin on the camera...

post-22663-1167862252_thumb.jpg

for some reason right now it wont let me add any more photos even if I start a new reply....we'll see if itll work out in a minute

post-22663-1167862087_thumb.jpg

hollister_08
workin on the camera...

post-22663-1167862252_thumb.jpg

for some reason right now it wont let me add any more photos even if I start a new reply....we'll see if itll work out in a minute

WHERE IS THE ANEMONE????? I dont see it in any of your pics, all i see are frogspawn, clam, trumpet, and some polpys...

WHERE IS THE ANEMONE????? I dont see it in any of your pics, all i see are frogspawn, clam, trumpet, and some polpys...

thats the workin on the camera part ;)

sorry but my filespace available is only 416.12k.....its never that small, i dont get it

update: just wont fit sorry, and photobucket is a pain to sign up for

i dont understand why the site is only allowing 416k space for me to add images, its never been like that.....bad NR

just open a photobucket account. You get too little space here.

I like your Derasa. How is it doing under 80 watts PC? How long have you had it?

Best way to keep PH stable is to run a fuge with opposite light cycle to your tank. Adding buffer is a pain. Just see if PH is potentially a problem first.

hollister_08
thats the workin on the camera part ;)

sorry but my filespace available is only 416.12k.....its never that small, i dont get it

update: just wont fit sorry, and photobucket is a pain to sign up for

i dont understand why the site is only allowing 416k space for me to add images, its never been like that.....bad NR

IDK, i guess the site is just screwy!!!! lol :)

alrighty here we go

fts to give an idea of its environment, its on the bigger whiter piece of base rock im coloring up now, and at night it completely dominates the right side of the tank, cant even see it in this pic :( : http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/ben...nt=IMG_1768.jpg

and the poor little shriveled gbta: http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/ben...nt=IMG_1770.jpg

I havent had the derasa long, week now, but it seems to be doing good under the PC, derasas are the most forgiving of clams on both lighting and water conditions, and I put it through EZcompany to see if he approved ;) Im very happy with it and its got some new growth stripes.

HOLY CRAP!!!

That is not right.

I KNOW! :( everything else is just fone too! I need to do some ph testing at the lfs tomorrow.

Ill post a pic once the lights go out later tonight for you to get the idea of the drastic change it does. And the damned thing wont eat, Im about 99% that has something to do with it, its eaten maybe 6 times since I got the bugger A MONTH AGO. JUST EAT!!!

And Idog one Q: think if I run my led moonlight dinky thing at night it might have any effect on PH?

hollister_08
I KNOW! :( everything else is just fone too! I need to do some ph testing at the lfs tomorrow.

Ill post a pic once the lights go out later tonight for you to get the idea of the drastic change it does. And the damned thing wont eat, Im about 99% that has something to do with it, its eaten maybe 6 times since I got the bugger A MONTH AGO. JUST EAT!!!

And Idog one Q: think if I run my led moonlight dinky thing at night it might have any effect on PH?

You should force feed it, get a little baster of some sort, and suck some food up into it, then put it right up to its mouth during the night when its big... And just squeze it into the mouth untill its all gone....

You should force feed it, get a little baster of some sort, and suck some food up into it, then put it right up to its mouth during the night when its big... And just squeze it into the mouth untill its all gone....

tried that with frozen brine shrimp, just gaped its mouth wide open and let it all spill out, and the clown will have at it.

EDIT: also its on a standard 12 hour light cycle, 12pm all comes on, 12am midnight all goes off

hollister_08
tried that with frozen brine shrimp, just gaped its mouth wide open and let it all spill out, and the clown will have at it.

EDIT: also its on a standard 12 hour light cycle, 12pm all comes on, 12am midnight all goes off

Maybe you should take it down to 10 or 9 hours a day.... I only run my light 7 hours 1 pm to 8 pm... That is also because i need to get rid of my hair algae...

Maybe you should take it down to 10 or 9 hours a day.... I only run my light 7 hours 1 pm to 8 pm... That is also because i need to get rid of my hair algae...

maybe 12pm to 10pm? Ill try that starting tonight

Dude have you ever owned a BTA?

Don't force feed it, you'll just stress it further and add more nutrients to your tank.

IMO this is a water quality issue. What did it look like when you bought it? These little buggers can be sensitve in newer tanks.

hollister_08
Dude have you ever owned a BTA?

Don't force feed it, you'll just stress it further and add more nutrients to your tank.

IMO this is a water quality issue. What did it look like when you bought it? These little buggers can be sensitve in newer tanks.

Of corse i have, but i have heard of other peoples BTA's not eating, and they forced feed them for a week or two, got them nice and healty, and the BTA started eating again on its own... So it just all depends...

i think im gunna try some shrimp next, only tried it once and i think it actually ate it but that was when I had to feed it real quick and then leave for a day so it may have been eaten by the bta or the CUC or something....

idog theres where im starting to think, what it was like before it got to me, but it looked great when it first arrived....I got it off ebay hahah ;) but it didnt have these issues until it got stuck in a sponge covered intake, heres my account of it in my member thread when it happened a while ago, and a very small pic of what it looked like before it got stuck....think its still trying to heal? its sort of just gotten worse.... It wasnt that damaged initially and it does this shriveling daily, Id think itd be over it by now.

---quote from my thread the day it got stuck--- woke up this morning to find my bta aka RETARD stuck in the powerhead, except heres the best part......I had a sponge covering the intake! HE WAS STUCK INSIDE A SPONGE.....got so stupidly curious and stuck himself on the sponge all night long until he got caught, and made a mess of my tank. Hes alive and looks 99% the same as before (just alittle part where he got stretched some) but now the tanks all cloudy and when I turned to PH back on all this anemone goo came out and now its even cloudier

now heres my important question, if an anemone gets stuck but comes out ok- no death- but leaves your tank water cloudy, is that a tank fowl??? everything in the tank looks fine, just quite cloudy..just do a good water change and not worry too much about it?----end quote---

and a small pic of it first day i had it: post-22663-1167884182.jpg

and photobucket pics of me turning the lights on right quick to get an ''open at night'' pic:

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/ben...nt=IMG_1772.jpg

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/ben...nt=IMG_1771.jpg

thing just looks funky all the time, i dont get it, tests tomorrow...

edit: and one last thing, even after it got itself stuck, it was always fully inflated and walked around for several days trying to find a new home to stick to, and once it stuck itself where it is, the shriveling began to happen.

Archived