Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Skunk cleaner died in 5 minutes.

wav3form

bummer, and thats pretty poor on the no return policy, doesnt sound like a nice place.

longest thing ive ever spent time acclimating was a bta for about a half hour, everything else, clown and corals, about 15 minutes, snails and hermits i just drop em in, never had a single problem, i think your acclimating is fine and the lfs screwd you a bit, bummer, hope it wasnt too much $$, an lfs here wants $30 for a skunk and $35 for a blood red shrimp...crazy

x2...I have never done anything more then a 10-15min bag float then into the tank they go.

I have done this with Puffers, lions, triggers, crabs, shrimps, 3 of the octopus that I had...I never had ANY problems

they all lived a pretty long life. except the octo only about a year but thats all they really live for anyway year-1.5yr max.

a Good local fish store will credit..my LFS gie you like 3days full credit, 15days 1/2 credit and 30days 1/3 credit

chuckfullservice

Sorry for your loss! I didn't see anybody ask you about your water params ?

Wheres your Ph at also salinity levels ? Nobody mentions it here but I always take a sample from the bag the fish/coral/invert comes in and test the ph and salinity levels . All LFS are different and this should determine acclimation time . If the readings are close to your tank I have personally found that 30 -45 mins is plenty .

But if your salinity is off by more then 1 or you Ph is off by more then .1 you should take a little longer 1.5 -2.0 acclimation time will be needed also I recomend aclimating in the dark , its less stressful . I have had plenty of losses due to improper aclimation and weak fish . You have to remember you have no clue to how this creature was treated up until the time he was put into a sales tank .

He could have been on his last leg . Every one here has had a loss of a new critter make shure there is no amonia in your tank , also give us some specs please on tank and water !

dont worry.

i acclimated a cleaner and acclimated him for about 2 hours, then died within 20 mintues.

bought another, same thing, died w/in 20 mintues of 1.5 hour acclimation

THIS TIME. acclimated him for about 30 mintues, and has lived for about one day now and is already eating (fed him about 20 mintues ago) and looks great.

I'd say 30min-1hour acclimation for everything is sufficent.

just my $.02

ps. dont dump them in....have a bucket right below your tank, and after the acclimation is done inside the store bag, have your net over the back and dump the water into the bag through the net so it catches the shrimp, then slowly place him in the tank, so he still cannot escape from the net. put the edge of the net against a piece of LR and let him crawl out onto LR and turn the lights OFF.

that seems like the most unstreesful way to do things.

Sounds like a store that would be losing my business. they should at least have a 24 hour policy. How are your water parimiters. Is there anything in the tank that might have killed it. Had a green hair mushroom eat one once and spit out the remains. If it was stressed it wont take much to kill it off.

Good news, I bought another skunk shrimp and it seems to be doing very well so far. I followed the acclimation guide at fostersmith:

( http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general...9&subref=AI ) where I floated him in the bag, emptied him in a bucket with the bag water and then dripped in tank water over the course of an hour or so. When that water doubled in volume I emptied half and then let it fill again and then put him in the tank.

I think I just rushed it on the last one because everything in my tank seems to be doing very well, my hammer is growing and my clown and cuc are all fat and happy.

chicago_animal

Almost all LFS have at least a day or so on FreshWater. In terms of Salt Water, I can see them not having a warranty as they dont want to have someone who doesnt know anything about saltwater take it home and kill it as little as an hour. It is great to have a warranty but I can also see why some don't.

Funny, I haven't acclimated anything in my tank and nothing has died including my pistol shrimp, peppermint shrimp and yashia goby.

Almost all LFS have at least a day or so on FreshWater. In terms of Salt Water, I can see them not having a warranty as they dont want to have someone who doesnt know anything about saltwater take it home and kill it as little as an hour. It is great to have a warranty but I can also see why some don't.
5. If its a coral, expose to air for about 30seconds, let it build up a slime layer to help protect it. SPS especially.

I work at a SW store, and Ive been told to never bag a coral with air in the bag because it can kill it on the way home. Why would you pull it out?

Shrimp are sensitive to changes in salinity. How do you measure your salinity, and did you compare your's to the LFS water the shrimp came in? If the two were different you may have needed a much longer acclimation.

Helfrichs Chick
not nearly long enough. try about an hour, maybe an hour and 1/2 next time.

I bet that was your problem. IMO you need to acclimate fish for an hour, and certian corals and inverts for 2-3.edit: I like the way they describe it here. http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/livestock/acc_guide.php

Personally I dont acclimate stuff like Xenia and wouldnt do blue damsels. lol. <Hate xenia lol

Archived