ReefCleaners.org

Skunk cleaner died in 5 minutes.

wav3form

I just got a skunk cleaner and acclimated it and it went belly up in about five minutes after adding him to my tank. Any ideas why this happened?

mandarin dragonet

its farfetched,but maybe copper, i agree he might of moulted in the shop and he was injured. moulting brings alotof stress on them if theyre suddenly exposed to a net after them. the shop should provide adequate shelter of rocks for moulting shrimps. my LFS keep them in their coral tanks and they hide in the corals if moulting.

It was a fairly small shrimp and I did acclimate it properly. They have a zero return policy on any marine animal so taking it back wouldn't do me any good - I tried it before on another animal with them. My clown fish and hermits/snails are doing great so maybe I just did something to kill the poor shrimp.

I think i'll get one from fostersmith.com since they have a guarantee and not do business with the lfs anymore.

how did you aclimate it?

I floated it and added some tank water slowly over about 15 minutes.

Someone mentioned copper but I never used copper at any time. Wouldn't copper kill hermits and snails and such? They're doing well in my tank. Can someone recommend an online place to buy another cleaner?

most inverts need about a 1/2 hour to 1 hour to get acclimated correctly form what people say, i have taken shrimp dumped them right into the tank and they lived for a day before my mantis finally found them

I don't know, some people say long acclimation, others say that just unnecessarily stresses them. FWIW, everything I've added to my tank went through a short <30 minutes acclimation, including my Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. So far, I haven't had anything die due to this acclimation procedure.

That happened to my cleaner shrimp. 15 mins and dead after a 1.5 hour acclimation process. My water pramaters are fine and everything. What I figured out was the poor little guy was goi gnuts in the bag up in till the end of the acclimation. He basicaly stress killed himself.

A zero return policy? Is this typical of fish stores? I know mine has a 3-day policy (which is what I normally see).

bummer, and thats pretty poor on the no return policy, doesnt sound like a nice place.

longest thing ive ever spent time acclimating was a bta for about a half hour, everything else, clown and corals, about 15 minutes, snails and hermits i just drop em in, never had a single problem, i think your acclimating is fine and the lfs screwd you a bit, bummer, hope it wasnt too much $$, an lfs here wants $30 for a skunk and $35 for a blood red shrimp...crazy

its farfetched,but maybe copper...

Not farfetched at all Mandarin, in fact you could be dead spot on. Ive repeatedly said metals in the tank can kill inverts whether you acclimate or not. I just posted an article about trace elements in advanced forum...and well...I'll let Ronald Shimek explain it himself Wav3. Im still trying to process everything I read.

Tang

my LFS has a no return policy also, but the petco down the road (which actually has the best saltwater livestock i've seen in my area) has a guarentee and their cleaner shrimp are $16-20

A store that does not warranty their stuff for 24 hours does not deserve your business. It's just a credit and they mark their stuff up maybe 4-5X.

Some of these guys are criminals...

are you sure it was dead?

Inverts esp shrimp and lobsters normally go into a short shock if they arent acclimated long enough. How long did you leave the shrimp in the tank for? if it wasnt long, then the shrimp probably wasnt dead, just in shock and would have turned around.

however u should temp acclimate and then either drip for 1 hr, of do a couple of scoups for one hour and never use the water the item came in.

That sucks. :(

As for my Skunk Cleaner shrimp, it had an exiteing acclimation... I was doing the normal drip method (I do it about 45-60min removing 50% of the water whenever the water doubles) when I got clumsy and kicked over the darn container it was in... The shrimp ended up carpet surfing right under my tanks stand, I could not see it. I got a flash light, found it, and when I went to get it somehow it moved and got into a 90 degree elbow PVC pipe I use as feet for the stand. Unaware where it was I had to look under there again and saw it's feelers sticking out of the pipe. I pushed the stand forward, pulled out the pipe and frantically dumped the shrimp back into the container. It must have been out of the tank for a good 4+ min.

It lived! it's been happy and healthy looking for 2 months now, it's also molted two times since.

^ Wow, my first cleaner shrimp molted in the bag while being acclimated. Did fine and ate for about a week, then went to shrimp heaven. My guess is also that your's must have just molted at your lfs. No return policy= wack.

hey man, hate to say this but...

all inverts, need extra time to acclimate... they are way more sensitive than fish.

1. Dump half the water down the drain

2. This is what i do, float bag for 15mintues to get temp the same as tank.

3. Add about 10ml of water every 10minutes for 2 hours.

4. Do not dump it into tank from bag, scoop it out with hands or net... if its a starfish, make sure you do not expose it to water.

5. If its a coral, expose to air for about 30seconds, let it build up a slime layer to help protect it. SPS especially.

Inverts can not tolerate any sudden changes in ph or temp, or anything really. I had a kalk reactor that malfunctioned one time... my calc went skyrocketing to 1k calcium over a matter of minutes. And all my snails bugged because the PH rose like crazy! I think i had over 9Ph... basically my whole tank was toast. That was the last time i used an ATO unit!

hey man, hate to say this but...

all inverts, need extra time to acclimate... they are way more sensitive than fish.

1. Dump half the water down the drain

2. This is what i do, float bag for 15mintues to get temp the same as tank.

3. Add about 10ml of water every 10minutes for 2 hours.

4. Do not dump it into tank from bag, scoop it out with hands or net... if its a starfish, make sure you do not expose it to water.

5. If its a coral, expose to air for about 30seconds, let it build up a slime layer to help protect it. SPS especially.

Inverts can not tolerate any sudden changes in ph or temp, or anything really. I had a kalk reactor that malfunctioned one time... my calc went skyrocketing to 1k calcium over a matter of minutes. And all my snails bugged because the PH rose like crazy! I think i had over 9Ph... basically my whole tank was toast. That was the last time i used an ATO unit!

"cpllongjk" is spot on. Inverts take hours, days, even weeks to adjust. The only way to perform this slow adjust is with a quarantine tank that can be adjusted accordingly. The problem is the invert is adjusting constantly to the different holding tanks it went through to get to you, salinity, temp, light et cetera and all the other factors that effect it. So matching it to the LFS is one step of many.

Its gonna be pretty stressed from day 1.

Basicly its impossible to acclimate something in 15 minutes, but at least 2 hours gives it a sporting chance.

Good luck! :)

Archived