Pod Your Reef

Intertidal tank Concept

jimmy595

This idea just popped into my head toninght for some reason. The purpose of this tank is to simulate the tides in a reef tank. I know there are some corals out there that grow in the intertidal regions, some zooanthus for instance, maybe some molluscs who knows or starfish! Here is the plan:

Intertidal_tank.bmp

Problems: Everything has to stay moist while it is emerged, thus a tight fitting lid and maybe an ac fuge dumping water in with a very low intake pipe to suck up water even at low tide and create splashing. Heater could go into the ac fuge as well (lol if that thing fails look out!). I'm not actually thinking about trying this, but do you think it would actually work for keeping some things that would naturally be found in the intertidal zone? Is there anyway that this kind of set up could benefit the tank inhabitants?

It might work, but there are so many design issues.

My input would be to have 2 return pumps. 1 strong enough to keep the water level up for "High Tide" and 1 strong enough to just keep low-tide. The only way to do this would be to have a drain at the bottom that the water flowed out of. The return for the weaker pump would have to be @ the bottom, too. That way the weaker pump would only pump as much as could drain from the bottom. This way the water level does not drop to zero and flood the sump. When it's time for high tide, the small pump is switched off and the large pump comes on. Large pump pumps up @ the top and the water is carried back down from the bottom drain as well as an overflow @ the top. Put a 1-way valve on each pump's line to the tank to prevent problems when one is off, and you're golden.

It's a good concept. It's a science-project style tank. There really isn't a practicality outside of a SeaWorld/Public Aquarium application, though. SeaWorld's starfish system has always fascinated me. I'd spend a lot of time as a kid waiting for the simulated tide to change. lol. You theoretically could even run this as a closed-system biotope. Would be incredibly difficult to maintain, though.

Did I serve some use in my ranting? Hope so. I'll draw something up if I need a break from studying over the next few days.

P.S. I'm glad we still have some philosophical tank discussions happening around here. :)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

actually this would be quite easy to accomplish. heres how i'd do it.

drill your display for a stand pipe (with or without the false wall in your plans) 1/2 way down the stand pipe, drill a tiny hole.

when your pumps on(in the sump), it will provide your display with too much water to drain out the small hole 1/2 way up the stand pipe. the water will raise and use the standpipe to its full capasity. when the pump turns off, the display will slowly drain to the hole 1/2 way up the stand pipe.

you'd still need circulation for your display and sump when the main pump turns off. (powerhead/pump in each)

the only math you'll have to do is figure out how big the sump needs to be to allow the system to function when the pumps on and to store the extra water when its off.

ditto... think the "Borneman fush" simple design and you'll only need a small pump to run one.

I was just looking at one used in a tidal type set up over the weekend.

That flusher is a cool idea I just worry with a flusher capicity to drain half the tank at low tide, it may be too much flush when the water rushes back. i think the stand pipe idea would work well, and be easy to regulate. A wavemaker would be cool to have for when low tide comes. This would be a good tank to have at an aquarium.

Just put the return port only half way up the tank and when the power is cut it will back fill to a 50/50 level. No need to have teeth that far down into the tank, you'll have a heck of a time keeping the water level high enough for high tide. Otherwise sounds like a great idea, just use a light that can can be sealed around the display (again display only, keep the sump open for gas exchange...) to keep the humidity level high and you should be good to go.

chuckfullservice

Read about nano tunze turberlle. Its a power head with a control module so you can regulate when they come on and how much flow they produce , they are adjustable from what I read . I have one on order but I won't get it until after Christmas! Just a thought controllable water flow would help out alot especially since it sits in the tank and you can aim it at the rock you want to splash !

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&amp...r_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter020

Designed to simulate tidal currents !

Archived