SaltCritters.com

Periette's Reef (14g Biocube)

Periette

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks for the info...tanks looking good...do you have anything holding all those rocks in place that high?

Thanks. The rocks are held in place by a combination of placement (so they somewhat lock together) and epoxy for less-than-steady locations. I have had no tumbles at all.

For my new tank, I've got some beautiful pieces of rock so the structure is going to change somewhat from this. I am going to use rigid tubing 3/16" and drill in each rock to create a lock w/the tubing in each. I'll also use this to suspend pieces out from the main structure...just waiting for the stand, though.

Clifford, my orange turbo is doing fine. One of them (had 2) died, though. The left over guy is still plugging along. I will be getting 2 more (if possible) when I switch tanks but you will want to keep them small so they don't completely bulldoze everything.

I added that 'nanotuners light upgrade with the fans and im happy with it but wondering how much better are the fans compared to the stock ones that came with it. It seems like the stock one are quiet compared to the ones that came in the light kit. Also I was wondering what did you do with the leftover yellow wires in the hood it seems like they dont do anything. I hope they are not important hehe

Wow, I haven't seen you tank in a while and what a tank it is. It is looking great.

I really love you aquascaping I hope it you don't plan on changing it too much.

I am not sure if you are still interested, but I am betta tesing Kyle's 14" Refugium. We have touched on a few things to change but nothing major. I still have the prototype up and running and it has definilty helped with my water quality. Take a look at my thread if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=betta+test

Can't wait to see what you do next.

I added that 'nanotuners light upgrade with the fans and im happy with it but wondering how much better are the fans compared to the stock ones that came with it. It seems like the stock one are quiet compared to the ones that came in the light kit. Also I was wondering what did you do with the leftover yellow wires in the hood it seems like they dont do anything. I hope they are not important hehe

Hi, I honestly can't remember about the yellow wires but think I just bundled them up with the others (after trimming). The new fans are definitely more powerful and quieter - for me, atleast. I think that's most people's experience but know that Amazon got a faulty one but it was replaced, I believe.

Wow, I haven't seen you tank in a while and what a tank it is. It is looking great.

I really love you aquascaping I hope it you don't plan on changing it too much.

I am not sure if you are still interested, but I am betta tesing Kyle's 14" Refugium. We have touched on a few things to change but nothing major. I still have the prototype up and running and it has definilty helped with my water quality. Take a look at my thread if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=betta+test

Can't wait to see what you do next.

Hey, just checked out the beta fuge. Looking really good! I am going to sell the 14g BC when I upgrade, though; however, I will pass along this info as it will certainly be beneficial for the new owner!

Don't worry about the aquascaping - it's going to be hella cool in the new tank, too. I have 4 base rocks that are sweet, sweet, sweet and will be building off of that with some suspended pieces, etc. I'm going to use rigid tubing cut into pieces and then drill in the rocks so that the tubing will hold them together. This is how I will suspend the other rocks off of the main structure, as well.

If I were going to keep the 14g, I'd probably put a closed loop like another member did with a spray bar all around. The way the rocks are situated, I don't get much flow up high, which I don't like so I would change that up a bit. I have a Minijet 606 in the back behind the rocks but it doesn't add a whole lot of flow. It would probably be better to have some tubing split off to push the current up through the rocks. In my Cadlights, I've got a Tunze 6025 and the stock mammoth pump (think it's 475g-rated and it does push some current). I'm splitting that into a Y-locline w/2 outputs - tinkering with the idea of a Hydor on one and wide-output on the other but testing will ultimately tell what happens. I also installed a CPR Bak-Pack 2R on it and LOVE this thing. The footprint is minimal and it skims like a madman (if madmen skimmed). I also put a 2-fan unit on the back to assist in managing the temps. So far, it's holding nicely between 79-80.5 even w/the MH on for 8-9 hours so I'm very pleased.

I am also thinking of upgrading my tank and I haven't decided on which one yet. I like the Cad's, theFinnex and the RedSea Max has caught my eye as well.

Looking forward to your new setup. It would be great if you could photo document your scaping I am sure alot of people would be interested in how you did it.

I am also thinking of upgrading my tank and I haven't decided on which one yet. I like the Cad's, theFinnex and the RedSea Max has caught my eye as well.

Looking forward to your new setup. It would be great if you could photo document your scaping I am sure alot of people would be interested in how you did it.

Yeah, I know how the upgrade bug is. :) I briefly thought about the Finnex but am not interested in acrylic; the RedSea Max is quite pricey and seems a little locked in as far as mods (lights, etc.) so I ultimately opted for the Cadlights. My stand should be here tomorrow - yay!

I added a small black oscillaris and Jean-Claude went right into dominance-mode but did not hurt the new guy. Things are progressing and he (she) is clearly going to be switching genders so her name must change to Jeanne-Claudette and the new guy will be Michel. Right now, she lets him hang out in the front of the tank at night and then bullies him into the back overflow corner during the day. She won't let him eat yet but I'm hoping she does soon as he is a little piggy and wants his supper!

I will be starting a new thread and will document the progress as you noted. It's going to be a lot of fun moving everything around, let me tell you.

Well the idea is still fresh in my mind right now, but you have inspired me to eventually upgrade to the Cadlights tank.

I have been toying with the idea of making some type of custom tank enclosure to dress up the nano's for quite some time now. The Cadlights tank is so clean that it would really finish off my design nicely. I think I may go with the 22g tank only and have it drilled for sump filtration and use my BC14 for the sump. Not too sure yet though, I'll have to look at the idea on paper first to come up with something solid.

Well the idea is still fresh in my mind right now, but you have inspired me to eventually upgrade to the Cadlights tank.

I have been toying with the idea of making some type of custom tank enclosure to dress up the nano's for quite some time now. The Cadlights tank is so clean that it would really finish off my design nicely. I think I may go with the 22g tank only and have it drilled for sump filtration and use my BC14 for the sump. Not too sure yet though, I'll have to look at the idea on paper first to come up with something solid.

I do not think you will be disappointed. The tanks are really very attractive. Your enclosure idea sounds really cool though you could use a crap plain tank for the sump - the BC could be sold or used for something else (just too pretty IMO to put under a cabinet) - something to think about.

Darn, when did they get there?

They arrived Friday and the water was pretty cold. I acclimated them in salt water w/a bit of iodine (like I always do) but perhaps, the weather was to blame.

ReefApprentice

I included a heat pack too. Usually cold water doesn't kill them either. The iodine may have stressed them. Next time, acclimate temp and throw em in. Hope they are okay.

I included a heat pack too. Usually cold water doesn't kill them either. The iodine may have stressed them. Next time, acclimate temp and throw em in. Hope they are okay.

You sure did include a heat pack - didn't mean to imply otherwise. It's been fairly cold here lately so it is likely due to that more than anything. I'm not sure on the iodine. Normally, my zoas open right up in the water and are fine. I rinse in non-treated SW, acclimate to temp and then in they go. Everything's been good so far (for the most part).

I do not think you will be disappointed. The tanks are really very attractive. Your enclosure idea sounds really cool though you could use a crap plain tank for the sump - the BC could be sold or used for something else (just too pretty IMO to put under a cabinet) - something to think about.

I thought of that also but I hacked the crap out of the hood and and removed the hingeds so I don't think anyone would want a BC without a hingded hood. So I will try and incorperate the BC14 into my design maybe building something that allows me to veiw both tanks. But if I find someone who would be interested in the hacked up version of the BC I would be happy to sell it.

Hey Trish---

KILLER tank! I just spotted this thread outta the corner of my eye---Very nice!!

Where are my boys???

:) Top middle between the two white frag plugs. Only one of the boys has shown his face, though; guess the other one is very, very shy. LOL.

PPE.jpg

anyone out there familiar with light timers on biocubes? what is best

This is probably not a huge help but I used an Aquacontroller on my old, large reef so I opted for one on my Biocube. It takes all the stress out of timing for everything, including lights but I'm sure there are some other options out there.

I do know the Coralife timer strip has a bad reputation so wouldn't get that.

I put in the lighting upgrade from nanotuners along with the fans do you notice that the fans are louder than stock or is it just me? Was wondering what the difference is from stock fans they look similar

here is my tank 1 week old thanks for all your help guys

Love your rocks! Good job. Oh, the upgraded fans are slightly louder but they never bothered me (I've taken this tank down).

Here's what all the corals look like in the new 25g:

IMG_3965.jpg

Archived