Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Periette's Reef (14g Biocube)

Periette

The tank looks great. I also have a 14g BC and did the same upgrade to the lights but opted to stay with the stock moon lights. I also have the sapphire NC12 in the second chamber and plan on getting the HOB 14" fuge once it becomes available.

Kepp up the good work and I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks, everyone! Everything's coming along nicely and all is well parameter-wise. I am planning to do a water change soon (next few days).

Wah?? HOB fuge? Can you give more details about this or should I do a search (I'm fairly expert with that, ha)? I'm very interested in a fuge that could work for this as I like having the skimmer, as well, though it's been off for awhile due to epoxy. I also think I need to shorten the overflow a little as it might be contributing to the skimmer filling up too much; however, prior to the epoxy, it did not overflow. Still need to think on that.

I will post pics of all of the frags I got from Fraggle Reef. Unfortunately, there was a mix up on about 4-5 items and I got things I did not order. I'm awaiting a response from Miguel and I'm sure we will figure something out.

FYI, I kept the stock moonlights, too.

Xpistos, I've gone to Sea Save in Glen Burnie, MD for a few items (CUC, some equipment, etc.) as Exotic Aquatics is a hike from me. I'm in Catonsville. For my coral, I will likely keep going the frag route from trusted vendors or fellow reefers as most of what is available in stores is just too big.

Here are a few pics I took yesterday but you can see them now. I will post more later.

Neongreencandycane.jpg

Pinkzoow_blondskirt.jpg

Edited to add that I found the nano skimmer (14"x4"x14") on eBay from a link I found on another thread. Does anyone have one of these on a BC 14 and if so, how'd you mod it to work? On another note, lighting suggestions and anything else of interest is most appreciated. Oh, and looks like the skimmer's built in and last I checked, I don't need two. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are 2 different zoas on that rock - it's one of my faves! I've got another frag pack coming this afternoon from SoS and there are some really cool zoas that are colorful. Also, my Armor of Gods are slowly opening up more and more each day. They are BRIGHT!

Here's a FTS yesterday with my new finger leather and tiny xenia frag. I've moved some things around, as well and will post more shots of the new items once they open.

FTSleatherandxenia.jpg

Those are 2 different zoas on that rock - it's one of my faves! I've got another frag pack coming this afternoon from SoS and there are some really cool zoas that are colorful. Also, my Armor of Gods are slowly opening up more and more each day. They are BRIGHT!

Here's a FTS yesterday with my new finger leather and tiny xenia frag. I've moved some things around, as well and will post more shots of the new items once they open.

FTSleatherandxenia.jpg

Did you get an email with the tracking number today? Should be there by 3pm. Tank is looking great. Hope your happy with my stuff :) Can't wait to see pics of them in your tank.

Hey, no, I didn't - checked again and nothing but I will be on the lookout at 3:00. It's 50 degrees today so that's good shipping weather. :)

Can't wait to add the new goodies - I'm a zoa nutcase. They are probably my favorite corals! I moved a few things around (the cave rock is now on top further blocking the hydor flo) - I'm happy with that. I epoxied the leather as it was doing a little shaky dance and I didn't think it would hold for long. I've got some great places to put my new corals. It's going to be so pretty!

Will post more pics, of course!

Looks great, Tricia! Love the aquascape!

The stuff I am gonna send you will look great! Looks like you need a Neon Toadstool in there! :)

D

Looks great, Tricia! Love the aquascape!

The stuff I am gonna send you will look great! Looks like you need a Neon Toadstool in there! :)

D

Yeah! I like that idea! Lemme know, if you have one and I'll post $ for it prior to our delivery in January!

Sure do!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=12&t=98610

smaller ones:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...12&t=103474

Also have some killer Chameleon Mushrooms too.

D

Naughty! I will want the 1" neon toadstool and 1-2 of the chameleons. :) Let me know what that adds up to and I'll post payment so you can add that to our January delivery. Whoa! I'm gonna have some booty from you!

My zoas came from SoS - one word: gorgeous! Will post pics!

Naughty! I will want the 1" neon toadstool and 1-2 of the chameleons. :) Let me know what that adds up to and I'll post payment so you can add that to our January delivery. Whoa! I'm gonna have some booty from you!

My zoas came from SoS - one word: gorgeous! Will post pics!

LOL!!! I will send you a PM.

I hear SoS is a pretty stand up dude!

D

:) Cool, thanks! SoS IS a stand up dude and frakkity frak frak, his frags are fabulous (yeah, I'm on an "F" kick, it seems). Almost all were opened up by the time the lights went off tonight. Yay!

Oh, hell, important news of the moment...I pre-ordered a 25g Cadlights and should get it sometime in January. Here's my reasoning:

-I'm impatient and impetuous

-I want a fuge and it's gonna cost about $200 for a HOB for the 14g BC - my hood will have to be de-hinged and the back of it totally removed to do it. I'll be saving myself the trouble and still be able to sell my BC.

-I can get 150w HQI AND T5 actinics, more space, a fuge

-My pretty zoas and other darling corals will be so much brighter under MHs and I can add some SPS (hell, I went this same route w/my old 125g except I didn't trade up size but did revamp the entire canopy to house 3 MH fixtures then went SPS)

-I am a freak

So, that's it. The plan. AND I will be moving to Montréal in 6-8 months. Have no fear, kiddies, I'm not a noob nor dumb so hopefully, the tank move will go smoothly and Jean-Claude will be happier for it.

Wow, I just ran across an old pic of my 125g when it was in its softies-phase! This is shortly before I changed it to primarily SPS/LPS. Damn, I miss it. :)

9217Full_tank_shot.jpg

Yeah, the tank was amazingly stable but I did my research, let me tell you. I had it empty for a whole year while I learned everything I could about reef-keeping. Those leathers started out as one rather small guy that multiplied into what you see there.

That was a great tank. :)

Periette, I also have a biocube 14 and am following your lead with modifications.

I ordered the Saphire NC12, HydroFlo and maxi-jet 1200.

I have a few questions regarding installation of above items.

1. maxi-jet 1200 does'nt fit in original space of stock pump. What did you do to make it fit?

2. Saphire NC12, can you explain issue with bottom shelf in second chamber?

I'm not sure how skimmer is secured. Top cuts look self explanitory.

3. Does HydroFlo fit on ball connector of stock discharge?

Looks like you have it against back wall. What mods do I need to make?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Periette, I also have a biocube 14 and am following your lead with modifications.

I ordered the Saphire NC12, HydroFlo and maxi-jet 1200.

I have a few questions regarding installation of above items.

1. maxi-jet 1200 does'nt fit in original space of stock pump. What did you do to make it fit?

2. Saphire NC12, can you explain issue with bottom shelf in second chamber?

I'm not sure how skimmer is secured. Top cuts look self explanitory.

3. Does HydroFlo fit on ball connector of stock discharge?

Looks like you have it against back wall. What mods do I need to make?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi, Mark. Here`s what I have found regarding your questions.

I cut the intake on the MaxiJet 1200 with a Dremel to about .5`` long and it fits at an angle inside the 3rd chamber attached to the original plastic piping, etc. I also removed the sponge to avoid holding bacteria.

As for the skimmer/shelf, I removed both the rigid and floating one (it wouldn`t properly support the skimmer`s weight). So, I cut the rigid one to fit the same and it works fine now. As for the upper cuts, they are to allow the skimmer to fit in the first place but I think you already know this.

There are 4 connectors that come w/the Hydor Flo and one does fit well; however, I wrapped it with plumber`s tape because it would pop off from the MJ12 pressure. Also, I placed my rocks so the flow is somewhat blocked and dispersed. Make sense?

Now, due to my travel schedule, I wanted to almost fully automate my tank. I discovered that the skimmer does not work well, if you use anything like an Aquacontroller Jr. with auto-feed. What actually happens is that it fills up with water and then overflows - but - for those who don`t use anything to automatically control the tank, it would be fine because you can antipate turning the pumps off, then resetting the skimmer. Kyle did say that it`d be necessary to empty the cup prior to turning off the pumps to avoid reintroducing the skim mate.

Having said all that, I`ve decided to upgrade to a Cadlights 25g and put a pre-order in for January. The reason I did this is that I want a refugium (hang on) and a skimmer. To do this on the 14g BC, I`d have to cut off the back of the hood, etc. With the 25g, I`ll have MH, refugium, and, of course, more space. Leaving the hood intact also allows me to sell the 14g eventually.

Hi, Mark. Here`s what I have found regarding your questions.

I cut the intake on the MaxiJet 1200 with a Dremel to about .5`` long and it fits at an angle inside the 3rd chamber attached to the original plastic piping, etc. I also removed the sponge to avoid holding bacteria.

As for the skimmer/shelf, I removed both the rigid and floating one (it wouldn`t properly support the skimmer`s weight). So, I cut the rigid one to fit the same and it works fine now. As for the upper cuts, they are to allow the skimmer to fit in the first place but I think you already know this.

There are 4 connectors that come w/the Hydor Flo and one does fit well; however, I wrapped it with plumber`s tape because it would pop off from the MJ12 pressure. Also, I placed my rocks so the flow is somewhat blocked and dispersed. Make sense?

Now, due to my travel schedule, I wanted to almost fully automate my tank. I discovered that the skimmer does not work well, if you use anything like an Aquacontroller Jr. with auto-feed. What actually happens is that it fills up with water and then overflows - but - for those who don`t use anything to automatically control the tank, it would be fine because you can antipate turning the pumps off, then resetting the skimmer. Kyle did say that it`d be necessary to empty the cup prior to turning off the pumps to avoid reintroducing the skim mate.

Having said all that, I`ve decided to upgrade to a Cadlights 25g and put a pre-order in for January. The reason I did this is that I want a refugium (hang on) and a skimmer. To do this on the 14g BC, I`d have to cut off the back of the hood, etc. With the 25g, I`ll have MH, refugium, and, of course, more space. Leaving the hood intact also allows me to sell the 14g eventually.

Periette

Can you clarify a counple of things?

With the MaxiJet 1200, I figured the same about cutting intake.(Will do).

Are you using the suction cups to hold in place? Why is it still @ an angle?

Do you think I can cut the sponge holder out if I'm not using it?

With the HydroFlo, I'm assuming the only mod you did to

outlet was the plumbers tape?

Also, Do you recommend stainless clamps on all pump connectors?

I'm concerned about them poping off.

Thanks Again

I'm brand new @ this and can use all the help I can.

Good lick with the new tank

I love everyones tanks!

I'm new to nano tanks but not to reefing. I have a 70g reef.

I have been looking at the different nano style tanks and seem to like the 14g biocube the best. I enjoy reading through these threads about the mods before I decide on buying anything.

Has anyone done the MH mod on their 14g? I really would like to have MH instead of just the PCs.

Periette

Can you clarify a counple of things?

With the MaxiJet 1200, I figured the same about cutting intake.(Will do).

Are you using the suction cups to hold in place? Why is it still @ an angle?

Do you think I can cut the sponge holder out if I'm not using it?

With the HydroFlo, I'm assuming the only mod you did to

outlet was the plumbers tape?

Also, Do you recommend stainless clamps on all pump connectors?

I'm concerned about them poping off.

Thanks Again

I'm brand new @ this and can use all the help I can.

Good lick with the new tank

Hi, Mark. No, I don`t use the suction cups to hold the pump. It just kind of sits in the space provided and still needs to sit at an angle (even with the cut). You can cut out the sponge holder but the only problem might be the really tight space to use a tool to get it out. If you can think of something...you`re more agile than me!

The only mod for the Hydor Flo was the plumber`s tape and I do use stainless clamps for the pump connectors (with screws to tighten) and have no problems with them coming off at all.

Any other questions, just ask! No worries at all and I`m happy to help. :)

i like the tank, and your cat. is your cat a birman?

Thanks! Yes, I have two birmans - brother and sister named Rémy & GiGi. Good eye to spot that breed since it`s not common!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's an update! Tank's doing well though I had a HUGE algae breakout when I returned from a 2-week vacation! Glass was thickly covered and there was hair algae galore. It was obvious my poor cat sitter overfed the tank so I will be writing more detailed instructions for the next go-round. Duh.

So, at midnight, I pulled the filter floss and Purigen bag (rinsed it for possible later use though it's quite dirty looking) and then replaced the Purigen with a bag of ChemiPure and Seagel, then more filter floss.

Yesterday, I did a 40% water change and it's taken about 2 days to really clean up well. Things are looking almost back to normal now except for the green of the algae (ha) and the clean up crew is quietly working on the rock. I scraped the crap out of the glass and it's almost 100% clean again. Coraline is starting to show up on the glass, as well, so I'm happy to see that. My radioactive dragon eye zoas and my finger leather were both ###ed off so I moved the DE zoas up onto the rock. Some of them look as though they might not make it but the bigger ones are opened back up. My leather is probably mad because the Hydor Flo got stuck and wasn't twirling. The polyps are extending a bit like bumps so I think it will recover. The media will definitely help in case it puts off any PO'd toxins.

Today, I moved some of my zoas around to make room for some new arrivals tomorrow. I got some sweet deals and am adding to my collection of eye candy (love, love, love my zoas and palys). Also, saw 2 aptasia babies on a few of my frags. I splashed some Joe's Juice on one but was not pleased as it came out too strong right around my Armor of Gods, which are doing fabulously. I'll be mighty ###ed, if I hurt them. Anyway, I'll be tracking down a syringe soon or maybe I'll pick up one of the $3 peppermint shrimp my local guy has just for the fun of it. Not my favorites but I like aptasia even less. The AOGs are opening back up so that's good news. :)

Here are some shots from tonight:

FTS

FTS010907.jpg

Top Down

Topdown.jpg

Orange bam bams (one of my faves)

Orangebambams.jpg

Not sure - tracking it down

Notsure.jpg

Horizons

Horizons.jpg

GPEs

GPEs.jpg

Blastos (Rosebud - coming back from shaky ground; PPE Merletti - doing great)

Blastos.jpg

• 1 month later...

very nice setup one of the best i have seen. One question though does the rocks have to block the hydor flo in order for it not to kick sand around or will it be fine without rocks blocking off the pressure. I dont htink i will stack the rocks as high as you did and i will be using a MJ900 vs the 1200..what do you think will happen? I would like to add the hydor flow but not sure if it will blow my sand everywhere

IMO, you do need to block the Hydor Flo somewhat to keep control of the sand; however, you can extend the line with some locline and then attach the HF to that. It will give you some control over where you point it as opposed to how it is normally (default install).

Here's a recent pic - things have changed. :) Oh, just waiting on my Cadlights 25g stand to upgrade my tank.

FTS.jpg

Archived