Cultivated Reef

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp in 2g Cube

travisurfer

Would a 2 gal cube be enough for a skunk cleaner without him bothering the corals too much? I dont plan on having much available rock space since they will be covered in corals ;) TIA.

DementedLullaby

If you can create some overhangs/caves it might be okay. Mine tramples corals a lot though so I don't know. They don't seem any worse for the wear but in a 2g it might become an issue.

What specific corals are you planning? Zoanthids/polyp corals get it the worst IME

I am planning on rics, mushrooms, zoanthids, and pulsing xenia. The biggest problem is that there won't be too much room for him to walk without hitting any corals except for one "statue" in the back, the back side of the rock which has about as much space as the front of the rock, and the sandbed. I would like to get a cleaner but I dont want it to stress the corals out too much. Here is an old pic to show the scape.

11-3fts-1.jpg

In my opinion your tank is too small for a Skunk Cleaner shrimp. Although they mainly hang underneith rock or coral they do need room to move around especially when feeding. They also get quite large when full grown. A few Sexy shrimp as suggested above should do well in this size tank.

DementedLullaby

If you could relocate it to another tank and get a really small one I don't really see a problem. I'd stay away from the sexies with some of the corals you're planning.

Good luck, I like the look of the tank. The statue makes it look a little "natural". I saw a really cool tank with bottles over on RC. The dude has star polyps growing on it.

the statue look killer.my cleaner doesnt bother any of the corals in my tank and he hardly moves from his cave when he does he only goes about 3 inches away from it.id say go for it u can always take it back if it doesnt work out.my .02

lol fewskillz, let me refrase that:

I dont have any tanks that I would want to relocate it too. ;) x 2

seriously, i have yet to decide on inhabitant. it is narrowed down to boxer crab, or anemone shrimps, or perderson's shrimp.

Would a 2 gal cube be enough for a skunk cleaner without him bothering the corals too much? I dont plan on having much available rock space since they will be covered in corals ;) TIA.

My old cleaner used to bug my zoanthids a lot and they would close up....i would think you should get a more low key shrimp like a blood shrimp or even as peppermint shrimp... change in mind...get a sexy shrimp, those are badass

Perderson's shrimp are small cleaner shrimp. Never had them, but they look cool and are inexpensive compared to skunks

http://www.etropicals.com/product/prod_Dis...amp;pCatId=1283

the pederson's shrimp are phat!!! sexies are bad too! im gettin sexies...

sorry the skunk isnt working out......

sell/trade him! send him to me along with that maxi jet :lol:

i know your not gonna feed him to your mantis...

see if fewskills will drop off some cash.....

even if you only get half of what you spent, thats better than him dying...

and i know your parents wont let you get another tank....

lol, my tank is a bit smaller than yours though and its setup a bit differently. pep's nip corals dont they? i would really like to get a cleaner. ;)

Archived