SaltCritters.com

My 1/2 Gal Pico

SpencerShepard

SpencerShepard

I wanted to make this tank as simple as possible, so I used readily available components. Marina 1.84L Betta Tank, Elite Mini powerfilter, and Coralife 10W 50/50 bulb. I really, really like this tank so far... :D

pico008.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good! What all do you have in there so far(coral wise)?

Also, how much did the desk lamp cost, and where did you buy it?

Is the Elite PH too much flow?

texx

SpencerShepard

thanks! i have some pulse xenia, a striped mushroom, and a blue-leg hermit so far. i bought the desk lamp for 10 bucks at office depot. total cost of tank plus equipment is about $50 canadian. $20 for the bulb, $13 for the filter, and $6 for the tank.

the elite is okay with the adjustment on low, but i would prefer a bit less flow. i'm thinking about shaving the impeller down.

Ok cool. I was thinking about doing a small frag tank and I was thinking about getting the elite PH. My tank is going to be about 3-4 gallons though.

What else do you plan on adding?

texx

I just found this site and this thread. I posted one as well as I am extremely interested in knowing what others are doing so I can take something from them. I will check this thread often.

Please check my thread as well and offer feedback if you could, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

SpencerShepard
Ok cool. I was thinking about doing a small frag tank and I was thinking about getting the elite PH. My tank is going to be about 3-4 gallons though.

What else do you plan on adding?

texx

yeah the elite should be good for 3-4 gallons i'd think. i've just added a green hairy mushroom, and some more zoos. i plan on adding more shrooms, polyps, and a sexy shrimp or two. i'll have to see how that goes as far as nitrates and go from there.

alright well my camera is terrible and shows no color, but here it is a bit closer.

pico010.jpg

Where did you get your bulb? I checked hellolights.com and couldn't find a 10w 50/50 that would fit in a normal, desk-top lamp.

Since my tank will be at work, I think that a nice desk lamp fixture will look very nice.

Anyway, please give me a model number or something so that I can track one down.

Thanks

SpencerShepard

thanks guys! but what's so special about my xenia?

i just added 2 sexy shrimp. which brings tank inhabitants to:

-1 blue leg hermit

-1 nassarius snail

-2 sexy shrimp

-pulse xenia

-2 var. zoos

-green hairy mushroom

-striped shroom

-green star polyps

just did a small water change and it was past lights-out when i took this pic, everything is still doing well.

pico025.jpg

i tried applying a 'vivid color' effect on my camera in an attempt to get truer colors. it didn't work. my cam sucks and i need photoshop.

nitrates before my w/c looked about 5ppm. i wouldn't mind doing daily changes if i could really push the bioload. i'll have to see...this tank is very experimental.

I really like the shrimp! Cool zoo's too.

Post a pic when everything opens.

texx

Wow....new member here, as you can see. Looked a ton of pics already, and wow, I love your 1/2 gallon.

I was thinking of doing a 1 gallon, maybe 2 with dark black sand like yours...wow, beautiful!

How much did it all cost?

SpencerShepard

thanks everyone for the comments.

i just modded my filter for less flow. it wasn't easy, and i didn't get the results i wanted. i'll have to buy an impeller that i can shave down and experiment with before i put it into the pico. hopefully i'll be able to lose that bulky filter output.

also just added a frogspawn frag. it wasn't the best looking frag to begin with, so i'll have to see how it does. everything is still looking healthy and i'm eager to post a pic when everything opens.

Archived