inTank Media Baskets

my nano nursery...

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
Me again, sorry: how do you keep temperature 80F in the water bottles? Room temperature can't be so high.

i use the aid of a 27w phillips daylight spiral.

i turned the light of for the pic's so you could see everything. :)

IMG_1518.jpg

at nite i just drop a piece of plywood between the light and my tank to allow the fish to sleep, but also leaving the heat on sorta speak. :)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

banggai update.

well were pushing 3 weeks old. all 8 have survived thus far. happy, healthy and growing in leaps and bounds.

they seem to double in size each week. here they are again.

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

each are approx. the size of a penny.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well the little devils are growing fast. so fast they out grew thier diy urchin in just a few weeks.

IMG_1615.jpg

i still have all eight. they all seem very strong. i added a red sea nano filter to the 2.5, and they seem quite content in the slow current it creates. today i desided to upgrade the urchin.

the new ones a few zip ties and an end cap.

IMG_1616.jpg

the transition was very smooth. as soon as i removed the first artificial urchin, they quickly relocated to the new one.

here they are living it large :)

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

I really like the idea of your diy brine factory. I have really been researching and there seems to be a consensus that the water from the hatchery can contain undesirable bacteria and hydroids. Have you noticed an increase in either?(bacteria, I'm guessing not) I may go this route. What is your opinion? Your fry, btw, look great and I like the new urchin!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i'd planned on purchasing those myself, however the lfs was all out.

because i'm hatching new baby shrimp every day, i'm cleaning out the bottles alot.(to get rid of the egg shells) the brine take 2 weeks to reach adult hood. during this 2 week i image the water in a pop bottle would get rather skunky.

mine on the other hand are only in the bottle for 24 hours. i havent noticed any problems, but the hatchery is hooked up to a 77.5 g macro infested system.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you update pics of the urchinwh@res?

I will probably skip the HatchNFeeder. Someone on here said the brine didn't really swim out of it own their on very well. I think I will just stick with your design. :)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

when the fish were given to me, i was told to expect 1/2 of them to die.

i'm pleased to report all 8 are still kicking it. :)

having fed these guys 3 times everyday for the last couple/ few months, they are becoming quite friendly.

:) not so much urchin whores, but they do still retreat to the urchin if they are startled.

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i've tried cyclopeeze, but they just turn up thier nose.

i was told/read, brine is quite nutritious for 8 hours after they hatch. (most nutritious right after they hatch. )this is the amount of time it takes for them to eat thier own egg sack. once its gone, they quickly start using up thier nutritious valve.

i hatch new brine everyday with out fail. it might have something to do with it. the fish always look full, are very energetic, and all 8 are still alive. :) there growing and at a rate i notice, so there must be some nutritional value.

that being said it is connect to my 75g system which is crawling with live foods.

Archived