Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Brand New 30G Finnex Cube

Cshradr7

reeefermadness

looks great! i havent checked up on this for a while...

my only sugestion would be to get some bigger rocks, they look kinda small...

did you get to see the 12 frags? or was it their choice?

be careful with the galaxea, they have long sweeper tentacles, make sure to place it far away from anything else!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah the rocks are small but i think with the corals in there they wont be as noticable.

the 12 frags are their choice, but i requested a pink birds nest and they said that they could probably get one in there. also asked for some different options of frags that clown will sometime host.

as for the galaxea, i think i may put it in my 2.5 gallon alone for right now. otherwise i may just give it one of the corners in my display and keep everything else 6 inches away

I hope you post some pics when you get your frags. Where did you end up getting them from?

Be a good weekend for "tank" work here. Get that snowblower ready! :D:D:D

Did you ever get that pistol shrimp you mentioned earlier?

Might set up my old ten gallon with just goby/shrimp!

Tank looks good!

I ended up buying the frags from Pacific East Aquaculture. They had some really good deals that i just couldn't pass up and the they ensure that none of their corals come from dead or dying colonies which is nice to know. also they had a couple of WYSIWYG corals that i liked. I will definatly take close up shots of each frag when they come in.

I drive a lower Subaru STi so if we get as much snow as some are saying i won't be going anywhere haha.

I did get a really neat pistol shrimp from Something Fishy about a week ago. I got the Randalls goby and Clowns from Ocean Devotion. I hardly ever see the pistol and it has yet to pair up with the goby. I think that my Peppermints may be scaring the pistol so i've been trying all week to get those out...they are faster and smarter than i thought.

05 4wd F150 here, so no worries. :P No show with the pistol ehh! Noticed any burrows anywhere? I was going to put them in Finnex tank but I have SouthDown sand in there and I'm afraid it would stir up the sand too much.

Look forward to seeing your "software" pics!

• 2 months later...

alright so time for a well overdue update.

the corals are in the tank and everything is healthy. i ended up losing two of the corals for some reason, a torch and one other SPS. One of the other corals began bleaching but i determined the problem was flow. i added 2 koralia 2 pumps to the tank yesterday and everything seems to be liking the extra movement. now i have 1675gph turnover equating to approximatly just more than 55x per hour. here is a picture of the tank i took today. sorry for the dirty glass...

tank4-21-3007069.jpg

the two pumps along with the warmer weather are really causing the temperature to rise though. i've had my light sitting right down on top of the tank, but had to put it back on the stands today because the temp was up to around 86F. i have a fan blowing across the surface now and have lowered the temp to about normal. here is a little wider view to see that:

tank4-21-3007075.jpg

Because of the heat problems coming this early in the summer, i am going to order a chiller tomorrow. i'm going to get the JBJ antartica mini chiller which is rated to cool 40 gallons. i believe taht i need another mj1200 to use with this so i'll be ordering that. i'm going to replace my quarentine tank in the base of my stand with the chiller. it should fit will with quite a bit of room around it. i may install a vent in the back of the stand. in the following picture, the chiller will sit on the left. on the right is my top off water that is pumped up to the tank with the JBJ ATO and MJ1200. just earlier this week i decided to start using kalk water for 100% of my top off water...this explains the white tint.

tank4-21-3007074.jpg

I have also been experimenting with several different foods. currently i am mixing all of them to provide a fairly even diet. also i have been feeding about a half of frozen mysis shrimp cube a couple times a week. i turn off all pumps when feeding for about a half hour.

tank4-21-3007073.jpg

and finally, this is one of my favorite pictures that i have taken so i decided to post it. these are the WYSIWYG zoas that i got from pacific east aqua culture

tank4-21-3007066.jpg

Plans: in terms of what i have planned for the future, beyond the quite expensive chiller, i hope to add more corals within the next month. i think that i'm going to get the 20 frags for 200 from reefermadness along with a couple of fish from them. in terms of frags, i'm going to get the mixture of SPS, LPS, and ricordias. I really like how the tank in this thread looks with so many ricordias and bright colors and hope to make it look something like it: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...hreadid=1009275. in terms of fish, i want to get a purple firefish and maybe one other. that should do it for a while...let me know what you think of it, suggestions, concerns, or anything else. thanks

Well i got my chiller today from Premium Aquatics. I ended up going with the Pacific Coast Imports CL-280 which is 1/10HP and can handle a tank up to over 160 gallons. It took quite a while for me to hook it up, partly because i had to find a place for the Quietone 3000 that i got with it in the back part of the tank. i could have run it dry, but i wanted it to be in the tank if possible. The quietone's input and output size was different from the chiller so i had to figure all that out at lowes earlier. Once i finally got it all hooked up and running, i found something to change. i did this several times. Finally about a half hour ago i came down and started reading and working on my laptop and heard some loud loud pops coming from my room...where my tank is. Apperantly one of my extension cords lit on fire, i think it was getting water droplets on it from the skimmer. The extension cord was plugged into my AmericanDJ powercenter which ended up tripping the 15amp built in breaker and shut everything down. Connected to the extension cord was one of my Koralia 2 pumps and a powerstrip which had my heater, brand new chiller, and brand new pump connected. Luckily i think that the only losses are the extension cord and what was immediatly connected to it. The Koralia plug was melted and the powerstrips plug was melted. the chiller and quietone pump seem to be fine along with the rest of my stuff. i think the breaker saved everything. Wow what a day! my newly painted wall has a fairly large burn mark on it, but only on the very surface. the area is just pitch black, about a foot long and 6 inches high...i think i can just repaint. :-(

Alright some pictures to update....

Here is the chiller i got...Pacific Coast CL-280. Seems to be working well so far. Tank is holding at 79-80F. The chiller also controls the heater.

tank4-27-2007014.jpg

Here is where i put the pump for the chiller. Its the Quietone 3000 pump. This pump is a really tight squeeze to get into the back chamber. I ended up cracking some of the black trim around the top of the tank while trying to get it in there. Without the trim, the pump would fit just about perfectly in terms of width. The skimmer intake sits directly next to the output of the pump which has 1 inch soft tubing coming out of it. the skimmer rests on the top of the Quietone pump, about a 1/4 inch higher than it would sit without the pump there.

tank4-27-2007013.jpg

This is where all the tubes and cords come out of the tank...ya thats a lot of stuff for that small opening. the two clear soft tubes on the right are for the chiller, the clear one on the left is for the ATO. Cords coming out include: heater, skimmer pump, thermometer sensor cord, main return pump, Quietone 3000 pump, ATO sensor, and the air inlet for the skimmer.

tank4-27-2007012.jpg

I think what was leaking last night was the air inlet for the skimmer which has the silencer on it. When i removed the skimmer yesterday, some of the water drained out of this inlet tube and some must have gotten stuck in with the foam in the silencer. Here is the picture of the damaged caused. The stand is normally pushed against the wall behind it.

tank4-27-2007011.jpg

Here is what the extension cord looks like now. the plug is melted in there. the other plug is for my koralia pump that was plugged in, this was also melted in there but i pulled it out...the one prong is broken off and the entire cord is slightly melted. I initially put the cord there because my finnex heater's plug is too large to go through the hole into the back of the stand. I then started using this for the extra stuff i have added because it was easy to access. I now have a new powerstrip there that i'm going to put inside of the stand and plug everything in inside so no water can drip. the heater is now on an extension cord leading to the chiller, but is well out of the way of any water.

tank4-27-2007016.jpg

I'm very thankful that nothing else was harmed by the small fire. Luckily the sheetrock didn't burn accept for the the surface. the stand didn't start on fire either thank god. This could have very easily burned a lot more stuff, including the entire house.

Whoa, glad nothing was damaged from what it sounds like. Perfect reason why to get a GFCI if you aren't already running one. My main timer strip is hooked to a portable GFCI wall unit. I've never had a back siphon with my skimmer though, so that's odd what happened to you.

With your Pacific Coast chiller, what's the temp it turns on at and what temp does it shut down once reached. Also how long does it take for the chiller to cool to the shutoff temp once it turns on? Just curious, I'm running a JBJ Arctica Nano 1/20th chiller on my Finnex 30g glass tank. The heater kicks on at 81.4F and shuts off at 80.5F (like clockwork every single time according to my Tom's digital thermometor). it usually takes between 5 and 8 minutes for the chiller to knock the temp down by that 1 dgree or so depending on the ambient temp of course. I've recently started running an 80x80mm fan over the pump chamber to keep the chiller from kickin on too many times a day (usually goes 20-30 minutes between shut-off to turn-on time when the water heats back up). The fan easily cools the water to 79F and lower, and cools the same amount as the chiller does in about half the time it seems.

either the high heat in my tank last week, the new chiller, or something caused all of my corals to die. i removed them from my tank and put them in the quarentine just in case its something with the water. tested and found nothing but normal. my fish seem unaffected. had some cerith snails die. all this came about 3-4 days after my heat was up around 85-86. idk but i'm rather frustrated.

Archived