ReefCleaners.org

Brand New 30G Finnex Cube

Cshradr7

I took the plunge yesterday and decided to start my first saltwater tank. I ordered the Finnex 30G cube that came out on monday. I'm new to saltwater so i'm sure that i'm going to have many questions. I wont get the tank until next monday or tuesday i'm guessing. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just ordered one as well, with the T5 alone, Im excited to watch you set your up, I am sure I'll be taking some of the ideas. Are you the same person who started the thread on RC? If so, I am glad to hear that theres some students back in MN who are into this, I live in St. Paul but go to school in WA. Hope yours get in soon

I did start the post on RC also and i'm going to be keeping both going and see if i can get feedback on both. I ordered the same thing as you did with the T5's. I ordered it last wednesday so i am expecting it any time now. i'm supposed to get an email from jay at premium aquatics tomorrow with shipping status. Is that where you ordered yours from also? What are you going to do in terms of live rock? I can get it from PA and only get ground shipping here in MN and it will either arive next day like all of my sand did or two day which is nice and saves a ton. I cant decide whether to get the nano rock or the marshall island. Nano is much cheaper but only comes in small pieces. Do you or anybody else have any suggestions?

Thanks

Colin

I am doing a tank transfer so I already have all my LR. I did pick up a couple extra pieces from my schools biology department just to use as baserock--it was just some old left overs from one of their tanks. All of my pieces were between 4 and 7 inches, I got thirty pounds and it filled up my NC24 quite nicely. You can fit it together well and it looks more natural to have lots of little pieces in a smaller tank than a few big hunks IMO. But you can always use a hammer on the bigger ones... I got cube from PA as well, but I havent gotten the shipping information yet.

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=348

FooooooKk! I ordered one from PA last week and I dont think its the Fuge Version. Is there any way to know for sure? The PA website doesnt have any info listed.

I think i am gonna cancel my order with PA and go with NT, since I know for sure what I am going to be getting.

Yikes!

You should order one from NT. They are this site supporter and Chris is really awsome when it comes to support you after you bought the tank.

Did you order the stand?

You should order one from NT. They are this site supporter and Chris is really awsome when it comes to support you after you bought the tank.
http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=348

FooooooKk! I ordered one from PA last week and I dont think its the Fuge Version. Is there any way to know for sure? The PA website doesnt have any info listed.

I think i am gonna cancel my order with PA and go with NT, since I know for sure what I am going to be getting.

Yikes!

The one from PA has the fuge, that is the only version that is available now. The first guy to get one was on manhattanreed.com, he got it from PA and it had the fuge. I also think I read a post by someone at PA that listed the specs, and it included a fuge... I am almost positive but if you look around a little on RC you should find the thread.

finnex20006.bmp

thats a sweet tank. good purchase guys! i cant wait to see your tanks set up!

I will be ordering one of these Finnex 30G tanks as well! My only problem with the tank is how you would be able to run some carbon ie. Chemi-pure? From what I can see there is no place to run any media! I guess something could be modified..... Any ideas?

Cheers!

finnex20006.bmp

I will be ordering one of these Finnex 30G tanks as well! My only problem with the tank is how you would be able to run some carbon ie. Chemi-pure? From what I can see there is no place to run any media! I guess something could be modified..... Any ideas?

Cheers!

I dont know if it wold be the best spot...but theres some space under the fuge. You can see it there in the picture, which I stole from the manhattan reef thread, btw. Also, I emailed PA and they assured me that they sell the refugium model. However, they did say that the factory might be backordered because so many people ordered the tank at once.

post-20675-1162327911_thumb.jpg

I plan on upgrading the pump and the number of returns to the display area of this tank, maybe even adding a Switching Current Water Direct module to randomize the flow. I don't think the area under the fuge would be any good for media as it looks as though it could just be a dead area in respect to flow....... Does anyone else think that the one single return to the main tank falls a little short of optimal flow?

Just got shipping information on my tank now. I talked to Jay at PA and he said that finnex is a bit slow on getting them out of the factory right now because of their high demand. He got my order changed to priority so it would ship today. These people at PA are the best!

This tank looks sweet. It has me dreaming about putting a mandarin in it if the pod population could be stustained through the fuge after the tank is matured a year or so. I'm seriously debating between this tank and the Cadlights 22g 144W. I think it might be more cost effective in the long term to get the finnex tank because the fuge and skimmer are already part of the package (and its more gallons...which is cool because i'll probably stuff it with as many fish as i responsibly can)

Tank is set to be delivered tomorrow already. I built a stand earlier today out of 2x4s. After i get the tank on the stand i will wrap it in finished plywood and some trim and make it look nice. I'm hoping that i'm here tomorrow when the tank is delivered so i can check it right away for damage since it is UPS.....I'll post some pictures tomorrow of everything and i'll be ordering my live rock from PA. I decided to get 30lbs of Marshall Island Nano Rock for the main tank and 10lbs of rubble for the fuge. I think i might order a Maxijet 1200 to use for topoffs. My plan is to fit a rubbermaid tub in the base of the stand under the tank and use it to hold extra RO water. I dont have an RO system but am highly considering getting one...maybe christmas??

According to the UPS web site, the tank is out for delivery so i'm expecting it'll come a little later this afternoon. I'll post some pics when i get it

Well i got it and its in good shape except for the skimmer cup which has a minor crack in it. i've been putting it together all afternoon now and have it full of fresh water so i can check for any leaks. here are some pics of the tank. i plan on ordering live rock from PA tomorrow so they'll ship it on monday. I'll fill it with with RO water and salt on probably monday and add the sand. i'm going to get the biggest rubbermaid container i can find that'll fit in the bottom of my stand to use for storing RO water since i dont have one to do it myself. along with the live rock i'm gonna order a maxijet 1200 to use for moving that water and topoffs.

Newtankwithlightson.png

Newtankback.png

one last thing, how do i make it send me an email when someone posts in this thread? on RC i get an email right away but here i'm subscribed to the tread and everything but i never get emails.

Thanks a lot

Colin

Well i spent all day yesterday working on the stand and i'm just about done. all i have left to do is run over the trim and doors with a router and then stain and varnish it. i ordered live rock this morning from PA. I go 30lbs of marshall island nano rock and 10lbs of rock rubble for the refugium. i expect the rock to arrive either wednesday or thurday afternoon. I'm gonna go to get RO water either tonight or tomorrow and mix the salt. I'm thinking of getting a big trashcan to mix it all in and then pump it from the trash can into the tank when i'm ready.

Here are some updated pics. the first one is my stand at its current state. i finished cutting trim and staining it tonight so i hope to put it on tomorrow and then varnish everything. the second picture is the rock that i got from PA on wednesday. on the right is the marshall island nano rock and on the right is the rock rubble. the two white rocks were given to me by my aunt who brought them back from hawaii for me so i have t include them in the tank. they'll cover over in coralline before too long i think and look alright.

Finnextankpictures001.jpg

Finnextankpictures002.jpg

stand look good so far. did you have to ripe the 2x4 to square it out? if not were did youget your wood. i got my at lowes and i need to ripe it because notthing was straight or level

I got mine at home depot and i hand picked strait ones. my stand wasnt level the first try so i took parts out and reworked it so it was level. well it was level but now it seems like it doesnt sit level at all now since i put on trim and plywood. i'm a little disappointed, but i'll see how it is once i get it inside. i just finished putting on the second coat of varnish earlier so i plan on putting the tank on it tomorrow. all i have left is to put on door handels, put on magnets to keep doors closed, and to put in the electronics.

Archived