Cultivated Reef

Peppermint for Aiptasia

Nht

Hey all. My 29 Biocube is being infested with these little devils. A month ago, I tried using Joes Juice and was ecstatic when they were gone. Then they came back and since then Ive hit and hit them every 3 days but they still rise from the dead time and time again!!!

I wanted to add a peppermint in there to get rid of them but was just worried that they might not be "completely" reef safe. Does anyone have any horror stories of them eating or nipping at corals? They arent the most attractive looking creatures out there but I guess if they do the job then I would consider adding one if they arent going to eat my corals. Thanks.

I wanted to add a peppermint in there to get rid of them but was just worried that they might not be "completely" reef safe.

peps are fine - go for it

I Love my pep. I have him in a 10gal and had 3 tiny glass anemones and they were gone in about 1 hour.

I have not had him pick on any coral. I don't have that much in my tank but I do have zoa's, candycane, gorgonia, polyps, and a cup coral.

I got one pep shrimp for my Aiptasia problems, but he didn't eat it. Do they need to be placed in groups, or will they not eat them if you have an established tank?

They do not need to be kept in groups IMO. I have only one and he was captive bread. I have heard that there is a much better chance that they will eat aiptasia if they are wild caught.

I got one pep shrimp for my Aiptasia problems, but he didn't eat it. Do they need to be placed in groups, or will they not eat them if you have an established tank?

It took mine a couple days to start eating the stuff. I hope your LFS didn't dupe you into buying a camel shrimp. Some LFS shops have been know to mislabel camels as peppermints.

they look very similar. whats the qualifying difference?

Camel shrimp have a more defined hump on their backs and are not as translucent. Camel shrimp like to eat just about any polyp coral.

Camel Shrimp:

camel_shrimp.jpg

Peppermint Shrimp:

JKC-PeppermintShrimp-MichelleWisniewski.jpg

Yes, i know it was a pep shrimp. Like OIIIIIO said, there is a difference. Plus, i put a thread on here asking for positive identification, and everyone said it was a pep shrimp. BTW, he died a few days ago for unknown reasons (maybe iodine).

hm...i had a peppermint shrimp in my 12 gal once...it killed and ate a skunk cleaner larger than itself...i added another skunk the next day thinking my first died during molting :) same thing happened :)

but i do have 2 peps in my 2.5 gal which i used to remove aiptasia...moved them over to my new 3 gal to get them working in there too :)

it probably varies from each individual. I had a HUGE anemone problem, the things were everywhere. I put in the shrimp and a week later to my amazement, I couldn't find a SINGLE one. It was astonishing.

hmmm...mine didn't seem to eat aiptasia. Of course, I haven't seen any lately, so mabye it did. but then again, i don't see my pep around anymore either. :(

thanks for the pics oiiio. yeah, there is a difference, but still i wonder if when you're at the lfs you can tell the difference if there is nothing to compare with. :P

and i need some peppermint~ can't wait till my snails rot away and everything is fine again.

Ok I will try 1 this weekend. However, Ive heard that they from time to time pick at zoos and I love zoos. Is this true or just a myth? Will they be compatible with a Red Fire Shrimp?

the best way to know if your pep is gonna eat is ask the lfs to feed it first, that was my mistake in the past. bought it from lfs disappeared in 2 days. bought 2 from a reef member and they eat like crazy

So far my 2 peppermints have been useless. Well less than useless actually one started ripping my frogspawn to shreds and both of them attack my zoas. I coulden't manage to catch the little buggers so I fed them some shrimp in the hopes that will keep them at bay while I construct a death trap. And no they are not camel shrimp if you want proof I will post a picture of their little mulitated corpses.

Ok I will try 1 this weekend. However, Ive heard that they from time to time pick at zoos and I love zoos. Is this true or just a myth? Will they be compatible with a Red Fire Shrimp?

I too have heard this before. But I can't have any anyways because my orchid dottyback could potentially eat a pep.

Archived