Pod Your Reef

Picture of the Fish Bowl Moon Lights Installed!

Web Guy

I installed the Fish Bowl set up with the Lunar Module Controller as well. Going to run it with the cycle for a few months and see what I think. I know my fish have been having to adjust, but there dealing with it better now. The lights stay on 24hrs a day. They will go thru different light levels during the month to reproduce the moon cycle.

My stock LED set up was weak and one went out within a month anyways.

http://www.fishbowl-innovations.com/index....531c9914c6e7d53

79.jpg

controller_front_1.jpg

product1.jpg

animation_moon.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My camera made it brighter than it is. But it is bright on high intensity. But that only last a few days as the cycle changes. It's suppose to help with the growth of coral and more.

Will see!!! I am testing it the way it is set up to run. Automatic Mode on 24hrs a day. I think a few of my corals had to adjust today as well. But the Brain and a few others were HUGE.

If I feel it is not working out in the long run, it always has the full control that you can just use your self. You can adjust it to exactly how you want it.

artarmon42

I think moonlight is supposed to fool inhabitants into spawning... Only way to tell is to have things that will spawn (e.g. 2 of the same type of shrimps).

I think there is more than that to it. Let me see what I can find out. I know most corals are in shallow waters. The moon light penetrates the water down to the bottom easy in those areas.

shao-lin nano

Do you have a picture of where under the hood you mounted these moon lights? I really like the set you have but the portion of the hood under my splash guard has very little room left.

Is it water tight? If so, do you think it's possible to mount it under the front flap?

I agree, I have spoke to others that mounted them there. They just added some silicone where the caps are. I mounted mine between the two stock bulbs under the hood. So there right between the two stock LEDS, which one went out after only 1 month.

This is very small and will fit almost anywhere. And then you can turn it to point the light at the area you would like it to. It has a WIDE spread and fills up the whole tank easy.

bowfront26

can u post a pic of how it is installed? i should get mine in a couple of days now, for my 40g. maybe ill get one for my NC

shao-lin nano

Is that a 2.4 degree difference in temp between the coralife and radio shack digital thermometers?

No .1 ! But the POS coralife will jump up and down some time. I base mine off of the radio shack one. It's much more stable and does not fluctuate as much. My night time temps are around 80.4 :)

It's the OUT on the radio shack. I guess for outdoors.

I put my Fishbowl Moonlights in a slightly different location, right where the reflector bends, underneath the bottom light when the hood is open. I had to turn the moonlights so they faced a little more towards the front, but the coverage is similar to Web Guy's. The whole tank is bathed in light, front to back, side to side.

I have pictures, I just don't know how to upload them with the replies. If anyone can give me directions on how to upload pix, I'd appreciate it!

bowfront26

thanks web guy, very nice job. Radioshack works for me too:) Did you use the screws to mount or the 2x tape. I just wish I had ordered one for my nano now, oh well only 5.75 for shipping.

I just used the supplied double sided tape, worked fine!.

I mounted the radio shack unit with a screw and wall mount piece on the back.:)

shao-lin nano

is that the 24g hood sneirbo? anyway, i no longer have the stock reflector.

i'm thinking of picking up one of these and as soon as i do i'll probably install it in front of the first bulb...seems like there is still a little space there to squeeze in these moon lights.

They just fit in front of the hood between the stock PC's and the splashguard on a 24DX as long as you don't use the supplied mounts. I have pics in the system setups showing them with the stock LED's on. What it doesn't show is that the tube that houses the lights has warped and something oozed out of one of the end caps coating 4 out of 5 LED's. Guess it can't take the heat(and I just added a 70w MH!)Will post pics when my daughter brings my camera back.

How are your moonlights doing so far guys? I just got mine on monday and only had them in for a couple hours between the pcs in my stock 24DX and had to take it out. The silicone also oozed in mine covering the leds, but it also started oozing out of the endcap onto my splash guard. Whatever they use cannot take close proximity heat. Also the tube was touching both PCs. Tonight I removed the leds from the clear tube and mounted them alone in the same spot between the bulbs. I'll see how that works out althought I don't forsee any problems that way. Also, in order to melt the silicone off the leds to remove it I just used a high power hair dryer. I really like the product, but it should definitely be kept away from high heat. Perhaps another solution would be upon recieving them to remove the endcaps and remove the silicone before installation.

I've had no problems where I mounted mine (inside the splash gaurd, behind the lights). Mine have worked fine since I mounted them. Though due to changing out power stips and a couple of electrical outages in the past month, I've yet to see a full lunar cycle on my moonlights. Every time they get disconnected, or lose power, they start over at day 1.

Sparkling_Surfer

I just ordered a moontube for my 12DX...yay! I bought a different moonlight a month ago but it only lights up one spot in the back of the tank...so I'll trade it in for some nassarius snails & fighting conchs :)

So the verdict is that the moontube shouldn't touch the lights? In between the two lights is the best place? And remove the silicone before installing?

I'm not sure about how it's working for everyone else, but when I had mine between the bulbs with the bulbs touching it, it caused the silicone to melt and drip out, so I'm testing mine right now completely removed from the tube. Illumination looks so much better than the Nano stock moonlights(no more spotlight). I think some people still have it installed with the tube between the lights though. I only messed with mine cause it actually dripped out of the tube.

Archived