Coral Vue Hydros

what kind of glue for coral frags do you use???

yOyOYoo

I've never had to glue down a coral frag before but it looks like it's about that time.

Not sure what to get.

I just tried using regular superglue but not only did the frag not hold, it got globs of superglue in my tank.X)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is there like a "putty" silicon type glue out there.

I think it would be easier. I really can't get the superglue to work...

Yeah I got this stick of putty that you nead together and then you have 7 minutes to use before it starts to harden, works great.

for small frags(zoos & shrooms), i have used loc-tite super glue, but you have to get the gel. the liquid is just too runny, and the gel is easier to handle. for larger frags(sps or corals on rocks) i have used aquamend which is a waterproof putty. it is available at home depot for like three bucks. it works great, but the only drawback is that this stuff is bright white once the two parts are kneaded together. luckily, it's starting to get covered with corraline, looking more natural.

i use gel superglue (ive used krazie glue,3m,a few no name brands, and dollar store things.) i just recently got a bottle of loc-tite because ive heard peopl ercomend it. i barely got to use it ( my little sisters friend is a jerk and tried to superglue my bottle of superglue to the table and it didnt work)but it works awsome for frags best ive used so far.but other brands will do pretty good too.

-Chris

It comes in a cylinder and its made by marineland I think, I dont have the package anymore though.. Go to that pet place.com I think they have it.

birdman204

Loc-tite

Dura-gel

Zap Gel

anything cyanoacrylate based and gel consistency will work good. Get a glob of glue on the frag, hold it under water... till it crusts over a little.... then attach.

i use the thick super glue from hobby people (if there is one by you) works well, and when you dip the item in water before placing it in the tank, it helps cure it up and prevent any contamination.

went to home depot and the only glue I could find was Aquamend Epoxy Putty, seems to be holding ok but it did take a seemingly long time for it to start to "stick" and harden.

I really pissed off my frogspawn trying to get it to stick onto the putty. =(

do all these adhesives need to be applied underwater? or does the superglue gel have to be applied to dry surfaces first? i'm just making sure before i go squirting a tube of superglue all over my tank... O.o

I also like the Aquamend from Home Depot. It is great for attaching pieces of LR to the main LR. For frags nothing beats Loctite Super Glue Gel.

B)

Cellenzweig
Why won't the superglue kill things in tank?
It's not toxic. The active ingredient was originally used to close wounds in WW2.

do all these adhesives need to be applied underwater? or does the superglue gel have to be applied to dry surfaces first? i'm just making sure before i go squirting a tube of superglue all over my tank...
Nope, do the glueing outside the tank. As soon as the wet glue touches water, it will harden. There are some glues that will work under water, like the GARF glue, but I've never tried it.

I personally use the LocTite Superglue Gel as well. From my experience, it is the easiest to control and makes the least mess.

Cellenzweig: so it's best to dry both surfaces that will be receiving the glue, correct? i have small pieces of GSP but it's unattached and I want to glue some of it to the back of my tank, would i have to drain it about 1/3 in order to dry the surface of the tank?

Archived