Innovative Marine Aquariums

New kitchen eye candy...

Brooklyn Johnny

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brooklyn Johnny

Top shot of my four new ricordeas in their final resting place along with the tail of my squamosa...

Brooklyn Johnny

New orange tunicates from Dr. Mac (along with the gorgonian)... taking up a nice spot of shady real estate...

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks Dustin... yeah nothing can beat a top down shot of a maxima or crocea... here's my acropora cerealis (possibly) that I put as my avatar...

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks seamountain... on this sight you'll find plenty to shoot for... here's another shot of the ricordeas...

Brooklyn Johnny

Set up is as follows... lighting is a 2x36 watt ahsupply.com retrofit, with bulbs from hellolights.com (one 10,000k and one actinic). Above the tank is a 7 gallon refugium (critter keeper) with two 15 watt NO "Lights of America" kits from Home Depot that cost about $7 a pop. I run those 24/7. In the tank I have two Minijet 606s at each corner (upgraded from original 404s) and I have an Aquaclear 150 on the back, drilled to fit another Minijet (404) that pumps up to the fuge. The fuge then gravity feeds back to the tank. I have another powerhead in the fuge for circulation. I have an ebo-jager (I think 150 watt) in the fuge. I now drip about a half gallon full strength kalk (1 tsp per gallon) every night, and on top of that have been recently adding about 12 mLs of B-ionic as the kalk cannot keep up. Calcium stays between 400 and 450 and I try and keep my alk around 3.0 meq/L. I do just over a one gallon water change a week, and dose 10 mLs DT's every other day.

Mac here is a quick summary of the specs from an older post. I just updated how much B-ionic I'm adding, now up to 12 mLs a day. Here is the link to the older post which has plenty of info on my setup and many more pics if you haven't seen yet. If you have any specifics just ask...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=11234

The one your pointing to is one of the five species of gorgonian I have. I identified it down to a genus a while back, possibly Eunicea (I'd have to check that), but they're commonly known as sea rods. It's got a real thick skeleton, not fine like most gorgs... here's a pic of it from the old thread...

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's another shot showing a pink plating montipora sp. that may have been the "fin" you're talking about. You could also see the gorgonian with the polyps closing... Feel free to ask more specifics as many of the things in my tank go unnoticed in the larger pics... Thanks again...

Johnny

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's a top shot of my green pocillopra head and purple gorgonian... also to the left you see my orange monti cap that I got from the President of my reef club (WAMAS). Turns out he got his frag from Sanjay Joshi's Penn State tank... a cool surprise...

Mac yes I only have those two PCs. They are right on the water, and the high-light corals are up high in the water column. People always generalize about PCs and VHOs, comparing my setup with their 75 gallon where they tried to keep a tridacna on the sand and their PCs were 9 inches above the surface of the water. In that other thread I posted growth pics, and while I too was skeptical at first things have turned out great. Lighting is important, but everyone always attempts to quatify that while overlooking the 9000 other things that important in a reef. That's a little about how I feel about it :D

Brooklyn Johnny

Also the fact that they are just 2 36 watters doesn't really matter either. If I had four 96 watters over the tank many of the corals up high would receive the same light, as much of the surrounding PCs would only be giving them residual light... you get the drift. While I agree MHs should be on ALL larger tanks, I think many people fail under certain conditions and the lighting is the easy scapegoat. As I mentioned too all PCs are not the same, with coral placement and placement within the hood play a huge role. Speaking of Sanjay, check out his studies on the difference in intensity in halides when placed 6", 9", or 12" above the water. The differences are HUGE. Anyway here's a shot of my emerald crab walking over my purple max showing the new white growth laid down. This guy is growing well, but I've since yanked the emerald after I found him picking my prized clams... seperate storyX)

Brooklyn Johnny

Nice tank mac... I just looked at it in your thread... the 29g... or is it the 1/2 g???? :D You miss your ten? I miss my 180! My wife and I are looking for a house now so I can get it set up again. We may have a house built, in which case it won't be ready for about a year and a half. If that turns out to be the case I'm thinking of setting up a RR Oceanic 58, because there is no way in he** my 180 would fit in our apartment... Anyway... back to my 10... which I always say has my 180 gallons of ideas put in a nano:D

Here's one of the stag branches that is actually out of the water for part of the day...

Archived