SaltCritters.com

IMAC Oceanic cube display

icenine

Oceanic had the new "all in one" on display at this weekend's IMAC confrence.

For those that did not get the chance to go, I thought I would post some pics.

Still no definative in store date or price point for the tanks yet, which will be available in 8, 14 and 29 gallon sizes.

My overall impression was that it's a nice tank. The dimensions are probably the most appealing feature. It's a shallower, longer display area (in the 29 vs 24 jbj or 'pod). I would also wager that the volume is pretty darn close to the advertised size. Smart things they have done is to follow current's lead with seperate switches for each 36w bulb (though they are kinda crappy coralife bulbs... not that that's a big deal) and a built in surface skimmer. ...The ballasts are remote which is another plus.

What they still have not figured out is that reefers will want more flow... one pump, one outlet to the display.

Here are some pics:

IMACsign.jpg

This is the 29 gallon with stand:

fullfront.jpg

Side view:

IMAC.jpg

Hood:

OChoohclosed.jpg

In addition to the feeding port lid there is an independant lid for the filtration area (the whole hood still lifts up):

OChoodopen.jpg

Here is a detail of the filtration chambers. They are nice... quite a bit of room over the top, you might have a few more skimmer options here than with the jbj or 'pod.

filterchamberdetail.jpg

Quick shots of the 8 gallon (the 14 was not on display):

8gallon2.jpg

(Note: this one did not have the lid over the filtration chambers)

OC8gallon.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tank looks ok. never a huge fan of all in one tanks. i still can't understand why they cram so many fish and fake corals into such small tanks though.

Sorry... I din't get the exact dims on any size tank. I didn't bring a tape measure, the rep there didn't know and I did not spot any poop sheet that listed it.

RayWhisperer

Looks like a nice tank.

Ice;

How was the show?

Anything else of particular interest?

Edit; Did you see any fellow N-R'ers there?

It was cool. I stopped by Friday afternoon and for a bit on Saturday. I was only able to catch a little bit of a couple presentations.

There was some neat stuff to see... new products like an electronic ballast that can dial in any wattage bulb or the oceanic cube, lots of frags for sale... Sharkysreef had a stunning clam in addition to probably the most impressive selection of coral. ...salytycritter, rod's reef and a few others had really nice frags as well.

I only ran into one nr.com'er... but a bunch of other CMAS folks were around on Saturday.

I think the main thing though really is just the fact you have all those reefers in one place... the experience of being there and the exchange of information. If you are just going to buy frags or equipment you may be dissapointed. Making a purchase at some of the boths could be a challange... because everyone is busy chatting with someone. There were some really good deals to be had still. I would have liked to have been able to spend more time there. After being able to check it out for free this year I may dedicate more time to it next year.

I like the door in the back. Should provide plenty of room to hang a Remora or hoses for other skimmers, auto-topoff units, sumps, ect. Am I the only person who is surprised that the glass is only 1mm thicker than the 24 Nano Cube, though? Oceanic usually goes overboard on glass thickness. The thickness on the Oceanic 30 gallon cubes is a lot more than 6mm. I notice some light bleed on the sides of the hood. Doesn't bother me, but it does some people. Any word on the pricing?

I like the door in the back. Should provide plenty of room to hang a Remora or hoses for other skimmers, auto-topoff units, sumps, ect. Am I the only person who is surprised that the glass is only 1mm thicker than the 24 Nano Cube, though? Oceanic usually goes overboard on glass thickness. The thickness on the Oceanic 30 gallon cubes is a lot more than 6mm. I notice some light bleed on the sides of the hood. Doesn't bother me, but it does some people. Any word on the pricing?

I spoke to the rep regarding some of this stuff.One thing she mentioned future plans include providing a skimmer for the middle chamber but I think this may still be in the planning stages.

Future plans also include another model with MH lighting.Although I'm sure this mod will be done by many DIY guys before this comes out.

I thought the 2006 NC24 have 6mm glass now making it the same thickness as this cube.

I did question her regarding the cracking issue and her response was that is one advantage to coming out with a tank after someone else is that it gives you time to make it better through testing.She really had nothing to say as to why their tank won't crack over a NC24.And she said that is why the delay to mid-end of June shipping as they wanted to do futher testing to make sure there would be no problems.Only time will tell on this though.

And when asked about the pricing she didn't have a definite answer but seemed to think it would be roughly $30.00 more than the NC24.If that holds true you are also getting 5 more gallons capacity making that not a bad deal.

One final note.While I was talking to her regarding the cracking issue there was another guy standing there too who commented he got an NC24 that cracked after two days so he returned it and got an Oceanic 30g cube instead.I must admit it makes me nervous that although its 5g more capacity it looks very close to the same design as a NC24.

Fishfreak218

Thank you icenine for the pics....

I like that they made the feeding door bigger.. the AP you had to open the whole lid to get your hand in there.. and that disturbs everything.... that lid thing was a big turnoff on the AP... JMO

also got any more pics of any of the displays or fragtanks ??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10" Red Devil

Wow! I gotta say I really dont like these. The lines on the top just look awkward and not nearly as attractive as the JBJ. Although if I had the choice between this or the JBJ I would choose the Oceanic, just because they have been around alot longer then JBJ and have a better rep. That and alot of the JBJs are leaking, even the supposedly thicker glassed ones.

• 2 weeks later...

These should be available now. I looked in my private secret central pet whole sale book today and they were listed as available under "all-glass aquariums".

Doesn't really look all that special if you ask me.

I'd hold off for the aquamedic nanowave9.

These should be available now. I looked in my private secret central pet whole sale book today and they were listed as available under "all-glass aquariums".

Doesn't really look all that special if you ask me.

I'd hold off for the aquamedic nanowave9.

found this when i searched around:

OCC82050 BIO CUBE AQUARIUM 8 GAL Minimum Order = 1 EA 154.96

OCC82051 BIO CUBE AQUARIUM 14 GAL Minimum Order = 1 EA 190.90

OCC82052 BIO CUBE AQUARIUM 29 GAL Minimum Order = 1 EA 280.77

I believe this are out now, but a bit pricey. To me, they seems exactly like the NC except with the bigger sizes.

Anybody know where I can order one?

Marinesolutionsinc.com is supposed to have them in stock soon. I was there last week and the guy said they would be available shortly. His price for the 29g was $230 (don't know how much shipping would be).

Archived