inTank Media Baskets

300 LED Build

DaveFason

I am building a massive 300 LED build for a local. 8'x30".

I will be using three BEAST Meanwell's ( HLG Series ) along with 300 XP LED's with 40 degree optics. While its a "simple" build imagine having to strip over 300 wires, mount 300 LED's and place optics on each. ;)

SPARTAN

9db4390a.jpg

I'll keep this updated. I should have it finished sometime next week. As far as I know this is one of the largest builds on the net :D

-Dave

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have you noticed any bowing on the "L" channels with all that weight? I got some bending with just four 8" x 10" heatsinks in a 6 feet long lamp. BTW, aluminum channels were 1/8" gauge.

Are those HLG series dimmable? How are you going to wire the strings? Gimme some ideas, you know I'm about to do the same :lol:

The price is pretty high but instead of running 4-6 400w halides he wanted to use LED's. No chiller, lower bills and not having to change out the bulbs was the deal breaker.

I am using a HLG-240-42B. This is a dimmable driver ( I think only 40-100% ) and measures in around 10"x3". The output is 42v 5.7A making it perfect to run in parallel with such a high number of LED's. Not only is it much safer than running 20+ ELN's its less wires.

e0c8ca02.jpg

I will be adding resistors to each string so I can get a accurate reading. The actual count with be 297 with 9 strings with 11 LED's each. This will make each string running ~600mA which will be PLENTY.

I dont have any bowing with the L channel. Each heatsink is mounted with three screws. I used 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" channel . I will use three wire hanging kits, one in the middle and the other others on the sides. This should support it just fine. The overall weight will be 110 pounds!

XP LED's. I would have used Rebel's but I did not want to use my small three ups with this build. I was able to order the exact binning for these so I am confident that the parallel strings will work fine.

2078109c.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dave

Been wanting to find an excuse to play with the HLG's, but so far I haven't justified one.

Just a note on future projects; Bridgelux 402's do have 32 degree optics. This would cut the amount of white XP-E / XR-Es by in half.

So, what color are we going to be using here? :-)

Hello, just tagging along. I never saw that power supply/driver before. Would you be able to help me? I am trying to use less power supply/driver as possible. I am planning on hooking up all my 36 3w cree royal blue and 22 3w cree blue into one powersupply/driver and dim them at the same time if that is possible? I need your help. Thanks a lot.

blaster - 2:1 Royal DUH! ;)

yourracer - Look for the HLG series with a lower output. You would have to run the LED's in parallel.

-Dave

GUDAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imma be watchin this!!!

Beautiful heatsinks, I love the look of a work in progress. The potential is always more attractive to me than the final product. Something about a pile of LEDs and some huge heatsinks that gets my blood pressure rising lol :D.

Since you are running parallel strings, aren't you worried about losing a whole array if one of them pops? Seems like the remaining LEDs on that string would be getting too much voltage-- what kind of failsafe do you have to prevent such a thing?

I have had an XPG blow but it was at 1.4A.

is there a way you can subscribe to a certain thread on Nano Reef?

Top right hand corner, there is an "options" button. First selection is "Track this thread". Follow the link and click on whatever method you want to use for following thread (instant, daily, weekly etc...). I always pic "weekly" for ones like this that might get firebombed with 1000 replies in a week so I don' thave to clean out my inbox every day lol.

The area is normally more cluttered. I have so many LED's and heatsinks. I'll snap a photo for you.

L Channel is 1/8" thick and the heatsinks are 1.3".

Thanks Matt - You should come over and check out all the cool stuff. Controllers, LED's, heatsinks and prototypes. :)

I am not worried because if one string goes out the LED's will still only run @ ~750, then if another string goes then a fuse will blow. The best part about the HLG is how efficient it is. 94-96%!

-Dave

Blaster - Yea I know. I hope he only has sand and stuff!

Here's the guys tank. Very nice! It will be using 2 MP60's and all the wood is removable. I have a few other builds going on that way up there too.

8'x3'x3'

156252_1714955197272_1339963977_1805463_3114000_n.jpg

155779_1714955597282_1339963977_1805464_4203339_n.jpg

-Dave

th_drooling-emoticon.gif

now that i've seen that tank... this is REALLY insane. please keep feeding us with pics ! Can't even imagine how sweet this will be in a few months.

Archived