Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

thinking about adding antinic led strips to my RSM

ToXIc

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...fm?pcatid=21598

hey peeps i need some input, i'm thinking about adding antinic led strips to my RSM's hood but wondering how i can integrate them into the hoods circuit so they will work with the existing timer...

i'll either get the 453nm Actinic Blue or 403nm Ultraviolet...

or i was also thinking i can just leave it on a separate timer and have it come on 1hr before the main lights and go off 1 hr after..

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...fm?pcatid=21598

hey peeps i need some input, i'm thinking about adding antinic led strips to my RSM's hood but wondering how i can integrate them into the hoods circuit so they will work with the existing timer...

i'll either get the 453nm Actinic Blue or 403nm Ultraviolet...

or i was also thinking i can just leave it on a separate timer and have it come on 1hr before the main lights and go off 1 hr after..

I like your second idea, I put my moonlights on a timer to come on 1hr before the lights and go out 1 hr after. Putting them on a different timer is easier IMO plus you will get the dawn dusk effect. HTH

I like your second idea, I put my moonlights on a timer to come on 1hr before the lights and go out 1 hr after. Putting them on a different timer is easier IMO plus you will get the dawn dusk effect. HTH

yeah thats what i'm thinking...

edit: but do you think there will be too much heat to install in the light/reflector housing or should i put it outside..

edit: but do you think there will be too much heat to install in the light/reflector housing or should i put it outside..

i have one on my metal halide pendant using the double sided tape. it gets warm , but i have not had any problems with the stunner from the heat yet. i had the ultra violet one also but sent it back. i would go with the 453 if i were you

i have one on my metal halide pendant using the double sided tape. it gets warm , but i have not had any problems with the stunner from the heat yet. i had the ultra violet one also but sent it back. i would go with the 453 if i were you

kool thanks for the heads up ..

is there a cheaper alternative? or should just stick with the ecoxotic ?

edit: also will 2 strips be overkill on the RSM?

I am not sure if you like DIY projects, but if you wanted to integrate them into your hoods timer you could go with these LED strips in blue, which put out 470nm http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips. I have an 18" and 9" on either side of my tank and wired them into an old laptop power supply I had, however I am sure you could wire it into your lights. Plus, you will save some cash ;)

I use one of the strips with my 4x24w T5. It does make a subtle difference but one strip is not enough to add shimmer when the main lights are on. It is really great to have come on before and stay on after the other lights. It makes the colors really pop. I would also go with the 453. The 403 does help a bit with the greens but it doesn't add nearly as much as the 453.

This is what I did becuse I was worried about the heat effecting the led's. Its not the same fixture but it may give you an idea of how you can mount the leds. Good luck. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=248499

hey guys.. thanks for your input.. i greatly appreciate it..

but one last question the price on fosterandsmith the $46.99 that price doesnt include the power-supply right?

• 2 weeks later...

2 strips will be far from overkill. The stunner strips aren't that powerful at all, so the more the better if you are using them for anything other than moonlighting.

I would go with the 453s instead of the UVs. I've seen the stunners in person, and the UVs don't do much.

Archived