Top Shelf Aquatics

Uncle JT's 17g ADA 60-P

UncleJT

Project JAADA

Just Another ADA

Other than a 10g tank I setup a few years ago, this is my smallest tank build to date. All over my other aquariums over the past 20 years have been 40G Breeders or larger. However, lately, I've been growing more and more fond of small tanks and my new motto going forward is going to be "if I can't pick it up and carry it by myself, it's too big" and I am getting too old to be carrying 40 Breeders by myself.

Goal of this project is minimalistic simplicity.

Foundation:

ADA 60-P Aquarium (24x12x14)

ADA Garden Mat (foam pad that sits between the tank and stand)

Aqueon Home Impressions Series Cabinet

Lighting:

175W Iwasaki 15,000K "PAR Factory"

IceCap Pendant

Filtration/Heating/Circulation:

10 lbs. Indo Live Rock

Eheim 2213 Classic Canister

Glass Lily Pipes

Vortech MP10 ES

Hydor ETH 200-12 In-Line Heater

(more details coming later as build progresses)

ogkk6s.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waiting for the Vortech, Heater, and Lily Pipes to arrive along with a new RO/DI and I will be able to get water and rock in the tank. Everything should be here by the end of the week. B)

Looks great. I like that stand. I have the open bottom version of it. That's cool how you went about hanging your lights too. It looks nice.

Did you get your lily pipes from ADA or where did you find them? Seems like they are out of stock everywhere!

Did you get your lily pipes from ADA or where did you find them?

I ordered a 13mm combo set last week from AquaticMagic, they are knock-offs but were highly recommended by several planted tank folks. Unfortunately, it looks like they are now out of stock as well as I no longer see them on their website. :huh: They haven't arrived yet, they ship from Malaysia so they take awhile to get here.. hopefully by the end of the week I will have them.

My Eheim 2213 arrived today. RO/DI is scheduled to arrive on Friday and my Vortech and Heater shipped today and should be here by the end of the week as well.

Thanks for the comments.

Just a boring update. The folks I ordered the Lily Pipe set emailed me one week after the fact to say they were out of stock. :angry: I ordered a different set off of eBay today so now I just need to be patient for them to arrive.

My Vortech, heater and some misc. items arrived on Saturday and today I put them into the stand along with my Eheim 2213.

zbz49.jpg

Looks great. What do you think of the hydor inline heater so far?

The size and the fact it has to be mounted vertically make it a bit awkward to work with in confined spaces but otherwise I like it a lot so far.

Last week I received a 15lb nano box of rock from Marco's. I am still waiting for my lily pipes to arrive from Malaysia so, this morning, I decided to play around a little bit with aquascape ideas.

Pictured below is roughly 9 lbs. of the 15 lbs. of Marco rock received. I may stick with this first aquascape as I really wanted some a nice open sand area for a couple LPS. I definitely want to keep the rock low as I want to have a staghorn acropora or two. Now, I just need to remember how to put it back this way after I add sand. :rolleyes:

Comments?

i2ps85.jpg

schg, I hear you about being a bit too balanced looking. However, with the corals I have in mind, it will look fine once "grown in". Much of the final aquascape will also depend on what piece of live rock I come across to seed the tank with. Thanks for the input.

I like it, very clean setup so far... I'm still amazed at how 17G really looks like something in the range of 40-50G. I'm liking the aquascape too, I think less rock is where it's at.

fiction101

I agree with schg, that it's too balanced. I have one side of my ada low like yours but I built up the other side pretty high. It definitely gives you more options for coral placement.

P1010760.jpg

I agree with schg, that it's too balanced.

Yeah, thanks fiction.. the left side of mine will likely be a bit taller in the final aquascape as I haven't done any live rock shopping yet. I think the right side is going to stay as is.

fiction101

Oh and when you remove the rock use both hands and pick it up at once. I've yet to be able to make the same aquascape twice. ;)

NaClCrocodile

Hope you haven't taken the rockwork down yet. I find it more stable to put sand around the rock so that if the sand shifts, the rockwork doesn't fall with it.

I'm still waiting for the damn lily pipes to arrive from Malaysia so I am bored and thus still tweaking things. With the external, in-line, heater, I didn't like how much extra tubing I had to use in order to create a smooth, kink-free, bend. With the drawer in this stand, there is just not much vertical height. Therefore, I decided to move the canister and heater outside of the tank. It's not ideal but I'm single and can get away with stuff like this. The tank is also in the corner of the room so it's not really visible from anywhere else in the room.

Other than waiting on the lily pipes, I am ready to go. *grumble*

6qjkf6.jpg

Oh crap, I've been so bored today and, therefore, my mind has been doing a lot of thinking on this tank. I just had a conversation with Jeff Senske of adgshop.com. Jeff is the US distributor of ADA tanks. He has informed me that none of the panes on the 60-P are tempered. Now I am thinking of drilling this bad boy.

Yea i could have told you that :P Ive seen quite a few drilled ADA's. Im looking forward to see what you do with it.

Yea i could have told you that :P

Well why didn't ya? :P Seriously though.. I did search around first, most people were saying that "all ADA tanks are tempered" so I wanted to make sure. However, I dunno.. wanted to keep this tank simple so that is why I was copying your filtration setup.

I agree with schg, that it's too balanced. I have one side of my ada low like yours but I built up the other side pretty high. It definitely gives you more options for coral placement.

P1010760.jpg

That's nearly identical to my scape.

Archived