Crab Cakes 5.5

Wendy

FTS April 2010

IMG_1014.jpg

FTS of both sides July 2010

Aug_FTS.jpg

Stand for the light.

IMG_1019.jpg

Applied rubber feet to bottom of a bamboo chopping block.

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

Took the light apart to drill holes for the wire...

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

Final Set Up

IMG_1111.jpg

Tank: 5.5 Do!aqua glass cube

Light: 20" 40w Satellite

Flow: koralia nano

Fuge & surface skimmer: Doctors Foster & Smith BioSystem 25

Livestock:

Blue legged hermit (Fruit cake)

Stripped hermit (Upside Down cake) -took the bugger back to lfs

Emerald crab (Cupcake)

Porcelain crab (Strawberry cake)

Pompom crab (Red Velvet cake)

Peppermint shrimp

4- nassarius snails

3- cerith snails

1- nerite (jumped ship for 24 hr.s & died)

Corals:

mushrooms- green & blue spotted, green hairy, purple

yellow button polyps

pink palys

15 different colored ricordea mushrooms

blue/purple yuma

green star polyps

pompom xenia

blue cloves

Zoas- purple w/yellow ring, pink, blue w/yellow skirt ,pink w/orange skirt ,orange,

brown w/dark pink center, bluish/green w/brown skirt, orange w/yellow skirt, green w/yellow skirt

Macro Algae:

Red Grape (Botryocladia)

Codium (put in fuge to keep away from Emerald crab)

Blue Ball (Ochtodes)

Red Flame

Red Fern

Cactus (Halimeda)

Sea lettuce (Ulva)

cheato (in fuge)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BLoCkCliMbeR

i got that same cutting board....

you arnt worried about it coming apart if it get water logged for too long? its bamboo strips glued together

Look on that site under Do!aqua products... I do believe that is the site that I ordered my tank from. Shipping was fairly cheap, it arrived super fast & the packaging was great.

stangchris

those tanks are so nice and the price is good. where did you get the stand to hold the light, i need one bad my arms on my picotope light rusted and cracked, i moded it to hold a heatsink and cree LED's and now it sits on 2 wooden sticks. Good luck on this set up

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I have been so bad about updates! I did get rock put into the tank on Saturday April 22nd; it came from an established tank so there was no noticeable cycle.

IMG_1128.jpg

I didn't put sand in right away because I hadn't found what I was wanting yet. However I did go ahead & put some clean up crew into the tank with some ulva for them to munch on.

Check out this hermit... I think I'll name him Upside Down Cake.

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Before my husband could help me cut an acrylic lid, this cool snail had come up missing one night & I couldn't find it anywhere. It wasn't until the next evening that I finally found it sitting on my kitchen counter top behind some junk mail.

I wasn't sure how long the poor thing had been out of the tank, so I just threw it back in & it amazed me that it's little tentacles came out & it started moving up onto the rock. Well, I watched that snail every chance I had to see how it would fare.... after a couple days the thing stopped moving very much....and....

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

While I was taking these pics & trying to get some good shots I noticed that I had an audience.

IMG_1165.jpg

Then practiced with macro setting & lighting...

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

At last I noticed that this little one got to finish it's meal without the other Fruit Cake interfering.

IMG_1217.jpg

the other "fruit cake" is relatively reef safe. the grey and black legged one is gonna grow larger and will become extremely agressive. just so you know, he's not reef safe.

The snail was a nerite and luckily those can survive above water but they have the bad habit of crawling out of tanks since they are tidal animals.

nice audience haha xD

I really like that blue shroom. was that a hitchicker?

I placed this tank on our mini bar that's between the kitchen/dining room & the living room.

I really like the fact that I can view the tank from 3 sides!

Here's a current FTS of both sides.

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

the grey and black legged one is gonna grow larger and will become extremely agressive. just so you know, he's not reef safe.

I really like that blue shroom. was that a hitchicker?

I'll be keeping an eye on the "Upside Down Cake"... that hermit actually looks to have pale green stripped legs (could be a greyish now that you say it)???

The green & blue spotted mushrooms may have been, I can't remember.?

That piece of rock came out of my NC24.

Thank you for the help & thanx for looking!

I'm searching for an ID on that crab that I mentioned just to be 100% sure whether he'll be a problem to you or not :)

EDIT: all I'm coming up is Striped Hermit and Green Striped hermit...let me look into it more. theyre so common in pet stores I cant believe that i cannot remember their name >_<

EDIT 2: its Clibanarius vittatus. it says they grow up to 10 cm in size, so I'm assuming it can overpower and kill everything in that pico eventually :(

pismo_reefer

I did a 9.5g tank with the same veiwability....

Check it out.

BackSide FTS...

DSCN5135.jpg

Front.

DSCN5663.jpg

Go big or go home!

omgomgomg

Newman, Thanx for the id. Do you think it'll go postal on my snails since it's in such a small tank? :scarry:

Oh & I wasn't going for a lagoon style, just kinda tossed the stuff in there. I really suck at scaping.

Pismo, nice tank you got there. :wub:

nah its a great start, idk what youre tanking about :P

the hermit could cause trouble for the snails, yes...they are opportunistic feeders.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived