SaltCritters.com

nano softie tank

Squared

So this is a re-post of my 12g nano cube lagoon aquarium, but this time with more pictures and harlequin shrimp!

Its 3+ months old, with various soft corals and some macro algea.

The fish is a neon damsel fish.

post-50662-1266626284_thumb.jpg

post-50662-1266626362_thumb.jpg

post-50662-1266626403_thumb.jpg

post-50662-1266626438_thumb.jpg

post-50662-1266626490_thumb.jpg

post-50662-1266626522_thumb.jpg

post-50662-1266626546_thumb.jpg

post-50662-1266626579_thumb.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-50662-1266626606_thumb.jpg

This is one of my two harlequins. I accedentily scared the other one into the rock work while cleaning algea. Wonderful buy at $35 for both. I'll try to get them together soon. Click on the pics for a better look. Yes, the sea stars in the back chamber.

My male harlequin came out of hiding and rejoined the female. They were touching claws, and I think the female cut the male some seastar and gave it to him. So now he's eating a small sea star ball. Thought this was cool.

post-50662-1266629352_thumb.jpg

post-50662-1266629394_thumb.jpg

Even though I got my shrimp, my tank still needs a little more. What do you recomend in terms of inverts? Are sponges hard to take care of?

animalmaster6
Even though I got my shrimp, my tank still needs a little more. What do you recomend in terms of inverts? Are sponges hard to take care of?

Some sponges can be hard to take care of. You have to dose A LOT!

Pm Bongo Shrimp. He keeps tons of exotic sponges :)

Feather duster/coco worms are cool, and you can find some really nice colors.

One sex doesn't have the colored patches on the underside of its tail (the shrimp).

If they were both females, wouldn't beat each other up? Ones smaller, and thier sharing food. I'm pretty sure their male/female. If you look closer, you can see the abdonem size. Quite a difference. Click on the pics for a better look. What exactle are white lighting sponges? They seem very interesting.

not really...

If they were both females, wouldn't beat each other up? Ones smaller, and thier sharing food. I'm pretty sure their male/female. If you look closer, you can see the abdonem size. Quite a difference. Click on the pics for a better look. What exactle are white lighting sponges? They seem very interesting.

Well, I'm pretty sure they are a pair. You know what would look nice? A feather worm garden! Imagine many feather worms of different sizes and colors...

animalmaster6
Well, I'm pretty sure they are a pair. You know what would look nice? A feather worm garden! Imagine many feather worms of different sizes and colors...

Oooooh. That would look nice!

What is the absolute minimun lighting for porties with christmas tree worms? I know I can't keep them under a 24w pc, but just wondering. Can christmas tree worms be found in a normal rock?

Awesome tank. I have a similar idea if I ever get around to it heh.

Porites need a good amount of flow and can be kept under PCs, MH and T5HO, but will do best under MH or T5HO. Under PC, put them near the top of the tank. It may not have the best color under PC though, especially 24w. I would recommend not getting it until you get better lighting

X-mas tree worms are kinda hard to take care of. They need to be feed regularly with filter feeder foods and must be under an overhang or something in the shade. Normally, you would need to buy a rock that has been collected with them in it. Sorta rare otherwise from what I hear.

So I've come up with a list of differend inverts I could get:

1. rock nem and pederson shrimp

2. pom pom crab

3. criniod squat lobster

4. bumble bee shrimp

5. help me think of more!

I would like to make a super-invert tank.

animalmaster6
So I've come up with a list of differend inverts I could get:

1. rock nem and pederson shrimp

2. pom pom crab

3. criniod squat lobster

4. bumble bee shrimp

5. help me think of more!

I would like to make a super-invert tank.

I wouldn't get Bumblee Snails... AT ALL!!!

Just beware that sqaut lobsters are very cool but they don't do really good without a crinoid.

Oh I said bumble bee SHRIMP not snails. But I forgot about the snails. Why are they bad? Liveaquaria says the criniod squat lobsters don't need a criniod, but if they are lying, there are still squat lobsters that don't host criniods.

Anybody here know anything about Coleman shrimp?

animalmaster6
Oh I said bumble bee SHRIMP not snails. But I forgot about the snails. Why are they bad? Liveaquaria says the criniod squat lobsters don't need a criniod, but if they are lying, there are still squat lobsters that don't host criniods.

Anybody here know anything about Coleman shrimp?

Sorry :blush:

They are bad because they eat SPS and they attack other snails, hermits, small fish, and even small shrimp.

I guess they don't need one. All the reef books I've read say thry always are in crinoids (not aqaurium books, wild reef books.)

Archived