Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

bottyfish 20G thread

bottyfish

Hi everyone,

New to this forum. Gonna be posting my 20G progress... Open to comments and suggestions. Thanks B)

===============================================================

I'll update my FTS on this first post so that everyone doesn't need to go through to find it... :lol:

Check out gallery --> Click

Current FTS... B)

fts10162010.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank specs

Setup Type: Mixed Reef

Tank size: 20G 24x14x13

Sump size:10G 20x12x11

Stand: DIY Canopy and stand (wood)

Equipment

Skimmer: Tunze Nano

Pump/powerheads: Mag 3, 2x Tunze Mini 5024.04

Lighting: MH DE 150w 20k with 2x 24w T5 ATI aquablue +

Filtrition: 30lbs fiji tatoka/tonga LR, Two little fishy Phosban reactor, active carbon filtration

Misc: DIY ATS, Ultra 1000VA 600watt UPS

Background

New to the nano scene and I wanted to give it a try, similar to bonsai tree growing I want to and hopefully be successful in capturing the natural beauty of the reef inside my nano.

I have a 75G reef been going for about three years and this hobby has been very addictive to me, (with side effects of extreme pain to my wallet :blush: ) But for the love of the hobby, I needed another tank. Instead of getting a bigger tank, I thought I'd go nano.

Livestock

So far I have the following corals, frags, fish etc:

2x Black & white ocellaris clowns

1 x Catalina goby

1x Yellow clown goby

1x Purple dartfish

1x Blue stripe pipefish

2 x "sexy" shrimp

1 x purple/spotted porcelain crab

1 x red fire shrimp

various snails

Teal tip hammer

Neon green frogspawn

Pearl bubble

RBTA snowflake pattern with green center (moved to another tank)

Rainbow Trachyphyllia

Purple Xenia Cespitularia

Blue Xenia Cespitularia

Various Ricordia Yumas

Various Ricordia Floridas

Powder blue Xenia

Gold tipped cloves

Red montipori cap

Aussie Acans

various colored mushrooms

Monti Setosa

FTS

timeline.jpg

I will keep updating thread as more information arises...

Thanks for looking.

20gk.jpg

Tank specs

Setup Type: Mixed Reef

Tank size: 20G 24x14x13

Sump size:10G 20x12x11

Stand: DIY Canopy and stand (wood)

Equipment

Skimmer: Tunze Nano

Pump/powerheads: Mag 3, 2x Tunze Mini 5024.04

Lighting: MH DE 150w 20k with 2x 24w T5 ATI aquablue +

Filtrition: 30lbs fiji tatoka/tonga LR, Two little fishy Phosban reactor, active carbon filtration

Background

New to the nano scene and I wanted to give it a try, similar to bonsai tree growing I want to and hopefully be successful in capturing the natural beauty of the reef inside my nano.

I have a 75G reef been going for about three years and this hobby has been very addictive to me, (with side effects of extreme pain to my wallet :blush: ) But for the love of the hobby, I needed another tank. Instead of getting a bigger tank, I thought I'd go nano.

Livestock

So far I have the following corals, frags, fish etc:

2x Black & white ocellaris clowns

1x Yellow clown goby

1x Purple dartfish

2 x "sexy" shrimp

1 x anemone crab

1 x red fire shrimp

2x red scarlet hermit crabs

various snails

Teal tip hammer

Neon green frogspawn

pinktip frogspawn

Rainbow Trachyphyllia

Purple Xenia Cespitularia

Orange Yuma

Yellow Yuma

Purple, Orange Green Yuma

Orange blue ricordea

Powder blue xenia

Gold tipped cloves

Red montipori cap

Aussie Acan

various colored mushrooms

FTS

dsc07816d.jpg

I will keep updating thread as more information arises...

Thanks for looking.

20gk.jpg

Love the photo of the full tank and the small photos like sticky notes. What did you use to make that effect?

Love the photo of the full tank and the small photos like sticky notes. What did you use to make that effect?

Hi Kidd,

Photoshop to rotate the image freely then put them ontop of a the main pic. The pics of the corals themselves were not altered =) Just took them using a plain old sony cybershot...

Thanks

Hi Violinist. Its called Trikentrion flabelliforme - White Line Sponge.

White line sponge = Candy Cane sponge. It is a beautiful filter feeder! nice piece.

your tank looks amazing. great workmanship on your canopy

Thanks!

I was considering a vortech mp10. B)

Wanted to get people's opinion on whether i should dish out that kind of money for a 20g? It could be my love for the hobby talking or it could be cuz its sooo sweet of a wavemaker/powerhead. :lol:

How long have you had that sponge? What do you feed it? Again, wicked cool piece.

Hi Violinist,

Like Lou is saying it is a filter feeder and is not photosynthetic.

I feed Frozen cyclopeeze soaked in a solution of selcon and garlic that i blend to a paste, i add a few drops of phyto.

i was thinking of getting me the same v mp10 for my 30 gal. But, i am not sure if this would be too much. Cuz from what I understand, these vortechs are really good.

i was thinking of getting me the same v mp10 for my 30 gal. But, i am not sure if this would be too much. Cuz from what I understand, these vortechs are really good.

i watched the demo on youtube. the thing can make some pretty impressive waves. Not sure how much of a gap i have to leave so the water doesnt splash out.

probably will get in trouble from my gf if i buy it anyway.. :angry: . gotta wish for a groupbuy or sale or something. -_-

Some dude on here was selling them for 170 shipped, that's a pretty good deal. I got my last one for 175 from saltwatercritters.com with MP10SPECIAL coupon code but I don't know if it would still work.

Picked up a purple (almost looks blue) monti. Here it is under just my ati blue+

purplemonti.jpg

So hard to go slow... *sigh*

Woah that is beautiful.

Yes it sucks going slow. :angry:

Read up on ATS (algae turf scrubber) and although i got the phosban and skimmer, gonna try and put together a DIY ATS to see if it decreases the algae buildup on my tank walls...

Went out and bought some parts from hardware store. (looking at my sketch you can tell i don't major in art or draw blueprints for a living... :P )

atsl.jpg

Will keep everyone posted.

Archived