ReefCleaners.org

Chaz's 50b Beast, Now with 100% more MP40!

chazde3

Well I finally got my new tank from my buddy! I spent most of the day cleaning it up, resealing the overflow box and getting all the plumbing figured out. I still need to get the back painted black so I'm hoping for a nice day which might be awhile since Michigans weather sucks lol.

I'm gonna use my led light setup I built for my 30b but will probably have to add optics, I'll have to see how everything does without them first. I have pretty much everything that I need for the setup, I might need to get a bigger return pump. Not much else to say, I'll get some pictures up tomorrow or Monday.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allright, made a little progress today. I got the sump setup pretty much completed. The sump is a standard 29g tank so overall water volume is going to roughly be 75g. I also have 10g of sw mixing in the main tank but that will be drained into buckets so I can move the tank to paint the back black. Here's some pics of the setup so far. The front center brace will be put back onto the stand and I still need to make doors for the stand.

DSC02910.jpg

DSC02911.jpg

DSC02912.jpg

Looking good man keep up the good work... you should cover those wires with something tho ;)

Yeah, I know. I was just thinking about that earlier and how to do it. I also want to get a splash guard built for the light.

Yeah, I know. I was just thinking about that earlier and how to do it. I also want to get a splash guard built for the light.

Get some of that heat shrink tubing. You slide the wires through it then run a heat gun over it and it shrinks over the wire.

Oh wow! Those LEDs are nuts!

Haha, look trough my 30b build to see pictures of what the corals look like under the royal blue leds. The pictures don't even do it justice, they look like they are radioactive.

Haha, look trough my 30b build to see pictures of what the corals look like under the royal blue leds. The pictures don't even do it justice, they look like they are radioactive.

checking your thread now :)

Well its holding water just fine. Tomorrow I'm planning on picking up the rock that a friend has been holding in his tank. Shouldn't really be a much of a cycle at all. I am also planning on getting a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse from another reefer tomorrow.

Here's how the tank looks right now.

100_6506.JPG

Looks great! Those RB LED's really make things pop. Rockwork looks great also.

Looks like a custom overflow? Also, what size drain pipe did you use?

What size return (what pump)?

I'm in the process of setting up a 40br (need to finish my stand). with a 29g sump, so I'm just fishing for ideas.

Well I traded for the tank from a friend of mine, so I'll do my best. The drain pipe is 1.5in and the return is .75in. I've got an eheim 1226 (I believe) for the pump, but I want to bump it to a bigger pump eventually.

Warehouse41Ant

Tank looks great! Love the LED setup. Going to check your build thread to get some ideas for when I upgrade to my 40b (sometime probably about a year from now).

Thanks steve. I spent a good hour and a half fragging up many of my corals for an upcoming swap. I still have many more that I need to frag up also. Gotta try to cover the cost of what I buy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived