Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Collecting animals while snorkeling (freediving)

C-Rad

I've noticed that some wild collectors want to collect animals in more than just the tide pools, but aren't ready to go through the time and expense of becoming a SCUBA diver. A few intrepid souls might be willing to hold their breath, and start freediving (snorkeling) for critters. I've done some freediving, and instead of continuing to hijack threads when the topic comes up, I wondered if there were enough interest in the topic to have its own thread. Chime in if you are interested.

Here's a comment from another thread that I started to steal, just to get things rolling...

They [anemones] don't come off more easily than you suspect. -_- :sigh: I need scuba gear. I might have gotten it, but the vis was in the 6-7 foot range and it took at least two dives to find the nem again after surfacing for air. Someday I'll try it with a weight belt and a plastic putty knife on a day with good visibility... then I'll get back to you. :P

I know what you mean. I did a lot of freediving for abalone when I lived in norther California, and I found that the best way to solve this problem was to use what spear fishermen call a "float line" with a small football shaped float on one end, and a 2 or 3 lb weight (abalone iron) on the other. The float-line is a 30 foot (or so) length of 5/16" (OD) hollow plastic tubing, plugged at both ends, with neon paint or cord inside. The tubing floats a little, and doesn't bunch up or tangle the way rope does, so it is safe to swim with, just hold the heavy end and let the rest trail behind you. If you're on the bottom and you find something you want to be able to find again on your next dive, just drop the weight/tool. You can follow the float line down from the surface on your next dive, so even in low vis you can find the exact spot you just left. If anyone wants specifics about where to get, or how to make, a float line, send me a Private Message, or read THIS THREAD

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to free dive lobster when i was younger. You need to be in good shape to be able to free dive in my opinion.

Why thanks!

I'm 53 and have been free diving since I was uh.......younger.

See the thread in my sig about the jetties nano. Yes, admittedly when I'm diving I don't get so tired, but when I get home afterwards I'm always ready to take a nap!

I've noticed that some wild collectors want to collect animals in more than just the tide pools, but aren't ready to go through the time and expense of becoming a SCUBA diver. A few intrepid souls might be willing to hold their breath, and start freediving (snorkeling) for critters.

I've been freediving since just after I was old enough to walk, and go diving and spearing any chance that I get. That said, if you mean that people should collect animals from tidepools or in the ocean in california it's incredibly illegal, and if you get caught don't be surprised at the new mortgage you'll need to take out after selling your car doesn't even begin to cover all of the fines you'll get. Research local laws very carefully before taking anything out of the ocean...

Also, anyone new to freediving should read up on shallow water blackout. I'd really advise against collecting anything (even if it's legal) if you're a new freediver. Exerting yourself while prying something off of a rock is sometimes easy to overlook when you're underwater, and thousands of divers from beginners to advanced have died on their way back to the surface.

cheryl jordan

Absolutely right, collecting even a dead shell in CA. is considered illegal on most beachs that you can do a beach dive, and the same goes for any of the Channel Islands and for good reason. People over poache lobsters and abalone as well as Garibaldis. My way around it was kayaking around the bays and docks where I would find outragenous sponges, invertabrates, alot of nudibranches, but they require a cold water system. I worked at a local puplic aquarium and collecting was still strikely inforced. Just know the laws because the coast guard is watching, there is plenty of cool things to collect both diving and snorking.

if you mean that people should collect animals from tidepools or in the ocean in california it's incredibly illegal

That is commonly believed, but I've poured over the regulations, and concluded that with a fishing license, many things (most things) are perfectly legal to take, even from tidepools (like my octopus). It is true that you can easily get into trouble if you don't know what is legal and what is not, but it is NOT true that everything is illegal to take - not even close to true.

This thread is about how to collect while freediving, and while the legal question is important, and related, I don't want this thread to get side tracked there. So, I created a thread dedicated specifically to where to find the laws about collecting marine animals in California. Please, lets take the question of California fish and game laws there.

Dustin C Mills

I think collecting out of the ocean is a bad idea. It's hard enough getting stuff to grow in the ocean anymore as it is.

If you can't afford to buy them just save up like the rest of us. It's all good. No shame in that.

My opinion.

Not to further derail the thread, but collecting our own items is the only way to get things for a coldwater aquarium if you are not a school or a public aquarium.

Also, anyone new to freediving should read up on shallow water blackout. I'd really advise against collecting anything (even if it's legal) if you're a new freediver. Exerting yourself while prying something off of a rock is sometimes easy to overlook when you're underwater, and thousands of divers from beginners to advanced have died on their way back to the surface.

+1

I agree that shallow water blackout is a big danger, and anyone freediving MUST understand how it works and how to avoid it, because it can easily kill you. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't learn how to freedive, it means that you should learn how to do it safely.

I think it's reasonable to compare freediving to downhill skiing (or snowboarding). If you hit a tree skiing, you could easily die, so learn how to be safe and responsible. Also, collecting a gorgonian in twelve feet of water is like skiing on the bunny slope. Most of the freedivers who die from shallow water blackout were pushing the envelope and either carelessly, or recklessly over exerting themselves. Don't be careless, and don't be reckless. Collecting things from tidepools is not life threatening, but freediving can be, so it's not for everyone.

Dustin C Mills
Not to further derail the thread, but collecting our own items is the only way to get things for a coldwater aquarium if you are not a school or a public aquarium.

I didn't know that.

Like I said it's just my opinion. Thanks for sharing that with me.

I think collecting out of the ocean is a bad idea. It's hard enough getting stuff to grow in the ocean anymore as it is.

If you can't afford to buy them just save up like the rest of us. It's all good. No shame in that.

My opinion.

The only way to get most coldwater items is by collecting them, there are a few ways to get them when they are sold as tropical but thats not very common.

Edit: Oh yeah sorry if I sound defensive. I am glad you understand. My family does a lot more conservation compared to my collecting haha

C-Rad,

I think the first thing someone needs to do is condition themselves. They will learn a lot about their body and the condition they are in. Then if your ready keep the free dive to shallow depths, ie no more than 10 feet.

Last time i was in the ocean I couldn't stay down more than a few seconds. I remember when I could stay down for a minute or a little more. Now I wouldn't think of being down past what i could stand in.

C-rad, thank you far the response thread. I'll look into it. I agree with the point that you shouldn't free dive if you can't stay underwater for more than a few seconds. That would be poor judgement, and conditioning would definitely be a good idea. I also think it's reasonable to suggest free diving as a means to collect cw organisms because scuba is really expensive and can be just as dangerous if you have no idea what you're doing.

Also, for anyone trying this remember: wetsuits are very buoyant - you will need weights if you intend to free dive while wearing a wetsuit. Also, wear a wetsuit, you don't want to freeze to death.

free diving isn't that difficult. if you are healthy enough to swim 4 laps in a pool without stopping you are good to go. wear flippers....life preserver and all purpose get around gear. dive deeper as you feel comfortable, know the tides and currents; and a spot down the way you can use to get to land should you forget to remember the tides and currents.

free diving isn't that difficult. if you are healthy enough to swim 4 laps in a pool without stopping you are good to go. wear flippers....life preserver and all purpose get around gear. dive deeper as you feel comfortable, know the tides and currents; and a spot down the way you can use to get to land should you forget to remember the tides and currents.

What do you mean by "life preserver"? Are you saying that flippers are life preservers? They certainly are required. Good point about the currents. They aren't much of an issue in most of the places I've dived, but I know that some places (Puget sound?) have crazy currents. My best advice about how to learn is to find someone with experience who is willing to talk to you, and ideally, go diving with you a couple of times. Take it easy, and NEVER push your limits.

2YearOldElegance

ehhh, I think he's saying you should be safe and freedive with a life preserver.

Im not sure he realizes why that sounds ridiculous.

A buoyancy compensator is probably overkill in 12 feet of water. But if you really think you could panic and not be able to make it back up I guess you could spend the money on something worse (ie a life preserver). ;)

flippers make it easy to float around, so they work like life preservers. I would rather have flippers than life preservers in most cases - you can move around at least. when friends and relatives come to town and go out for the first time I tell them to get use to floating with the flippers, and then eventually they feel comfortable diving down to get a closer look.

the currents here in certain spots can be really strong. I remember earlier this year diving under the 7 mile bridge on slack tide, and losing track of time. When the tides change there the water goes by you so fast it sort of ripples your cheek as you face it. we were swimming "up river" so to speak and then just followed the current back to the boat. (rather than have to swim against a current to get back to the boat).

ehhh, I think he's saying you should be safe and freedive with a life preserver.

Im not sure he realizes why that sounds ridiculous.

A buoyancy compensator is probably overkill in 12 feet of water. But if you really think you could panic and not be able to make it back up I guess you could spend the money on something worse (ie a life preserver). ;)

oh no, those things float up and choke you when you look down. Life preservers are just to make you bob around in the water. I would never go snorkeling on a charter because they make you wear those things.

That is commonly believed, but I've poured over the regulations, and concluded that with a fishing license, many things (most things) are perfectly legal to take, even from tidepools (like my octopus). It is true that you can easily get into trouble if you don't know what is legal and what is not, but it is NOT true that everything is illegal to take - not even close to true.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2572855

Next time take the time to actually email fish and game there genius.

I think it's reasonable to compare freediving to downhill skiing (or snowboarding). If you hit a tree skiing, you could easily die, so learn how to be safe and responsible. Also, collecting a gorgonian in twelve feet of water is like skiing on the bunny slope. Most of the freedivers who die from shallow water blackout were pushing the envelope and either carelessly, or recklessly over exerting themselves.

Also 100% untrue, the vast, vast majority of shallow water blackouts occur in less than 15 feet of water due to exactly the kind of energy exerted in taking a gorgonian or lobster in 12 feet of water. I dub thee the king of awful advice that will get people killed or landed in jail.

statistics like that get skewed though because 99.99% of all swimming goes on in those depths. I hear the same thing about shark attacks, I think it has more to do with more people spending more time in the shallows rather than in the depths- rather than sharks seeking food in the shallows etc.... Most drownings occur in the shallows too, but that is no reason to believe shallow water is more dangerous than deeper.

I see what you are getting at, safety first, but fear more than anything keeps people away from this very rewarding sport..... I am 30 pounds overweight, smoke 2-3 packs a day, and eat only fast food (yuck... I know....but I have no time to cook this year....), If I can dive 4 times a week, others can do the same too. Statistically speaking, the most dangerous thing about snorkeling is the drive to the spot.

The top things I would worry about with safety are:

Go with a local to find easy access, (you can break your ankle slipping on rocks, or slip and crack your head if you are diving a rocky shore)

Find a spot that is at least 10 feet deep over the rocks, (the shallows can be very dangerous if waves are breaking on the rocks and you are so shallow that you get bubble blinded and end up getting tossed by the wave onto a rock.

carry a good sharp knife (the ability to cut away tangled fishing gear from yourself safely is a must)

Never put your hand in a hole. An eel might decide not to give it back and let you go to the surface, but cuts and stitches are enough.

Use your dive flag, and make sure to tow it with you. The closer the better. Many, many stupid parents give their irresponsible children access to waverunners and boats. Since technically you can't shoot them for this in most states, keeping the flag as close as possible is your best bet, as they will like to speed by maybe 20 feet away. Their drunk parents are also something to watch out for. If you can do it, be as far away from the weekend "I have no business on the water" crowd. /venting..... :)

I free dive/snorkel every weekend in the summer. Los Angles, Ventura County, and Laguna. I have never had a blackout but its another good reason not to go alone. I would say 75% of the time I go alone and always feel safer with someone else. I am an athlete but the is something about swimming/diving the ocean that freaks me out. At the end of sep I saw a 4ft souvelnosed guitar fish and nearly pissed my self. But my mentality is stay alert stay alive....It is easy to get into trouble in the ocean. It like being at Disney Land and not knowing if the ride is going to eat you or not. Thats why I keep going back.

Anyone out there dive at night for spiny lobster?

Archived