SaltCritters.com

DIY A.G.E Tank

DaveFason

I know A.G.E tanks are amazing and VERY well built. They use a PVC bottom and I was wondering what they use on the for silicon or glue for connecting the two. I think this could be a fun project. I can easily get all the materials local to me.

Anyone have any input?

-Dave

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt they will tell you how they do it as that's the company's main selling point over other glass tanks. They definitely have an interest in being the only ones selling the process.

I know they wont tell me :)

I figure there are a ton of smart people out there. In the pictures it looks like its schedule 80 PVC board. Then silicon on the glass. I just want to see if anyone else know.

I have easy access to PVC boards, glass and a CNC machine. So if i can figure it out I think it would be a fun DIY project.

-Dave

I'm down with this. Try these guys. Just be careful, the glues tend to be very expensive and difficult to use properly. I also asked a buddy that had found the glue they use on the lotus elise, where the glue is stronger than the aluminum. Hopefully he'll have some suggestions.

http://www.permabond.com/

Looks like I found the adhesive. I found a few people on RC that have done this. Using DOW 795.

So I have ordered 1" Sch 80 Type1 PVC board for the bottom. I am going to rabbet route the edges off and then the glass will sit in there.

Should be a fun project!

-Dave

Dave this sounds fantastic. I'm in the process of rebuilding a 40B and per the suggestion of another forum member I am considering using a sheet of black schedule 80 PVC for the back panel. This would facilitate drilling (what I'm really afraid of), and would look cool as well IMO. What would you consider the viability of PVC used as a back pane? What thickness would you consider using (1/2 do the trick for a 36x16 panel?), and finally, do you know where I would look to source the stuff?

Finally, I really like your idea of rabbeting the edges to sit in the glass, this would also allow me to use the black plastic frame to support the front glass from bowing if I rabbet both sides.

I found it through a local plastic place here in town. I am getting it for 79.24 for 1" Type 1 Grey PVC Board.

With yours I think 1/2" would be fine but may want to try 3/4". Only because this is not the most common practice you know?

I will make sure to post pictures of it. I just ordered the PVC and the glass should be ready in a month or so.

-Dave

That Dow 795 looks good, but in the data sheet it mentions not being suitable for applications continually immersed in water. I'm also slightly concerned about it's toxicity after curing.

Dow 795 Datasheet

What size PVC sheet did you buy for $79.24?

Finally, Do you have any links to other threads relating to this? I think I might have one at home I can post here later tonight.

Here's the link from the guy who did it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1705683

Looks like 795 is what public aquariums use. Check the thread out. I think it should be ok.

I was able to get the 1" PVC for that price. I think its pretty fair! After all I will only have to use 3/8's glass now too! Like I said I got the quote back from AGE for the tank that I plan on building. They told me 1475!

-Dave

Looks like 795 is what public aquariums use. Check the thread out. I think it should be ok.

I was able to get the 1" PVC for that price. I think its pretty fair! After all I will only have to use 3/8's glass now too! Like I said I got the quote back from AGE for the tank that I plan on building. They told me 1475!

-Dave

Thanks for the link.

Sorry I should have specified better what I meant. What are the dimensions of the PVC piece you got in 1"? (i.e. 22x18 or whatever) For that matter, what are the dimensions of the tank you're going to build? Must be a decent size if A.G.E. wanted that much....

Also, that's good to know about the sealant!

Thanks for the link.

Sorry I should have specified better what I meant. What are the dimensions of the PVC piece you got in 1"? (i.e. 22x18 or whatever) For that matter, what are the dimensions of the tank you're going to build? Must be a decent size if A.G.E. wanted that much....

Also, that's good to know about the sealant!

hey guys. very intrested in this as well. the last time was looking into the silicone sheets and what not. noticed that they recomend using a primer on the plastic befor aplling the silicone. but havent found the info for it yet. sorry not much help.

as for the silicone saying not sutable for this or that. isn't it the same as the mccy d's cup having to say hot.

fishez4alivin

-Dave

Thats Mike from my local forum that I sent the BAR link to you....He says no leaks or salt creep since being set up...good luck

Fish - Yep I have been talking back and forth with him. Thanks again for the link!

bitts - Look for PVC Type 1 or Type 2 sheets

mckay - The piece is 31x23. I will be building a 30x22x18 rimless tank. I'll make sure to keep this thread updated and my personal tank thread.

-Dave

Fish - Yep I have been talking back and forth with him. Thanks again for the link!

bitts - Look for PVC Type 1 or Type 2 sheets

mckay - The piece is 31x23. I will be building a 30x22x18 rimless tank. I'll make sure to keep this thread updated and my personal tank thread.

-Dave

awesome, thank you.

exo overflow, here we come.

had been planing to use dows 999-a to biuld my exo. after seing several rimles biulds with it. have read the sheets for both the 795 & 999-a. besides the obvious, like cure time, is there something Im missing that makes one better than the other.

and I thought I'd finally gotten a handle on silicon.

I agree bitts... There's so much science involved regarding glues & coatings that it gets difficult to fully understand the particular uses of each. It's not like we're the only ones who have the need to stick PVC plastic to glass...

I agree bitts... There's so much science involved regarding glues & coatings that it gets difficult to fully understand the particular uses of each. It's not like we're the only ones who have the need to stick PVC plastic to glass...

had gone back n forth but recently leaning back to glass (knew it would stick) and the 999 cause of the tensel strenght but not having the overflow stick out ta china would be great. hello 795. maby :huh:

Has anyone consulted with Dow Corning about using this sealant? Or if there were any other sealants which would work better?

I'm still somewhat leery about using any sealant for a PVC back pane, but I really want to try it.

Can you buy PVC sheets in black does anyone know?

had the fact that the 795 will allow the plane of whatever bow more than many others. befor it becomes problemmatic, pointed out to me.

So your saying that someone told you the 795 does not work well?

Thats a total 180 from what I have heard.

-Dave

between 795 & 999-a, 795 allows for a more dynamic joint. was explaned that in some ways this is advatages. like the bowing of a ten gallon where if the joint is to redgid it may crack the glass.

OK, but if you use the correct size glass you should not have the bowing. Along with doing a rabbet route on the PVC it will only have more surface to grab on.

Are you planning on doing a hybrid tank also?

-Dave

Archived