Pod Your Reef

80g cubish glass tank

cbort

Just recieved a steal of a deal! Just picked the tank up for a whopping 20.00 Its basically a 80g cube. 36x30x17 made by oceanic.

pics016-1.jpg

Yes that is a 5 gallon bucket inside there.

pics017-1.jpg

Lighting i plan on using and times

2-actinic vho's on at 9am

2-10,000k vho's on at 11am

2 175w SE ushio 10k's on at 12noon

1 250w SE 20k on at 1pm

1250w SE 20K off at 4pm

2 175w SE ushios 10k's off at 6pm

2 10,000k vho's off at 7pm

2 actinic vho's off at 8pm

The vho's will be powered by a URI A4

The halides will be powered by a unknown dual 175 ballast.

Filtration and flow will be

Skimmer will be a AquaC EV-120 powered by a suggested mag-5

Return pump will be a Quiet-one 6000

CL pump will be an Iwaki RLT 1200gph pump

The hole in the back right side will be used as a Closed Loop drain. I will possibly be drilling this 4-5 more times on the back wall.

Livestock Plans

I have about 120lbs of live rock waiting and will have a dsb for substrate seeded by my 15g tall.

Rock work will be open for flow because of the large foot print and room for the fishies to swim

I have a pair of percs that will go in there from my 15g

Corals will consist of rics, zoos, lps, and few other softies.

Will soon have som pics of the finished stand

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is like my dream tank, but on a smaller scale. Make sure you put a RBTA in there for your clowns - appears that you will have plenty of room lateral space to keep it without worrying about it encroaching on coral. You could do something like the "Oregon Reef" on a smaller scale. I will definitely be following this thread...so many possibilities...

You have got to put some SPS in there....

Here is my inspiration for aquascaping. I layed the rock similar to this, but then changed the right side just a bit, to give some of the shy fish some privacy and more swim room.

80gaquascape-1.jpg

I want lots of movement in the tank, so not going to have too much sps if any at all, maybe a nice cap growing off one of the ledges on the side not sure yet.

I will use up some of the sand bed for brains, blastos, scollys, acans, and clams

Ya i got kinda lucky. Considering i have been looking to getting a custom 36x36 made, and was going to cost me around 700-800.00. I will just have to settle with it being 6 inches less deep.

Just got stand trimmed, and the door put on. Will post pics today during lunch hour and will begin on canopy tonite, as lights will be purchased tonite.

Here are some pics of the stand still in progress........

Also notice the stand is actually 2 pieces and front and rear. With the tank foot print being 36x30 to be able to get it in and out the doors, it had to be in two pieces.

pics088.jpg

pics090.jpg

pics089-1.jpg

pics091.jpg

Also the trim will actually be painted black also.

It really is 80g 36x30x17. I think that the stand i made is just so massive that it makes the tank look small.

Yeah I caculated it, which fave me like 79 point something. I just started an 80 of my own. 48" long though. I'm gonna follow along with yours.

Cool...I will have to check yours out. Also, You can't see the black molding on the bottom, i built the tank into the stand about 2inches, which will show about an inch of the sand bed. I can't stand some of those tanks that show 3 inches of sand in the front, which turns all different colors.

Cool...I will have to check yours out. Also, You can't see the black molding on the bottom, i built the tank into the stand about 2inches, which will show about an inch of the sand bed. I can't stand some of those tanks that show 3 inches of sand in the front, which turns all different colors.

I just started my tank. It is almost done cycling. I didn't notice that you covered the black molding, good call! My aquapod substrate turns colors so I know what you mean.

do you all think 9 inches is going to be ok for my halides to be off of the water. My canopy will only be about 12"s tall. I will be running 3 halides but the third will only be on for a few hours. To get that effect of the sun being center over head. Plus it will give me different pars which will be good for the corals

Where i live i don't pay for any utilities so electricity won't be an issue, and also the canopy will be open in the back with a fan or two. Will just have to watch my evaporation. Will have to probably invest in a nice ATO

I just made your inspiration photo my desktop photo. That is absolutely the most amazing look I have ever seen. I love the trench look and that one is big enough that it looks natural! Love your tank and can't wait to see what you do with it!!! :D

Thanks a lot for looking! Ya that is my laptops's Background image too! I love that picture! I have seen pics of the oregon reef, and this picture almost looks like a softie version of the oregon reef!

Goes to show not all softies have too be white/tan/brown. It is very colorful!

the stand comes to 39 inches tall

the stand tank and canopy come to 5 feet and 5 inches

Won't be too much more work on this tank till next week.....Next couple days I will be at the Hy-Vee sponsored Triathlon in Des Moines IA. For some of ya who don't know what thats all about, its the biggest and most important triathlon in the US. And the USA will be using this event for their qualifying event for the Olimpics! Bad thing is it will be a run bike run because downtown des moines is actually flooded and a levy is about to break, so they had to change the course and cannot use the lake to swim this year.

Any how.........let me know what ya think and any suggestions are welcome!!!!!

ok.....got in a hurry....transferred all livestock rock water sand and corals to this tank. Had 3 fish die in 3 days and corals didn't look good. So transferred it all....so far so good. Everything looks to be doing ok. Mostly will have to wait a few days to really tell.

Problem......see that stand pipe in the right hand corner? How can i make that thing take on more water? First off its a 1" bulkhead...It has threads on the inside. Once you get a 90 degree angle threaded piece it cuts the flow down BAD....My 1500gph pump becomes a trickle....

Would it help at all if i got fitting to eventually make a 1 1/4" durso

pics016-1.jpg

As of right now, i have a couple plastic tubes sucking water out of the main tank straight to the sump. As if i were doing a water change. It is helping a little.

Also has anyone ever done a hang on back CL ?? I have an external iwaki pump and figured if i ran the drain line into the tank over the back so it suck the water into the pump and then run the return lines back into the tank via PVC and locline

Will have pics up soon. I really like my aquascape it turned out nice.

1550gph... your going to be looking at 1.63inch drain size as a minimum... so if i were you i would drill a second 1.25inch drain and just use both.... try and hide them behind some type of over flow

use the reefcentral calculator to figure out your drain size and over flow sizes

ok decided what i am going to do....since drilling right now is no longer an option thanks to my impatience. I am going to just go with a dual overflow box 1200gph. Hopefully after head my QuietOne6000 will be somewhere around there. And i will use that already drilled hole as my closed loop hole for my Iwaki 1200gph pump and i will run all return lines over the top with PVC and loc line.

Ok here is my picture update. Sorry about the missing canopy and poor lighting. I am just using a 36" dual 96W PC set up. (which is not doing the job)

Lighting was shipped out today from member Sukie. Should be here sometime next week.

Also have decided to use the one hole that is drilled in the back for my CL still using a iwaki 1200gph pump. and will resort to a external overflow box.

Enough of me chatting here are the pics.

pics150.jpg

pics151.jpg

pics149.jpg

pics152.jpg

pics148.jpg

pics153.jpg

pics154.jpg

Nice tank!

Those dimensions are sweet, and I can't wait to see this thing packed with corals :P What are your plans for fish?

Nice tank!

Those dimensions are sweet, and I can't wait to see this thing packed with corals :P What are your plans for fish?

Thanks a lot! I can't wait to pack it with corals either! And hopefully a large green or preferrably a blue carpet nem. Original fish plan is lots of little fish...dart fish...gobies...a mystery wrasse...a purple tang....and a pair of picasso clowns

Damn thats a really nice tank. A lot of little fish would look awesome in it too. Aquascape looks amazing too. If i were you I would buy a bunch of ricordea and load up one of the rocks.

Archived