Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

zoa rant.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i'm forever seeing posts that say something to the effect of

"what kind of zoa's are these"

to be honest, it really drives me nuts. its not the post itself, but the greed thats sure to follow.

who cares what kind of zoa's they are. dont you see what your doing? everytime you ask, your driving up the price of the corals. what where once $1 per polyp green zoa's become $10 a polyp mean greens. etc etc.

from there countless peeps see the post and think to themselves, "hey i got those in my aquarium." sure they might have only cost $40, but now they have a cool name there worth $50 a fragg (or the going rate of set zoa with cool name)

and the nano craze isn't helping any. i mean now theres a good reason to sell just a couple of expensive cool named zoa's.

in my area, zoa's are sold by lfs/ local reefers for a $1 a polyp,$5-15 a frag $40-60 a coloney. doesnt matter if there pink with purple polka dots, green or brown. none of em have cool names, and none of em fetch rediculous dollar amounts. (although there just as nice/sometimes identical to the ones that do.)

THE NAME GAME HAS GOT TO STOP! :) i mean its just costin ya money. i am so thankful this silly little craze has not caught on way up here in the great white north. :)

i think the most expenzive zoas in my aquarium are $.50 a polyp, then again none of em had cool names. :)

do your part to remove greed from the equation, and call all your zoa's frank. :)

rant over. (one of those moods)

am i the only one that feels this way?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^I TOTALLY agree! :mellow:

Kinda gets on my nerves. I mean C'mon, a single polyp isnt worth $75+ for the "RARE" ones. Whos the one that makes them "RARE" in the first place?

Just my .02

-texx

4pdla1w.jpg

Seriously, it's getting out of hand and every damn color phase has a trendy name (and high sticker) attached to it...Some even have several names for the SAME DAMN THING (what used to be Eagle Eyes are now also wham'n watermelons and a host of other DOWNRIGHT RIDICULOUS names).

It's stupid. I think "purple deaths" are cool, but 50 friggin' dollars for ONE POLYP? Yeah, right, dude.

I don't mind the naming concept itself, neccesarily. It makes it easier to describe the color variations to others without having to take pics, load, etc.

I do mind the price gouging because of the name. I don't understand the big thing about PPE - definitely not $50/polyp worthy. $5-6/polyp for some really amazing colors, maybe. $1/polyp for the average zoas, sure. More than that and you're crazy.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

IMG_3575.jpg

thats a $40 coloney,(canadian) which has already been fragged 5 times (10 polyps each time sold for $5) no cool name, no high dollar value.

it one of my fav colonies (just like the colors) it never occured to me to name them.

its good to know i'm not the only one who's tired of the names.

be forwarned, if you ask for the name of your zoa's, i'll reply with the name frank. :):P:)

Can mine be Tim? There nice and pretty and pink :)

And I totally agree with the naming thing....I'm not sure what they are 'called' but the new wave zoos that are orange and whitish are at my LFS for $20-30 for a 40+ polyp rock :o

Does it mean I'm a sellout if I'm getting some PPEs from mvite on a trade ?

I AGREEEEEE!!!!

The most annoying thing ive heard at an lfs, " Yeah, *Designer Zoos* can demand a really high price"

This zoanthid / palythoa naming and rarity claims have to die out already,... I hate how single polyps of anything "nice" these days are ridiculously priced... And its always that ONE guy that actually agrees to pay for it, At that point theres a market for it and shops and online stores continue shootin their prices up continually higher.. then the chain reaction flies alllll over the place.. Its a bummer.. Its like a trend to own whats expensive or something.. And ricordia yuma these days ??? oooh my god i dont even wanna start with that....

I remember when really nice yumas and zoos hardly breached the 25-30 dollar range ..

if you look around the gta you will find some nice zoas for $40 a polyp or more... It's just you can get lucky with a nice colony for $40 since there are 100s availible every couple weeks. They all can't be green and pink.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

national fish breeders in gta. $40 a coral all the time. any coral $40 how can ya go wrong?

(its actually where i got those zoa's, and i live 2 hours away)

so ya have to visit a few times. to find a suitable replacement. why would anybody in the area pay $40 for one polyp? i mean they are probably come from the same distributor. lol

makes no sense to me. :)

I totally agree, Icy; have been thinking the same thing myself for quite some time.

BUT--I wanna know--what's with all the sexism in this thread?! Think I'll call mine Gertrude...or Penelope...Loretta...Anastasia...

--Diane

er1c_the_reefer
i dont mind if people ask what name they are but what i really cant stand is people asking about how much they are

yup, i agree. i think the name thing is just a way of identifying. instead of bright red speckly zoas (which describes a few different morphs) its just easy to call it something.

95% of what i sell is on ebay, starting at 0.99, with no reserve on anything, rare or not. the market drives the price. something too expensive? don't buy it. its not like corals are a necessity; you don't fill your car up with coral. i don't really care about the prices. thats why i hate naming prices and prefer trades; but then again, some people get irritated when you want to only do trades. go figure.

Juanhunglo69

I have sat and pondered the same thing Icy. Who names them to start with? Is it Jim Bob from east hell or is it a respected coral aquaculturer (is that a word?) The more I mess with this hobby the more I realize that we are all glorified gardeners. I went to a flower nursery a few months ago with the wife and that confirmed it. I mean we looked for certain colors asked about the lighting required for certain flowers and quickly learned which flowers could not handle full sunlight. I guess some of the advise got lost in translation. German to English. I mean Ya ya means yes to me in any language right?

Well, I guess I'm "That Guy" who buys the named corals because I like them.

Honestly, I think ya'll are fooling yourselves if you think that the prices of these corals have gone up so much because of its name. I would pay a ridiculous amount of money per polyp of "Nuclear Greens" whether they were named that or not. If you don't agree that they're worth that much, then thats fine, don't buy them, but please don't rag on me because I feel that they are.

Edit: I should add that I agree with you on these "What name do these zoanthids have?" threads. If you're out buying corals and you're knowingly buying a named zoanthid, fine, but coming to this forum and asking what they are after you've bought them just doesn't work.

IMG_3575.jpg

thats a $40 coloney,(canadian) which has already been fragged 5 times (10 polyps each time sold for $5) no cool name, no high dollar value.

it one of my fav colonies (just like the colors) it never occured to me to name them.

its good to know i'm not the only one who's tired of the names.

be forwarned, if you ask for the name of your zoa's, i'll reply with the name frank. :):P:)

I wish I could find a colony like that for 40$. Does it have a name? Are those dragon eyes?

I wish I could find a colony like that for 40$. Does it have a name? Are those dragon eyes?

Lmao... they're eagle eyes

Names are good, no matter how crazy of a name it is. It helps to give yourself a mental picture of what color formation a Zoanthid has when ever someone is talking about it.

For example, I say...Eagle Eye Zoanthid. Boom, you instantly had a mental picture of what that Zoanthid looks like. If I said..Green Skirt, Purple Rim Orange Outer Circle, Purple Inter Circle, Green Centered Zoanthid, you would have a harder time putting that mental picture together.

As for the price, I don't think it has anything to do with a cool name. The price is only high because obviously people are willing enough to pay such a high price for them, if they weren't, I guarantee you that the prices would be lowered until people would pay for them.

$0.02

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
Names are good, no matter how crazy of a name it is. It helps to give yourself a mental picture of what color formation a Zoanthid has when ever someone is talking about it.

For example, I say...Eagle Eye Zoanthid. Boom, you instantly had a mental picture of what that Zoanthid looks like. If I said..Green Skirt, Purple Rim Orange Outer Circle, Purple Inter Circle, Green Centered Zoanthid, you would have a harder time putting that mental picture together.

As for the price, I don't think it has anything to do with a cool name. The price is only high because obviously people are willing enough to pay such a high price for them, if they weren't, I guarantee you that the prices would be lowered until people would pay for them.

$0.02

red eagle eye

http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-Coral-Cherry-Eagl...1QQcmdZViewItem

rare eagle eyes

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Eagle-Eye-Zoanthi...8QQcmdZViewItem

red/green eagle eyes

http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-Coral-Red-GR-Eagl...1QQcmdZViewItem

i guess the guys on ebay missed the part about the cool names letting you know exactly the color morph your purchasing.

these were the first 3 eagle eyes i found, and none of them are the same colors. :)

red eagle eye

http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-Coral-Cherry-Eagl...1QQcmdZViewItem

rare eagle eyes

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Eagle-Eye-Zoanthi...8QQcmdZViewItem

red/green eagle eyes

http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-Coral-Red-GR-Eagl...1QQcmdZViewItem

i guess the guys on ebay missed the part about the cool names letting you know exactly the color morph your purchasing.

these were the first 3 eagle eyes i found, and none of them are the same colors. :)

Notice how not one of those auctions has a bid on them, and only the second link are actually eagle eyes, which are drastically overpriced.

Besides, eBay is a different beast, people there will deceive you in a heartbeat if they think it will net them a higher profit. Real reefer's don't use those same tactics when selling to other reefers.

Archived