Cultivated Reef

pictures of my uncured live rock..

phishy11

post-26647-1174146907_thumb.jpgpost-26647-1174146923_thumb.jpg

This is 15lbs of my caribbian live rock.

I got it at etropicals.com (drs. fosters and smith)

It was only $19.99 (on sale) plus shipping.

So the total price was $45.00

Im getting a lot of people saying i should get different live rock and return it..

I dont know..should i?

Is it that bad of live rock?

post-26647-1174146934_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Koral krazy (reefer 365)

phisy, why did you buy uncured live rock? There are so many different varieties at liveaquaria.com, not etropicals.

this is good

P.S. it would be easier to keep all of your questions in one post :)

Its not that we have to click on it, its the fact that we have to see your multiple, multiple threads on the same thing that seem to constantly be appearing...

phisy, why did you buy uncured live rock? There are so many different varieties at liveaquaria.com, not etropicals.

this is good

P.S. it would be easier to keep all of your questions in one post :)

well,its a little too late.....

Looks like base rock, they sell it at my LFS for a dollar per pound. You need to make a thread called Phishy's tank and stop making so many threads. That rock has no life on it. This hobby is very expensive. If you cut corners youll end up paying more money in the long run.

+1 ive read his posts they are all the same and people are trying to help but he just won't listen

Just wont listen?

First of all i am a she.

And i am paying attention to what people are saying.

you guys are telling me to return this rock wich it much more easily said then done.

And i post 5 post about live rock..is it that big of a deal?

If you dont want to read it DONT CLICK ON IT!

And if your comment it just going to be complaining about my post dont comment!

I have not ben dissrespectful to ANYONE in my post about live rock so why do you guys have to be??

go to your lfs buy some very high quality liverock i would say 3-5 lbs and try to seed that rock becuase it is almost the quality of base rock ... if you do read this i AM TRYING TO HELP ... buy very porous pieces with some coralline algae on them and some life and hopefully it will help you with the liverock you have now

go to your lfs buy some very high quality liverock i would say 3-5 lbs and try to seed that rock becuase it is almost the quality of base rock ... if you do read this i AM TRYING TO HELP ... buy very porous pieces with some coralline algae on them and some life and hopefully it will help you with the liverock you have now

THANK YOU.

When should i get the rock?

Should it be very soon?

Or does it not matter?

And should i just put it around the rock i have now?

Get the rock this weekend so you have a better chance of the base rock being seeded when your ready for coral. We are trying to help you. Get the nice live rock now and youll be happy with us. Place the rock however you want.

Get the rock this weekend so you have a better chance of the base rock being seeded when your ready for coral. We are trying to help you. Get the nice live rock now and youll be happy with us. Place the rock however you want.

..i cant get it this weekend..

are you sure its base rock?

...ahh....ive made a big mistake..

its looks like its curing .. it have some nice colors of red on it..

i dont know.

im an idiot.

first thing i would do is buy some epoxy or 'reef cement' from you lfs to put the rocks you have now in the position you want them ... then once that is ready go and buy pieces of liverock that you will like and that will fit with the rock formation that you make ... and then use the reef cement to place those pieces on as well .. once that is done i would wait at least a two months or until you see some growth on your other rock before you add anything else JMO ... and im not trying to hassle you but i hope that hang on filter isn't the only filter your have on the tank ... if it is i would at least add another one or a powerhead or two and with that HOB filter you could fill it with some liverock rubble you can probably get that at ure lfs for 1.99 per lb or smash up some of the rock you have now and stick it in there

first thing i would do is buy some epoxy or 'reef cement' from you lfs to put the rocks you have now in the position you want them ... then once that is ready go and buy pieces of liverock that you will like and that will fit with the rock formation that you make ... and then use the reef cement to place those pieces on as well .. once that is done i would wait at least a two months or until you see some growth on your other rock before you add anything else JMO ... and im not trying to hassle you but i hope that hang on filter isn't the only filter your have on the tank ... if it is i would at least add another one or a powerhead or two and with that HOB filter you could fill it with some liverock rubble you can probably get that at ure lfs for 1.99 per lb or smash up some of the rock you have now and stick it in there

i will be adding 5lbs of CURED live rock in 2 weeks.

I have a powerhead also.

I just wanna see how this rock will work out.

Does the reef cement stick them together?

PLus..should i be cleaning the live rock daily..

like dipping them in water to get accsess crud off them??

i will be adding 5lbs of CURED live rock in 2 weeks.

I have a powerhead also.

I just wanna see how this rock will work out.

Does the reef cement stick them together?

PLus..should i be cleaning the live rock daily..

like dipping them in water to get accsess crud off them??

it's not reef cement, just underwater epoxy putty. think of it as "glue" in putty form, it helps you make shapes out of your rock. don't worry about rock for the time being, what's done is done, just let the lot cure. do a water change of about 25-50% every week while it's curing. read the info here:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general...eral_pagesid=31

the reef cement will stick them together but with some force you can take them apart if you wanted to... but the best way to do it would be to take the rock out set it up the way you want to, then cement it and that way it will not fall in the tank causing a crack or killing anything ... you don't need to clean the liverock all of the die off (or crud) is what is going to help you cycle the tank and once it is cycled then you do a water change and siphon it off ... when you do your first water change you can take the powerhead and aim in at the rock to blow off any excess debris while you siphon .. thats what i did on my tank

EDIT: when i got mine it was called reef glue or cement or something lol

the reef cement will stick them together but with some force you can take them apart if you wanted to... but the best way to do it would be to take the rock out set it up the way you want to, then cement it and that way it will not fall in the tank causing a crack or killing anything ... you don't need to clean the liverock all of the die off (or crud) is what is going to help you cycle the tank and once it is cycled then you do a water change and siphon it off ... when you do your first water change you can take the powerhead and aim in at the rock to blow off any excess debris while you siphon .. thats what i did on my tank

EDIT: when i got mine it was called reef glue or cement or something lol

Okay..how much is reef glue?

Give me some ideas on how to shape it?

I am new to this as you know..

phishy,

i think what people are trying to tell you is that it's not so much the aesthetic look of this rock that is the problem (although that is one part of it), but it's the density of the rock. the reason LR can be used as filtration is because the bacteria live inside the rock. if the rock is too dense for the water to flow through, then you will not have that filtration aspect.

i know you want this tank set up and i know you can't wait to see your clowns in it, but, as has been said many times before, this hobby is expensive, and cutting corners will not work for the long run. yes, you got a great deal on some rock in terms of the price you paid. but, you got a bad deal in that that rock may not offer you the proper filtration you need, hence potentially causing harm to those clowns you want so much.

does this make sense?

and as for the whole sideline of too many threads, people are trying to help you, but it's hard to know what to answer when you don't know if it's been answered in another thread already. and the people here are very knowledgable...they have saved me time, money and heartache in the advice they give, and i am now just trying to return the favor and do the same for you. so here's what i suggest, take the advice someone gave about bringing it to your LFS and saying you bought too much and want store credit. then save your $$ until you can afford quality LR. yes, it will take longer that way, but this is one hobby that not only requires patience in terms of waiting to get fish, etc., but also patience in terms of saving enough money to do the job right, and for emergencies. if your pump or your heater goes unexpectedly, and you don't have a "reef funds" account to be able to run right out and replace it (at lfs prices) then you will just face heartache and more of a financial loss.

so, do with this post what you will, but i'd suggest sitting tight, researching and reading everything you can here (it's free!) saving up and then doing it right and doing it when you know exactly what you want. good luck.

well said .. but the liverock s not a total loss if she buys some higher quality stuff to seed it but buying better liverock would be the best option

Archived