Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rimless low iron tank build

supernip

Hi.

I decided to build a rimless nanotank and I thought I'd share because it was much easier than I expected and I was able to do it much cleaner than what aga/oceanic pushes out. I hope you guys enjoy it.

This is my first time building a tank and I pretty much just used my common sense. I was hesitant at first but after the silicon dried, I realized how strong the bond was. The rim really is pretty useless. This is my first build so not everything was perfect. I have glass for a larger tank, and that one will be perfect.

Material:

1/4in low iron glass

duct tape

chaulk gun

black silicon

transparent tape

rubbing alcohol

1 latex glove

string (too cheap for clamps, unnecessary for smaller tanks)

dim:

14x8.5x10 (same as the ADA tank)

edges were flat polished for extra sexiness

pictures

pic 1: Prep work, silicon

I wrapped my edges in tape, and strung the thing together. extra support was given by duct tape. I know it looks slopy but my inner edges are taped so after I finished siliconing/smoothing out, I just took it off. It produced a perfect straight edge.

2jg1d74.jpg

pic 2: leak test

I also siliconed the outside as the flat polish provided a perfect groove. The result is a bilayer of silicon and no leak was to be found. Not bad for a noob if I do say so myself.

*Please excuse the mess on my kitchen counter.

453uyxs.jpg

pic 3: edgework

Perfect straight line B) The prep work took a long while but it was well worth it. You do not want to spend the time cleaning up stray silicon, trust me. It is not fun.

40crafd.jpg

pic 4: finished product

This picture does the tank no justice. I will retake a proper one later on. The low iron glass is great.

2v93v2d.jpg

Stray silicon was cleaned up with a straight razor. Rubbing alcohol provided lubrication for the silicon to come off or else it just stubbornly adhered to the glass. Rubbing alcohol also took off the residue from the duct tape.I'd like to thank wetwebmedia for the idea of using duct tape.

And most importantly, I recommend nano-paul to you guys. He provided me with the glass. The cost of low iron was very close to that of regular glass and customer service was exceptional at its worst. I have been wanting a low iron glass tank for a long time and thanks to him, I was to have an affordable, superior quality one.

Here is my review of his bespoke service:

Everyone should have a tank from nano-paul

I will post pictures of this tank as I stock it in the upcoming weeks. Thanks for looking.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is actually going to be a freshwater planted tank. I have another tank that's going to be sps. I didn't really want to post pictures of that tank as it's my personal tank and I'd like to keep it private. However, I will post pictures of the build

coral_addict
Out of curiousity, what kind of silicone did you use?

Very nice. How much did the entire project cost you? You make the most beautiful tanks. You should open up your own business selling nanos or something rather then work at a Pet Shop.

I didn't really want to post pictures of that tank as it's my personal tank and I'd like to keep it private.

Personal tank? Come again? :huh: What are you keeping in that tank? Your feelings? Poetry about kitty cats and sad clowns? :haha:

I was going to say about the same thing, potus. :lol:

Great job on the build though, supernip. Beautiful tank.

Wow. Those silicone seams did turn out good.

Thanks, 2 hours of taping and prep work

Out of curiousity, what kind of silicone did you use?

perennator by aquamedic

Very nice. How much did the entire project cost you? You make the most beautiful tanks. You should open up your own business selling nanos or something rather then work at a Pet Shop.

glass: 75 (a bigger tank would have been about the same. I bought two so I know)

chaulk gun: 5

silicon: 12

tape+misc: 7

shipping:40 (for both tanks)

so the total is 152. But the shipping, silicon, tape, etc will be reused. A clloser estimate would have been about 90 max. No thanks on the lfs thing, my dad keeps trying to loan me money to open one. It's a hobby and I'd like to prevent it from becoming a chore

Personal tank? Come again? :huh: What are you keeping in that tank? Your feelings? Poetry about kitty cats and sad clowns? :haha:

Well I was going to stock it with my little pony action figures and carebears. IHU for making me confess. :angry:

Btw, black silicon was all I had so I had to use it. Screw aquaforest and their ass backwards pricing.

jbass: y2khai is my cousin. As is the rest of the world's asian population :lol:

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

sweet work supernip.

i've been toying with the idea a 5" deep 1'x1' low iron, overflowing nano.

and you just gave me the motivation to....

get er done! :)

again real nice work, seems a shame to fill it with fresh water. :P

so, how large do you think that you could go with that type of construction before the water volume would blow the seems out? Just curious, because I can definitely see how that would work for you smaller nanos, but I would be nervous as hell going 24+ gallons with no reinforcement.

how much to have you build me one :huh:

Sounds like a job for adin.

I spy taco bell hot sauce

sriracha is where it's at

so, how large do you think that you could go with that type of construction before the water volume would blow the seems out? Just curious, because I can definitely see how that would work for you smaller nanos, but I would be nervous as hell going 24+ gallons with no reinforcement.

Im not sure, japan, europe, pretty much the rest of the world gets up to rather large sizes without a bracing. Look at some of the amano tanks. I think there's even a 70 on plantedtank.net. I know I've seen massive rimless tanks before, I just can't pull the links right now.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-al...-diy-stand.html

really really nice build and tank.

i can't wait to see it set up and stocked, rimless can be incredible especially fully open with a pendant.

too scry to do myself though. i'd be worrying for the entire lifespan of the tank.

new pics?

Archived