Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rimless low iron tank build

supernip

I made a mock overflow to hide a powerhead today. ABS +weldon 4. I spilled some weldon on myself, I hope the small amount of exposure to methylene chloride won't be too hazardous. I will probably seal it up tomorrow and take a new pic. This build is almost complete.

I will start the reef build during spring break, in 2 weeks. Prep work up until that timeframe

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I made a mock overflow to hide a powerhead today. ABS +weldon 4. I spilled some weldon on myself, I hope the small amount of exposure to methylene chloride won't be too hazardous. I will probably seal it up tomorrow and take a new pic. This build is almost complete.

I will start the reef build during spring break, in 2 weeks. Prep work up until that timeframe

Wow. Looking forward to the new pics. Everything looks great so far!

Personal tank? Come again? :huh: What are you keeping in that tank? Your feelings? Poetry about kitty cats and sad clowns? :haha:

I hate you. You made coffee come outta my nose this morning. astrosmiley.gif

Very nice tank. Love the rimless look.

really really nice build and tank.

i can't wait to see it set up and stocked, rimless can be incredible especially fully open with a pendant.

too scry to do myself though. i'd be worrying for the entire lifespan of the tank.

new pics?

Biggest, baddest rimless tank I've seen. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...ght=aquascaping

Mind you, that ones professionally built though ;)

You've just opened up a whole new world of possibilities for nano tanks in my head. I never should have looked at this thread.

really really nice build and tank.

i can't wait to see it set up and stocked, rimless can be incredible especially fully open with a pendant.

too scry to do myself though. i'd be worrying for the entire lifespan of the tank.

new pics?

Thanks Neo.

Biggest, baddest rimless tank I've seen. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...ght=aquascaping

Mind you, that ones professionally built though ;)

You've just opened up a whole new world of possibilities for nano tanks in my head. I never should have looked at this thread.

Step up your game B)

Updates:

I [okay... my pops] built a mock overflow with some abs (2x 2.5x 9in) and used weldon 4 on it. It worked well; went for a matte finish so my plants have a good surface to grow on. The powerhead I'm using is an Odyssea 100, pushes about 130gph. I know there's a lot of crap about odyssea by this company is coming up in my books. I was going to get a minijet 606 but found this locally. I really like it.

In hindsight, I should have made the overflow a little bigger but everything fits perfectly. The nozzle is removable, and I might or might not use it.

It didn't leak while I was leak testing for 3 days. But when I lifted it, I saw water. I initially thought I had busted a seam but it turns out it was just water from my powerhead that I placed on the table. Thank goodness for the lipid bilayer style silicon job :D I resealed that area anyway just in case.

My picture does the tank no justice. The thicker glass, along with the lack of a rim and black silicon is beautiful. I might just fill it with water and keep it like that. I think the empty tank is more beautiful than a reef :happy:

Anyway, damn low iron glass is wonderful. If I do fill it, it's probably going to be a freshwater planted. I am really tempted to go saltwater planted though. Or, coldwater planted with skeleton shrimps B) We will see.

I will post pictures of the second build soon. I might also just fcuk ada altogether since I found a source for sheet metal work. And go LED for cheap.

More pics to come. Enjoy kiddies :ninja:

2emdb95.jpg

332nmok.jpg

3502csl.jpg

40c6h3s.jpg

2ew0e9w.jpg

2py3lgp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
mascencerro

I've been wanting to build a 12" cube, and wasn't sure of the bottom pane, if it should be cut to be on the 'bottom' or inside of the side panes. I've seen them built both ways, but which would be better?

in hindsight, bottom pane inside of side panes looks way better imo. But wides on top has its advantages; the biggest being easier fixes and earlier leak detections

mascencerro

ya.. if it leaked, you wouldn't need to check underneath it with the bottom on the 'bottom'

i'm still trying to figure out where I want to get the glass from though. I can get 1/4" cut for $50 locally, or I can cut my own 1/8" tempered at work.

isn't tempered bad for aquariums because it shatters into tons of pieces?

Tempering strengthens the glass. If your drilling alot of holes its always good to temper the pane that your drilling.

1/4th might be a better option, avoid any possible bowing. You should just get low iron glass from nano-paul :)

I think thats a great idea! :lol: Nip I will PM you in the morning. ;)

mascencerro
1/4th might be a better option, avoid any possible bowing. You should just get low iron glass from nano-paul :)

It will probably be a while before I can get it, how much does he charge?

isn't tempered bad for aquariums because it shatters into tons of pieces?

Thats another reason I'm debating using the tempered glass from work.

I think thats a great idea! :lol: Nip I will PM you in the morning. ;)

Take your time, theres no real rush.

It will probably be a while before I can get it, how much does he charge?

Prices were great. Lets just say I got two tanks shipped (after building materials and all) and extra touches done for less than I would have paid for a single, no frills tank built.

Plus customer service was great. He can't really shaft you since he's pretty active on the boards. Great feedback everywhere you know? There should be some more feedback on the glass soon, including ones from RC.

mascencerro

i see his posts all the time, he's got some nice stuff too. I've been reading this thread since you started it, but just now thought to ask. :)

I'll probably shoot him a PM one of these days when I get the money together to get the tank.

Basically I'm just wanting to replace my eclipse 6 because I'm sick of seeing the microfine scratches on the front.

ill post my reef build soon as well. Im waiting for a replacement piece. I think I can do a much better job the second time around

mascencerro

I may get enough glass to build a 1 gal of the tempered glass just to practice silicone-fu on. Better to get it in before the prime time than during.

I'll be watching for reef build for sure. :)

• 2 weeks later...
el_vulture619

Have you filled the tank and have it stocked yet? I just want to know how the tank was holding together.

I know that they have larger rimless tanks in Japan, but how many years have they been up?

I have some doubts about how long they will last. one leak and its all over!

I think they look great, just want to learn more. :)

• 3 months later...

I'm curious as to how you assembled this tank. From your pictures it looks like you taped and braced the glass together and then applied silicon. I thought silicon needs to be applied to the edges before placing the glass panes together?

Archived