Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Shallow 30g rimless cube. Battling green slime......

jinx

Everything is going great so far besides a piece of red planet that shed it's pigment overnight.. I've had problems with it before though. Everything else is looking good.

Snagged a mini colony of red planet to replace my little piece if it doesn't pull through. This one is much healthier than the one I originally got in a trade. Unfortunately it's on a stupid plastic plug and I don't want to stress it out by trying to cut it off.

12239977_1062661273746466_47690645162156

• Like 2

I have learned something about astrea snails as of late with my 30g build. I'm convinced that they like to come out of the water completely and bleach their shells to clean them. My overflow top allows them to do this as long as they want and still maintain moisture. They've been way more active and perky since this behavior has started. They stay out of the water for days until the shells are bleach white with no issues. Not only that, they are keeping the screen clean :) They do this on vertical surfaces often, but it's hard for them to stay like that for long periods before falling.

Good example of the astreas detoxing their shells of bacteria, coralline, vermetid worms, ect. One on the left is nearly ready to go back into the water, the one on the right is starting the same process. Most of them have already done this until bleached clean. Ignore the back wall.... I need to wipe it clean lol and redo my breather line better.

12316408_1068109176535009_48420169400675

• Like 7

Right now I'm having trouble keeping the system out of ULN. Thinking about dumping some skimmate back into the system until I get a better balance going. I even put the skimmer dryer and it's still not showing any N or P with the heavy feeding I've been doing. Some of my SPS are going to get very angry if it keeps up.

wow.such.chris

Dude this is such a sick build, I'm most definitely going to be "copying" a lot of this. Cool observation about the snails, I wonder if any other species do this, I would think so. Some of mine sure could go for a cleaning.

How much space ya go in the return section? Enough for a skimmer? I know, vague question. Sorry.

• Like 1

I've seen one of my nassarius up there, but not for long.. Most likely the nassarius is just being a pig, I find them trying to steal food from my corals all of the time. My dwarf ceriths come out on the glass for days, but not up there that I've seen yet. The ceriths don't have issues with falling like the astreas do on vertical surfaces. The sump has plenty of space for a fairly large skimmer section, but the return section, my dc12000 takes up most of the space. If you're referring to the overflow box, not much room at all.

• Like 1
wow.such.chris

Idk why I said return section in my last post. I meant in the drain section of your sump. Does your return section of the sump see the most fluctuation when water evaporates? I want to have a super sensitive top off so that it refills less volume more frequently and I think the way to do that is by using the return section to house the floats.

As for the frag tank, you should do a low residence time refugium. Load it up with macro algae, maybe nps? Just my $0.02

Everything is doing great so far after the move. Some of my Monti's have faded quite a bit, while some of my Acro's are doing crazy good. I have too much green stuff currently. Need some more yellow and blue. My camera is fail.. most of the color is correct.

12321547_1074328552579738_67860212718536

• Like 6

New addition, early xmas gift from my wife :lol: Thinking about splitting them up, but they are nearly encrusted together.. Not to mention they each have a acro crab on em.

11046798_1075430662469527_44295266789020

• Like 3