Pod Your Reef

Langer6's 2.5 Gallon Desktop Pico

Langer6

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got some Ammonia registering this weekend. Also picked up some more supplies from Walmart. Since this will be at work I had to get items that we all have at home. Anyone have any experience with gravity fed drip ATOs? I'm trying to prepare for when I'll be out for vacation or a holiday. Would like to try something DIY before buying an ATO. Thanks.

21607550751_b0c353d65f_c.jpg

20663485194_40f20af817_c.jpg

Hoping to finish the stand this week. Lined the inside with foil tape so now I just need to wire everything up. I also got one coat of high gloss black on it and it looks a lot better. In other news, there are only 2 LFSs in the Nashville area and one of them is super expensive. The cheaper one is pretty far away from me so I was thinking I needed to order most of my livestock online which I was worried about. But, I found out the LFS that is too far away does biweekly maintenance on a few tanks at my work (I work at a hospital). I contact him and he offered to deliver stuff to me! They have a great FB page so I can pick stuff out on there pretty easily. :happydance::happydance::happydance:

21275599502_1f83d5abdb_c.jpg

I got the lights mounted and wired last night. The pic makes the light appear lopsided but I think it will look okay over the tank. I'm not very good at electrical so I felt like Tom Hanks in Cast Away when it actually worked. Going to try to install the fan tonight.

21177228683_4928416242_c.jpg

21798314465_404683f91f_c.jpg

I HAVE MADE FIRE!!!

21784992886_0de7e4357f.jpg

I made a media basket this weekend using plexiglass from Lowes. The pics don't look too bad but it's a little sloppy for my liking. If it falls apart I'll probably breakdown and buy one from inTank but we'll see! It was fun putting it together at least. I also got the stand painted and mostly wired. I think it looks really nice and very happy I went with a gloss vs. flat finish.

Mocked up and ready to drill

21867233116_1acec0fda1_c.jpg

All pieces drilled and ready to bond

21918456925_1c3b2d6748_c.jpg

21928176561_d356b7f81a_c.jpg

21906458782_8f16bd2ba6_c.jpg

Almost finished stand

21270644374_156ab820cf_c.jpg

following! i dont know if you mentioned it about but are the wholes in the stand for heat dispersion

Thanks dude! Yeah the holes are to help with air flow thanks to some smart suggestions. Not sure how hot this thing will get yet so hopefully they will help.

The Styrofoam cooler my rock was cycling in sprung a leak so I transferred everything - which is just rock and water - to the actual tank. Since the stand and hood are pretty much done I just went ahead and set it up in my garage temporarily. I must say I'm happy with the way it looks. I'm noticing some condensation in the hood when the lights are off so I'll probably end up drilling some holes in the back to help with the airflow. My office will be ready late next week so I hope to bring the tank to work then. Finally!! omgomgomg

Don't mind the scape it will all be moved in a week.

22011580481_30a47372da_c.jpg

21989520522_242ab2878a_c.jpg

Lights On

21730616818_248317852b_c.jpg

21918456895_40b1db9e86_c.jpg

Media Basket in action

21297348543_f3534f4a7d_c.jpg

Looks really cool! Nice work!!

Thanks!

Everything looks good. Can't wait to see some coral in there. Following

Thanks for following I know me too.

Nice job on building the stand and basket. It looks very professional.

So whats the plan now?

Thanks man. Once I get it moved (end of next week) I'll get in touch with my fish guy to see the next time he's coming to campus. I'm thinking of having him bring me a crappy mushroom and/or zoa frag to start. I'll keep you guys posted for sure.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Someone has been seriously been bitten by a Micro-Reefs mind! :) Love your project and you talent is worth me coming in to buzz you many kudos!

Someone has been seriously been bitten my a Micro-Reefs mind! :) Love your project and you talent is worth me coming in to buzz you many kudos!

Wow thanks that means a lot! Your tanks are beautiful.

What is your tanks temperature? I would guess your going to have a hard time with temperature issues being sealed. Your diy skills are awesome though!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

What is your tanks temperature? I would guess your going to have a hard time with temperature issues being sealed. Your diy skills are awesome though!

This is how it starts, the fever then the beauty....

I'm not 100% sure yet because it's been sitting in my garage so it's fluctuating quite a bit. I'm bringing it into my office later this week so I'll monitor it there for a few days before adding anything. The back-up plan, which will probably happen, is to drill several holes through the back of the canopy and put a small desk fan behind the tank. I'm hoping this keeps things cool without ruining the look. Thanks I really enjoy the DIY aspect of this hobby. Also gives me an excuse to buy more tools!

This is how it starts, the fever then the beauty....

Haha hopefully more beauty than fever.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I'm not 100% sure yet because it's been sitting in my garage so it's fluctuating quite a bit. I'm bringing it into my office later this week so I'll monitor it there for a few days before adding anything. The back-up plan, which will probably happen, is to drill several holes through the back of the canopy and put a small desk fan behind the tank. I'm hoping this keeps things cool without ruining the look. Thanks I really enjoy the DIY aspect of this hobby. Also gives me an excuse to buy more tools!

Haha hopefully more beauty than fever.

I love to quote movies, and if you look at the new Batman vs Superman trailer, take a look at Ben Affleck, when it says that's how it starts first the fever etc....

So, having said that somehting inspired you to create your beauty, some spark some fever.... :)

I love to quote movies, and if you look at the new Batman vs Superman trailer, take a look at Ben Affleck, when it says that's how it starts first the fever etc....

So, having said that somehting inspired you to create your beauty, some spark some fever.... :)

Man that movie looks sweet. This has been such a good reboot compared to the 2006 attempt.

I cant wait to see it setup. You have me toying with ideas of building a hood for my pico.

Dont forget that hot air rises. I think if you can make an opening at the top you will setup a little convection current and draw in cool air through the bottom as the hot air rises out the top.

Maybe this is a crazy idea, but what if you made a little chimney that doubled as a feeding hole?

I second the idea on putting a vent in the top. Wouldn't water eventually rust your equipment since the water doesn't really have anywhere to go? Unless I'm missing a vent that's been mentioned here.

Archived