Top Shelf Aquatics

Langer6's 2.5 Gallon Desktop Pico

Langer6

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stomatella snail. Good guy.

Looks great. These stomatellas are my favorite clean up crew for picos. If you get a couple they reproduce by broadcast spawning.

Cool thank you both.

Nice! I'm excited to hear how you like that ATO, been thinking about it for a while.

So far so good. I couldn't get it to stop siphoning tank water back into the reservoir even with the siphon breaker properly installed so the output had to be rigged to sit outside the water. Not a big deal and probably something I'm doing wrong. It is sleek and quiet though. I'll have some more thoughts after a couple weeks.

Great little pico, nice diy work on the stand too

Did you ever install a fan to keep the temp down?

Thanks Yoshii! Yes I got a little cheap desk fan that sits behind the stand and blows directly on the lights. I had to cut a hole in the back to help the air flow but you don't notice it from the front. The fan used to only come on when the lights did but now that I have the ATO installed I leave it on all the time. Temp has been between 76.5-78.5 the past day or so and things seem to be happy.

How is your flowerpot coral doing? I got it not knowing how aggressive they could get. It has its own little corner but I have a small tank...

How is your flowerpot coral doing? I got it not knowing how aggressive they could get. It has its own little corner but I have a small tank...

I was curious as well!

And dandelion, it shouldn't be too aggressive, depending on which type. They don't have too much alelopathic defenses but their tentacles have a potent sting, just make sure nothing touches it.

Thanks! Yea I never saw any stinger tentacles (yet) but at one point it was getting too close to my candy cane that I had to move it.

I target feed it reefsnow 2-3x a week hopefully that'll keep it happy and alive.

I was curious as well!

And dandelion, it shouldn't be too aggressive, depending on which type. They don't have too much alelopathic defenses but their tentacles have a potent sting, just make sure nothing touches it.

Thanks! Yea I never saw any stinger tentacles (yet) but at one point it was getting too close to my candy cane that I had to move it.

I target feed it reefsnow 2-3x a week hopefully that'll keep it happy and alive.

No sweeper tentacles! Does it have a feeding response? The polyps should slowly retract and swell and you can see the mouth close.

I'm still working to perfect my technique. I use a DIY Julian's thing to target feed reef snow diluted with tank water. I usually turn off all flow, squirt the food gently at them, let it sit for 20-30 minutes before turning pumps on again. They retract somewhat slowly, and I see the tentacles closes up halfway on some heads. I guess it's a mixture of feeding and flight response. I let the water sit to hopefully let the retracted tentacles to come out and grab some food before they're washed away.

• 1 month later...

Archived