SaltCritters.com

DurocShark's 17 Gallon Planar Overflow

DurocShark

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting overflow, so one sides primary drain, then a emergency trickle and the final side is the return?

I've been trying to come up with ideas for an overflow setup for a shallow rimless which will be my planed upgrade if and when we move in the future.

I was considering this sort of overflow, never thought of using the return this way mind, but my hesitation is if a bulkhead fails, is loose or clogs up it would be a total pig to do anything about it.

Next step is ventilation in the stand. Because it's shitty MDF, I need to keep moisture levels as low as possible.

I'm mounting a 200mm computer case fan in one side to draw the air out, and a filtered hole in the other side.

Test fitting the black acrylic back panel.

jQd0WeC.jpg

This will serve to hide the overflow and shade it from the light to prevent algae growth.

Cut the notches and peeled off the paper. I thought I had some glue somewhere, but can't find it. So can't glue the cap on until I get some next week.

Unnecessary for getting it started though. :) I can fill it and roll...

I'm debating whether I care if there are partitions in the sump. Since I'm not doing a refugium, there's no reason I can think of that I would need them.

UNnNvLK.jpg

RUsNIcd.jpg

I personally think it's easier for an ATO to have a consistent level when it's in a smaller chamber, not waiting for the larger whole sump to drop and fill....if that makes sense. I guess it's not to say no one else does it either.

• 4 weeks later...

So yeah, I suck.

I left it running for a time to make sure the stand settled level with the weight on it, and to make sure everything worked correctly. I learned a couple things, then life hit me and I haven't touched it.

What I learned:

• Yep, need to reinforce the top. It's sagging in the middle. I thought as much but wanted to confirm. 3/4" particleboard isn't very rigid.
  • I definitely want partitions in my sump.
  • I can make the water slosh in the tank just by walking heavily near it.

That last one was the buzzkill for me. The floor upstairs has enough give that my fat butt walking by can make it slosh, and a jump will make it splash. I'm not sure how to address it, and so haven't touched it since. I'm thinking maybe some plywood under the stand would help, but I can't imagine it would help all that much.

Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Well, yesterday I finally got off my ass and pulled it apart to reinforce the top and install my DJ switch. I used a wall mount 1u rack from Monoprice to mount it. Looks clean. Still need to add some wire management though.

w0t5eNo.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Replaced the ball valve with a gate valve. MUCH better. Hit zero on nitrite and have 5ppm nitrate, so I did a water change and added the first occupant:

DWuaowp.jpg

Naked clown?

I guess? The common names always throw me off. Especially for "gourmet" fish.

Tonight I added a pair of the biggest nassarius snails I've ever seen, a firefish, and a tail spot blenny. That tail spot found my barnacles immediately and dove in. :)

Pics soon.

I guess? The common names always throw me off. Especially for "gourmet" fish.

Tonight I added a pair of the biggest nassarius snails I've ever seen, a firefish, and a tail spot blenny. That tail spot found my barnacles immediately and dove in. :)

Pics soon.

I <3 whatever it is haha, gonna look for one for my tank

Here's the new guys. Terrible cell phone pic, plus OMG what the hell is up with my glass?!?!

exkX8R9.jpg

The black background is out for now. I didn't cut the openings deep enough in that acrylic sheet, so it's in the garage waiting for me to get around to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Moved my urchin from the 70 to this tank in anticipation of the replacement of the 70 with an acrylic.

Got a shot of it on the glass. Freaky looking.

soiyC7g.jpg

I was too late in the treatment... The velvet took out my tailspot blenny. I think that's the fish that brought the velvet into my tank. clear.png That's what I get for not QTing the fish.

Some notes on the tank build itself. Based on some recommendations from others who have done herbie style overflows, I created a small leak between the regular overflow and the emergency overflow as part of the build. I wish I hadn't. While it's not loud by any means, the small trickle of water is noisy enough to keep me from sleeping. I had been reduced to turning the return pump off at night to sleep. Not terrible, since the powerhead keeps the water moving through the rock so bio filtration is still happening, and there's plenty of water movement to keep the water well oxygenated. However, it's not the solution I wanted and I found it's awfully easy to forget to turn it back on in the morning. Yeah a timer would work, but I'd rather have the filter working all the time.

Last night I tried capping the emergency overflow pipe instead. That made a nice overflow mess since the primary overflow was tuned for the volume of the overflow PLUS the emergency overflow leak. The leak is small enough that it took a while to overflow, and I wasn't in the room. Whoops! I re-tuned with the emergency capped, but now during the day when it's not capped the tank is really loud. But it's dead silent when it is capped. A great night's sleep was had with the super silent tank.

I won't design in a leak like that again, that's for sure. If I choose to have one in future builds, I'll make it controllable from outside the tank instead of inside the planar weir itself. Also, if the other fish succumb to the velvet (there's only two), I'll tear the tank apart and get rid of that leak. Another issue is the Target "stand" is very susceptible to water. The craptacular particle board it's made from bubbled in a couple places. So if I tear the tank down, I'll be building a proper stand instead of this thing.

The planar overflow design works perfectly and I love it. I just made a bad choice on building in a leak.

Archived