Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LED build

Halo_003

Just a slight update...

I put together my driver board last night, no real issues thankfully. I didn't even burn myself, and it was only about the third time I've soldered in my life. My little box from Dave arrived as well.

One question, the Meanwell HLG did not come with an AC adapter attached, any thoughts on what to do for that exactly? Just buy one and attach it I know but does it matter what kind I use?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Right that's what I meant actually. Other than 3 prongs anything to watch out for with them?

Nope, they're pretty much all made the same, thankfully, just some the wire colors are different, but the link above tells the difference :)

Nope, they're pretty much all made the same, thankfully, just some the wire colors are different, but the link above tells the difference :)

Thought so, thank you sir!

Oh yeah, soldered for about the third time in my life the other day. I think it went well, and I didn't even burn myself.

D13A333F-B107-41B8-A811-188C4D426282_zps

(Don't worry the LDDs are in the sockets, not directly soldered)

D77E651E-CFC2-4F30-836D-FA8B26D05FE4_zps

Sexy! Can't wait to see this rig put together! The Mini won't fit in the fixture correct? Do you have the Fixture yet?

I think the BF mini would be the LDD drivers will not. And yes I do, have a teaser.

C8C1701E-8B49-41DF-B3DA-74E16EF5CB31_zps

jedimasterben

Too bad that O2 doesn't have any of his A6211 boards right now, they are really flat since the driver is just a small IC, then you could keep it all internal :)

Too bad that O2 doesn't have any of his A6211 boards right now, they are really flat since the driver is just a small IC, then you could keep it all internal :)

I don't think the actually LDDs would fit under the splash shield though. If I could do it that way I so would lol.

jedimasterben

I don't think the actually LDDs would fit under the splash shield though. If I could do it that way I so would lol.

No, not LDD, the A6211 driver. ;)

No, not LDD, the A6211 driver. ;)

Where can I buy this and how much? ?

It would be absolutely nuts if I could squeeze everything but the Meanwell PSU in the ASIS.

jedimasterben

Where can I buy this and how much?

It would be absolutely nuts if I could squeeze everything but the Meanwell PSU in the ASIS.

He just made one that is basically the same as the LDD/BF mini board, but I think it still uses an SCW to convert the main voltage to 12v for the fan, Mini, and Arduino, so it's back to being as tall as LDD lol. But if he could use a smaller circuit to do the drop down, it would be perfect!

I was just on the fence of going DIY LED route talking to Marc, I think you have my mind made up. I already have some of the parts on hand as well, PSU, 4UP board, 4x 600H LDDs. Can't wait to see your finished build.

He just made one that is basically the same as the LDD/BF mini board, but I think it still uses an SCW to convert the main voltage to 12v for the fan, Mini, and Arduino, so it's back to being as tall as LDD lol. But if he could use a smaller circuit to do the drop down, it would be perfect!

Not sure I need an arduino, but I will have to send him a PM, this info is a game changer for my plans.

C15BB7C2-99B8-4024-9139-A42813C77A6F_zps

B37CACB4-7A44-4B1E-A020-B0304EB72E13_zps

I thought it prudent to have room to upgrade, this heatsink has locations prepped for up to 5 arrays, for a future upgrade perhaps, for now it will just be 3 arrays.

O2 PMed back and said that the A6211 driver board is about 3/8" thickness if the ethernet ports and SCWs are removed, so that is a possibility right now. :)

• 1 month later...

Wow, been getting destroyed by school lately. Updates:

Just ordered 10ft 12 strand wire from mcmaster, with 50' of 26GA wire for in the fixture, and machine screws to attach the LEDs to the heatsink. Everything is all here except for a wall plug for the Meanwell, not sure where to find a decent one yet, but also haven't really looked yet.

This will get finished one day. Hopefully soon. next time I'm just going to send the heatsink to Dave and just be like "I don't care what it costs just build it!". :)

• 3 weeks later...

So when we look at wiring the BF Mini to the Coralux 4 up board...

BF outputs:

1: Gnd

2: Power in 3.3-17V (optional)

3: Gnd

4: Channel 1 PWM

5: Gnd

6: Channel 2 PWM

7: Gnd

8: Channel 3 PWM

9: Gnd

10: Channel 4 PWM

11: Gnd

12: Channel 5 PWM

13: Gnd

14: Channel 6 PWM

Now, for the Coralux board inputs we have:

PWM inputs

[1 2 3 4 G G V V]

So does this mean that from the BF mini I only need to connect like so:

post-83928-0-08852900-1447373041_thumb.jpg

Or am I totally off?

The board markings really helps make it easy. I only ever used the second V when redoing my mini in four channel control as a means of powering the fan without cramming the leads in together and risking one or both popping out of the terminal.

I have another question. I have the 12 wire multicable to supply the 4 channels power and the fan power, What would be the best way to connect the wires from that to the wires in the fixture? To be honest I was thinking a custom PCB would be the way to go. Basically just have a POWER IN side and a POWER OUT side with connections for 6 channels (future proofing) and fan power. Is there an easier way to do that than ordering a custom PCB though?

Archived