Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kessil vs Maxspect

Jorgieee

Come on guys, The OP wants our feelings about Kessil VS Maxspect. Why all the venom and arguing about NanoBox VS all the rest. He didn't ask that. I also feel that NanoBox is the best but as to his question.

Between the 2, i would go with Maxspect. I like the better control and IMO the color rendering is very good. With the Kessil, you get a narrower beam with more shadowing. All of this is just my opinion.

The new A360 has a wider beam than the old version. Of course if we are going by quality of light in terms of color I find the Kessil to be considerably better than the razor. Just because the maxspect has a zillion channels doesn't make it a better light. I just can't take a light with 8K whites seriously.

Thanks !! you seem to be one of the few that understands what I was asking apparently i wasn't clear enough to some people !

I already left you with my opinion between the two lights further up.

If you don't like nanobox that's fine but it's silly get angry when people point it out as an option.

The new A360 has a wider beam than the old version. Of course if we are going by quality of light in terms of color I find the Kessil to be considerably better than the razor. Just because the maxspect has a zillion channels doesn't make it a better light. I just can't take a light with 8K whites seriously.

Pretty sure that the razor still only has two channels. The new one just has a ridiculous number of different led types for the same color. Seriously why are there three different royal blues?

I already left you with my opinion between the two lights further up.

If you don't like nanobox that's fine but it's silly get angry when people point it out as an option.

Pretty sure that the razor still only has two channels. The new one just has a ridiculous number of different led types for the same color. Seriously why are there three different royal blues?

I am not angry at all it's silly that you guys were even mentioning nanobox to me when I clearly asked a simple question about KESSIL VS MAXSPECT lights if i was considering the nanobox I would have asked for opinions on that light just throwing it out there

"I just can't take a light with 8K whites seriously"

REALLY. Does this mean you don't take the Radion XR15 Pro and the AI Hydra seriously just because they use

CREE XP-G2 Cool wht LEDs putting out up to 8300k.

I am not angry at all it's silly that you guys were even mentioning nanobox to me when I clearly asked a simple question about KESSIL VS MAXSPECT lights if i was considering the nanobox I would have asked for opinions on that light just throwing it out there no biggie

Actually if you read my posts carefully you'll notice I didn't mention nanobox so much as respond to your comment regarding its quality being less than that of kessils and r420rs.

The bit where you said you doubt the nanobox has leds that are up to quality with the maxpect r420r and the kessil did get a chuckle from me though. ;)

• Like 1

Determining LED quality is a matter of reading data sheets.

I think though from the way this thread has journeyed you'll enjoy the kessil more than the r420r.

"I just can't take a light with 8K whites seriously"

REALLY. Does this mean you don't take the Radion XR15 Pro and the AI Hydra seriously just because they use

CREE XP-G2 Cool wht LEDs putting out up to 8300k.

No they don't. The radion v2 might have but the v3 comes with ~6000k. Same for the hydra with xp-g2 binning at ~6500k.

The xr15 and xr30pro actually use xp-g2 diodes. Don't have any reference for color temperature though. Cree has very broad ranges for their data sheets.

The xr15 and xr30pro actually use xp-g2 diodes. Don't have any reference for color temperature though. Cree has very broad ranges for their data sheets.

There was a comparison between the the g2 and g3 radion at reef central. I will try to find it but the whites on the g3 look a lot more yellow than the g2.

Cencalfishguy56

I have the kessil a160we love the light also love daves light, man to be honest you can't go wrong with a kessil from what I've seen maspect has proven itself but the kessil shimmer is a sell point I love the shimmer

• Like 3

Radion Pro G3

xr30w%20pro.jpg

Radion Pro G2

radion%20pro.jpg

For comparison

GHL Mitras spectral chart with Cree cool white same as radion

ghl%20mitras%20spectrum.jpg

Radion Pro spectral chart

radion%20pro%20spectrum.jpg

Notice how the 6500K spectral output in the GHL matches the Radion perfectly for the cool white as they are the same LED.

Hey friend,

I don't know anything about the Maxpect, I may have even spelled it wrong, but I do have a Kessil 360WE over my 16gal IM Nuvo. I love that light! I use their Spectral Controller too. They work great together. I went from MH lights to my Kessil. Best thing I ever did. If you have any questions I can help with, PM me.

Thunderstruck34

I was going going between the kessil, ai prime, and maxspect razor as well. In the end I went with the kessil a360we and I'm glad I did. nothing beats that shimmer, and it's a silent, small, and awesome looking light. It looks damn good over my tank and I love the color it puts out.

• Like 1

I'm fairly sure Dave does or would supply you the specific bin numbers of the diodes he uses luxeon diodes he uses. And if you do just a little research you'll see that the Luxeon top bin diodes are among some of the best available in terms of flux and efficiency. The maxspect doesn't provide the bin information on their crees and it's a reasonable assumption to guess they're not using the top bins just based on their price point. Just speculation on my part. That's my reason for arguing that the maxspect does not in fact have better diodes than the nanobox.

I totally understand you're not into them though. Didn't work out for you. Want to try something different. I'd still definitely go with two kessil a360we units over a maxspect any day of the week. I personally just like how they look a lot more. Especially when run a little heavier on the white side

Hello,

I have owned a kessil and switched it back to T5s. The only reason was because of the hard shadowing. I only had one on my tank and it looked beautiful with the shimmer. However I think the single point source did it in for me. My SPS did not look good from the side, only from the top. I think kessils are great but you will need 2 for any tank to avoid the shadowing effect. HOpe this helps with your decision. I had the 360WE version, and the it was not enought to avoid the shading effect on sps. It seems to be 2 of these are the way to go, and most people with 2 or more kessils are happy with them

• Like 2
CatfishSoupFTW

I own the a160we over an 18x18x16 tank. There was something about the kessil which I wish I had, and so I bought a xr15 pro for that added control.... after dabbling with that, i was getting some really noticeable color banding which I just couldnt fix no matter what i did. comparing it directly to the Kessil, they basically gave me the same visual colors. from that 10K or so mark, all the way to actinic. The deeper blues were way better in the Kessil, and the shimmer was way more natural. The radion shimmer was ugly and didnt look natural . I returned the radion, and soon realized how much nicer the kessil was - at least to me. I even got the opinion of a few friends, and not a single one hesitated on the kessil.

After all that, I realized that all i really need is an on/off and ramping and thats it. all that other color mixing nonsense, gave me the same results but of lesser quality.

I havent tested a maxspect but I hear a lot of mix reviews on them. But after testing a 300 dollar light, with such a high end light like the radion, personally the kessil is really nice. The shimmer you can control with surface agitation which adds a lot of movement to the tank, and overall quality of light is nice.

Just note though, that in the deeper blue spectrums it visibly looks darker, but the power is there. I will agree though, the shadowing on the kessil is a bit harsh, very sunlighty. Maybe two 160we would be a nice combo. daisy chain them and use either the spectral conrtoller, or the bluefish ( which cost more) which adds in a wifi component which you may only use here and there.

If I had it any other way, maybe t5ho with kessil. The radion kessil combos I have seen as well look nice, but price points and set up would be a bit much.

on a quick note, yes the kessil is rated for 18x18 and 24x24, but it was actually kind of hard to set up my light to not pass that 18x18 mark. its kind of low to the water line. maybe 5 inches or so. I dunno about PAR readings if you raise it a bit up, but just know that you do have some leeway in that.

I would say go for the Kessil 360w. I have the 160w over my 14 gallon tank and I simply love it. The shimmer is incredible and my anemones and LPS look great. Now, I don't own a maxspect but a couple of friends have them over their tanks and I don't like them at all. The disco ball effect is awful and it just doesn't look good. I think the kessil will give you better results and a more sleek look.

I believe that shadowing will not be an issue because I think that you are planning on getting 2 for your system. It should be plenty.

reefernanoman

I don't own a Kessil or a Maxspect, but I have seen them both in action personally and I have to say that the Kessil shimmer is beautiful! I would prefer to have a Kessil over a tank IMHO. Good luck!

• Like 1

Hey friend,

I don't know anything about the Maxpect, I may have even spelled it wrong, but I do have a Kessil 360WE over my 16gal IM Nuvo. I love that light! I use their Spectral Controller too. They work great together. I went from MH lights to my Kessil. Best thing I ever did. If you have any questions I can help with, PM me.

Thanks I appreciate it

I want to add something posted near the beginning that I respectfully disagree with and might be applicable.

Right now no LED, even the Kessil and the point source light, replicate a metal halide lamp. MH required a good bulb and quality reflector. If you're a coral looking up at the light you see 5 MH bulbs, the bulb and at least 4 reflections of the bulb. THis is key to proper coverage.

Depending on what you want to grow you may need to be concerned about point source vs a wider spread. SPS sticks will need more than one point source to look good. For this reason alone I would go with the Razors but having had an all Razor tank I still don't think this is the best choice unless you supplemented in the front and back (I used BML strip lights).

Think about actors on a stage and a single row of lights above their head. It's not going to look very well unless you're going for a horror show with sharp shadows on the faces. :)

If you're all LPS/softie and no sticks then I don't think this applies AND there are exceptions and things you can do to minimize issues. My green slimer looks awesome under Razors in my 29 gallon, a really brilliant green. It's bright under T5's but not the same knock your socks off green. LPS and softies look really good as well. I'm not a big fan of the purplish color but your eye quickly gets used to it unless theres something to compare it too.

So if strictly limited to Razors or Kessils I would say Razors get my vote, but I would supplement as well.

Edited by markalot
2 years later corrected their to there :)
  • Like 3
Paleoreef103

I want to add something posted near the beginning that I respectfully disagree with and might be applicable.

Right now no LED, even the Kessil and the point source light, replicate a metal halide lamp. MH required a good bulb and quality reflector. If you're a coral looking up at the light you see 5 MH bulbs, the bulb and at least 4 reflections of the bulb. THis is key to proper coverage.

Depending on what you want to grow you may need to be concerned about point source vs a wider spread. SPS sticks will need more than one point source to look good. For this reason alone I would go with the Razors but having had an all Razor tank I still don't think this is the best choice unless you supplemented in the front and back (I used BML strip lights).

Think about actors on a stage and a single row of lights above their head. It's not going to look very well unless you're going for a horror show with sharp shadows on the faces. :)

If you're all LPS/softie and no sticks then I don't think this applies AND their are exceptions and things you can do to minimize issues. My green slimer looks awesome under Razors in my 29 gallon, a really brilliant green. It's bright under T5's but not the same knock your socks off green. LPS and softies look really good as well. I'm not a big fan of the purplish color but your eye quickly gets used to it unless their's something to compare it too.

So if strictly limited to Razors or Kessils I would say Razors get my vote, but I would supplement as well.

Agreed. When I talk about the Kessils having a similar quality to halides, I'm not talking about the reflectors at all. I'm talking about the single point source. Right now there really isn't an LED product on the market that has a good reflector which means that your corals are being illuminated from a single point, not the single point + multiple reflections where the angle the light is hitting the coral is different for each source. This results in the coral often self-shading. There is a reason why many people in the know are switching to multiple rows of LEDs (e.g. Kat and Ben's nanobox ATI retros, my light kind of fits the bill, a razor with a pair of BML strip lights).