Top Shelf Aquatics

jedimasterben's planted tank light build

jedimasterben

Hey JediMasterCriminalPlantKeeper!

Just popped in to say hello! Got any updates on that cute litle tank of yours?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Hey JediMasterCriminalPlantKeeper!

Just popped in to say hello! Got any updates on that cute litle tank of yours?

:lol:

Nice to see you over here too :)

If I remember, I'll get some shots of the tank tonight. That hygrophila has REALLY grown - no wonder it's prohibited! lol

Lookin' good! It's hard to tell from the picture, has your Starogyne started producing any runners on the substrate yet? I've got a ton of it in my tank, and it seems to act a bit fickle for me. It's either spreading horizontally like I want, or growing vertically, like 18" tall if I let it. I don't think my lighting levels have anything to do with it? 300 PAR at the sand should be plenty- LOL.

jedimasterben

This thing came together awesome Ben. [tips hat] Good work sir.

Thanks! :)

Lookin' good! It's hard to tell from the picture, has your Starogyne started producing any runners on the substrate yet? I've got a ton of it in my tank, and it seems to act a bit fickle for me. It's either spreading horizontally like I want, or growing vertically, like 18" tall if I let it. I don't think my lighting levels have anything to do with it? 300 PAR at the sand should be plenty- LOL.

I just had to go check lol. Nah, they aren't sending any runners, and they're only just starting to send roots out from the stem that is above the surface. I guess that means they are looking for ferts and I'll have to dose more. MANNNNNN.

Just think, I'm using all 350mA drivers, with the whites being in parallel getting 175mA, and I'm running them at 50% of that on the Bluefish for 50 peak PAR on the substrate :)

Screenshot_2015-06-09-18-41-03.png

Unfortunately I'm still using a MakersDriver 5up and the 0-10v connector, so minimum dimming is 8% and lightning is just a single flash since it has such poor response time lol. Now that I'm just getting to my Sunpower upgrade and using your new boards I'll switch over to one of the old boards. Still a full BF since I don't have another Mini though.

Also, you'd be proud of me, I did some reflow and only destroyed one board so far :D

20150607_111756.jpg

20150607_111829.jpg

"Only destroyed one so far" LOL. What method of soldering did you use? Did you re-heat the entire PcB or use hot air with a nozzle sized for individual leds?

jedimasterben

"Only destroyed one so far" LOL. What method of soldering did you use? Did you re-heat the entire PcB or use hot air with a nozzle sized for individual leds?

Whole board. Put am aluminum plate onto a strove burner and turned up halfway. Takes about 30 seconds for the solder to melt.

HarryPotter

Whole board. Put am aluminum plate onto a strove burner and turned up halfway. Takes about 30 seconds for the solder to melt.

Doesn't damage the LEDs? Cool! I may apply that to my PDBs in the future :)

jedimasterben

Doesn't damage the LEDs? Cool! I may apply that to my PDBs in the future :)

How do you think the LEDs get onto the boards :)

What is a PDB?

HarryPotter

How do you think the LEDs get onto the boards :)

What is a PDB?

Haha true!

Multicopter lingo- PDB is power distribution board, on which we solder the flight battery leads and the (many) ESCs (electronic speed controllers).

Here's my small quad's board

IMG_9325_zpsijc2n2su.jpg

jedimasterben

Haha true!

Multicopter lingo- PDB is power distribution board, on which we solder the flight battery leads and the (many) ESCs (electronic speed controllers).

Here's my small quad's board

IMG_9325_zpsijc2n2su.jpg

Gotcha now. This type of soldering (reflow) isn't the same as what you need to attach the individual boards to the larger one, it's only useful for SMT stuff like the resistors and ICs on the boards :)

jedimasterben

Next thing we know Ben will be prototyping his own boards. :P

3535 chips and Rebels are easy - the Luxeon T... not so much. lol

• 1 month later...
jedimasterben

FTS 7/13/2015

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

New betta from yoshii! Super awesome! I know the glass is super dirty :lol:

IMG_2491.jpg

The dust looking bits are from the golden pearls I just fed to the tank.

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

• 1 month later...
jedimasterben

are you running co2 in this tank?

how are you controlling the algea?

No CO2, no algae. You have to balance the amount of light , CO2, and nutrients, so if two of them are low, the other must be low, as well. Nutrients and CO2 are low, so light is kept at 50 PAR peak for four hours daily, the other eight hours are spent ramping up and down to that level.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived