Top Shelf Aquatics

jedimasterben's planted tank light build

jedimasterben

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Takes wayyy too much effort to keep trimming the staurogyne to keep it short like that :P

LOL - I "trimmed" mine out a couple of months ago........ roots and all, straight up filled a 30 gallon trash bag with it. It's no trouble to maintain now.... it's all gone!

LOL - I "trimmed" mine out a couple of months ago........ roots and all, straight up filled a 30 gallon trash bag with it. It's no trouble to maintain now.... it's all gone!

That's insane! You could have sold it and made bank!

Excel can kill BBA? Does it save any leaves BBA's attached to as well? Curious because I don't want to trim half my Anubias >.>;;;;

Excel can kill BBA? Does it save any leaves BBA's attached to as well? Curious because I don't want to trim half my Anubias >.>;;;;

I've used "the one two punch" to wipe out BBA. IIRC you dose your tank with Hydrogen peroxide ( can't remember the oz to gallon ratio) for a set time, perform a large water change, and then dose the tank with excel. BBA turns red....dies....and disappears from the tank in just a few days. You don't have to trim anything. Take a look for the thread in the Algae forum over at planted tank.net

Yep, I just opened my giant jug of metricide for dosing, since its concentrated I'm only dosing 1ml to the tank at a time for now, don't want to melt my moss I have in there!

• 4 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Nice tank Ben! I was looking into starting a planted tank. Any good references you could point me to?

plantedtank.net is a huge forum with tons of info. Definitely poke around there and check out some of their stickies :)

• 3 months later...
jedimasterben

So I am upgrading my planted tank from a low-tech 13g rimless bowfront to a high tech 24g rimless cube. Therefore, I will also be upgrading the light and integrating more features to be controlled via Bluefish (such as CO2 solenoid control, liquid dosing pump control).

Old light:

• 2x Bridgelux Vero 10 3000K 97CRI BXRC-30H1000-B-03
  • 2x Bridgelux V10 5000K 90CRI BXRE-50G1000-B-04
  • 2x LEDgroupbuy 405nm violet
  • 2x Rebel ES royal blue
  • 2x Rebel blue
  • 2x Rebel cyan
  • 4x Rebel ES lime

All run on 350mA LDD and 5w SCW on a [classified] driver board and controlled by BF mini. Heatsink is a Nanocustoms Unibody 54. The Bridgelux chips were run in parallel for an effective current of 175mA.

New light:

• 2x Bridgelux Decor Ultra Vero 10 2700K 97CRI (BXRC-27H1000-B-23)
  • 2x Bridgelux Decor Specialty Vero 18 5600K 90CRI (BXRC-56G4000-F-24)
  • 2x SemiLEDs 420nm violet
  • 2x Rebel ES royal blue
  • 2x Rebel blue
  • 2x Rebel cyan
  • 4x Rebel ES lime

Run on 1A, 700mA, and 350mA LDD with 5w SCW for the fan on a Nano Box Reef driver board and enclosure. Heatsink is a Nanocustoms Unibody 108, powdercoated to Pearl White. The Vero 18 will be run on a 1A LDD in parallel for an effective 500mA, the Vero 10 at 700mA in parallel for an effective 350mA, the violet/royal blue/blue at 700mA, and lime/cyan at 350mA.

So I am upgrading my planted tank from a low-tech 13g rimless bowfront to a high tech 24g rimless cube. Therefore, I will also be upgrading the light and integrating more features to be controlled via Bluefish (such as CO2 solenoid control, liquid dosing pump control).

Old light:

• 2x Bridgelux Vero 10 3000K 97CRI BXRC-30H1000-B-03
  • 2x Bridgelux V10 5000K 90CRI BXRE-50G1000-B-04
  • 2x LEDgroupbuy 405nm violet
  • 2x Rebel ES royal blue
  • 2x Rebel blue
  • 2x Rebel cyan
  • 4x Rebel ES lime

All run on 350mA LDD and 5w SCW on a [classified] driver board and controlled by BF mini. Heatsink is a Nanocustoms Unibody 54. The Bridgelux chips were run in parallel for an effective current of 175mA.

New light:

• 2x Bridgelux Decor Ultra Vero 10 2700K 97CRI (BXRC-27H1000-B-23)
  • 2x Bridgelux Decor Specialty Vero 18 5600K 90CRI (BXRC-56G4000-F-24)
  • 2x SemiLEDs 420nm violet
  • 2x Rebel ES royal blue
  • 2x Rebel blue
  • 2x Rebel cyan
  • 4x Rebel ES lime

Run on 1A, 700mA, and 350mA LDD with 5w SCW for the fan on a Nano Box Reef driver board and enclosure. Heatsink is a Nanocustoms Unibody 108, powdercoated to Pearl White. The Vero 18 will be run on a 1A LDD in parallel for an effective 500mA, the Vero 10 at 700mA in parallel for an effective 350mA, the violet/royal blue/blue at 700mA, and lime/cyan at 350mA.

Saweeeeet. I want to see pics of your full setup.

Are those 3-ups individual wiring or together?

What's the name of that diffuser film you can put on the splash guard to make it look like T5? I really dislike shimmer on planted tanks.

jedimasterben

Are those 3-ups individual wiring or together?

They'll all be wired in series. I'll have a total of four channels:

• Cool white
  • Warm white
  • Violet, royal blue, blue
  • Cyan, Lime
jedimasterben

What happened to the lime/ PC Amber idea?

That's on the actual Nanobox array over my PicO tank at work, already completed that :)

I got my 2x heatsinks from Chris in today. This is what I'm thinking. Already have the Veros and the violet.

Channel 1 - 2x Vero 18 2700K in parallel - 700H

Channel 2 - 2x Vero 18 5600K in parallel - 700H

Channel 3 - 2x Steve's 3-up series royal and cool blue in parallel - 1000H

Channel 4 - 2x Steve's 3-up series cyan and lime in parallel - 1000H

Channel 5 - 2x Rapidled quad core violet in parallel - 1000H

Tank is 24x14x16. Light is going on goosenecks and will be ~8" from top of tank as I am going to have a big rock sticking out the tank.

Archived