inTank Media Baskets

CUC for my new bc29 (now just my random questions)

fishfreak0114

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh these sure jumped! They were hopping all over the place, scared the heck outta me! They were orangish though. This was on a trip to Washington a few years back. I'm most likely getting my stuff from petland now. The LFS doesn't have voice mail though and they're supposed to be ordering the couple things they did have right early in the morning. Hope I can cancel. They're not even sure if the stuff would come in.

Is there such thing as a sand sifting cerith? It was on the list at the LFS.

Yes, Cerith snails will stay in your sand bed a lot of the time. Will mostly only come out at night. Good snails IMO. Those prices seem a little high for here in MI, but I don't know about your area. I paid $5 for an emerald crab and the snails run $1 or less for the most part. Crabs can be anywhere from $1-3 depending on type and size.

fishfreak0114

Wow that does seem like quite a difference. And I was supposed to be getting those at her wholesales price. Imagine if she marked them up too!

That sounds pretty cool, funny how many types of terrestrial to amphibious species there are. In many ways most ceriths could be called "sand sifting" to an extent since foraging on the sea floor will inadvertently bring quantities of sand which will be sifted so to speak of algae and detritus.

fishfreak0114

I was able to cancel the order. Stopping by petland fridY to place an order. Theyre supposed to be sending alist of the prices via email or phone, hopefully before then so I can price it all out. So excited to have something other than algaesoon :D it seems to get worse everydY, covering more sand. The gha is growing well too. Is this normal?

I was able to cancel the order. Stopping by petland fridY to place an order. Theyre supposed to be sending alist of the prices via email or phone, hopefully before then so I can price it all out. So excited to have something other than algaesoon :D it seems to get worse everydY, covering more sand. The gha is growing well too. Is this normal?

make sure not to get too much at one time, it'd be a shame for a crash so soon.
fishfreak0114

How much would recomend adding? I'm trying to make as few trips as possible simply because the orders come in on thursday so I have to drive an hour there and back on a schoolnight. Yes I'm in school still. How long do you recommend drip acclimating for?

Depends on the gallon amount, tips to remember snails don't suffer much from being introduced in a short period, depending on size of tank crabs can all be introduced at the same time also, stars are more sensitive, if the tank is big enough the whole crew can be put in at once. I've never done a drip acclimation before, you can just take their bag, poke a few like 4 small holes with a pin then wait around 10-20 minutes, I tilt the bag and let them go out on their own terms, I've never lost an animal during acclimation. Also are you in college or high school?

With your list the whole thing (cuc) can be safely put in 29 gallons I don't recommend fish until the system sorta acclimates its self to the new residents.

Also lol im in high school also

Ok thanks amphipod. How long after the CUC do you think I can get fish? Also, good to know I'm not the only fishkeeping teen. My friends think I'm crazy.

depends when the ammonia is not increasing anymore, once the tank comes back to stability as it was before the new additions its safe to move on, since the bacterias population needs to grow with the extra food being given. Amazing how complex even an artificial ecosystem in our tanks can be. Also lol my friends think I'm nutty also (maybe I am I don't know) from my collection of specimens. How old are you, I'm 16?
fishfreak0114

I'm younger then you. I've had fish tanks for years though, just not saltwater. This is my third tank currently.The others are freshwater.

fishfreak0114

Currently a 10 gallon has a knight goby that the Total Pet steered us wrong on (it started eating the fish in our 45 bow, I don't maintain that one). I also have a 5 gallon planted with neons tetras, ember tetras, one guppy, 2 shrimp and 4 nerites. The plants normally end up floating by the end of the week though. (Stupid plants :( ). If you're wondering why the plants are thin, I just one the battle with my enemy, GHA. I had to do a lot of plant thinning to get rid of the algae :(. What are you're tanks?

post-87248-0-83954800-1424495526_thumb.jpg

Currently a 10 gallon has a knight goby that the Total Pet steered us wrong on (it started eating the fish in our 45 bow, I don't maintain that one). I also have a 5 gallon planted with neons tetras, ember tetras, one guppy, 2 shrimp and 4 nerites. The plants normally end up floating by the end of the week though. (Stupid plants :( ). If you're wondering why the plants are thin, I just one the battle with my enemy, GHA. I had to do a lot of plant thinning to get rid of the algae :(. What are you're tanks?

my solution to the hair was to let the hornwort and duckweeds and elodea grow so thick there literally is only one wall of the tank, the sun side, that it can even grow on lol. Your tank looks nice, algae can be a pain. In my 10 gallon I have the overgrowth in I keep 3 corydoras, 3 dwarf African clawed frogs, 4 of those big Japanese live bearing snails, a guppy, countless pond snails, Malaysian trumpet snails, and that's what I know is in there. I also have a former crayfishes tank, actually a storage bin with guppies, funny coarse hair algae that I kinda like, and freshwater plankton variety I found in a stream lol, also jars of ostracods, blackworms, tubifex, snails and an occasional hydra. I figured to use similar to our marine live sands and rock to collect freshwater scum, sand, mud or plants for plankton and bacterial variety, I have even got those freshwater limpets from some Louisiana slush and caboma.
fishfreak0114

Thanks. :) Your tank sounds cool. Interesting on the freshwater limpets, I didn't know that was a thing. Same with the plankton. It's a good idea to collect natural things for our tanks, I should try that. Do you ever worry about getting parasites and other bad things? I'm really paranoid about what goes in my tanks. When I found pest snails in my 5, I tore the entire thing apart and cleaned every plant of eggs. The one snail went to the LFS. (I can't bring myself to kill anything)

Thanks. :) Your tank sounds cool. Interesting on the freshwater limpets, I didn't know that was a thing. Same with the plankton. It's a good idea to collect natural things for our tanks, I should try that. Do you ever worry about getting parasites and other bad things? I'm really paranoid about what goes in my tanks. When I found pest snails in my 5, I tore the entire thing apart and cleaned every plant of eggs. The one snail went to the LFS. (I can't bring myself to kill anything)

I don't worry too much since most problems, like the algae can be overcome with a little creativity, as for diseases I'm careful about the fish I pick from the stores to get the most fit of them all, that way even if I got something from the outside with imports they will be much more responsive to any treatment, but with all the years I've had these tanks, never once have I had to treat a fish lol. As for the killing I say usually waste nothing, snails can be fed to my rosy wolf snail, crayfish, baby sculpin, aiptasia, fish and sometimes other creatures, sometimes I crush the snail beforehand, kills them quick, and gets rid of the Shell for some of them to eat the snails. I can understand though why you don't kill anything.

Also kinda over kill for snail removal but whatever works.

fishfreak0114

I know I was overkill on the snail thing, but a past tank had snails and I never got rid of the them no matter how many I picked out. I just didn't want that to happen again. Have only seen one since and he's waiting to go on a trip to the LFS. If you ever have issues with algae, get nerites. Mine have annihilated the algae in my 5 to the point where I now feed them. I haven't cleaned the glass in weeks and it's spotless! I never would've bought one either. The LFS accidentally caught one and gave it to me for free. Now they're laying eggs on my gravel. I may try to hatch some (they need saltwater to hatch).

fishfreak0114

the only problem is i'm not able to tell if they are fertilised, so they may just be eggs forever. But with 4 snails I'm sure one's got to be a male. It would be cool if they hatched, they are so expensive at the pet store.

fishfreak0114

Here's my crappy set up. I used the heater and filter that I use for my saltwater to age. The tank isn't very clean, lots of crud from the great tank crash of 2014. I took some gravel from the 5 that had eggs on it. Those damn snails started laying eggs on my glass :( Hopefully they hatch, that would be cool. If they hatched, would I be able to keep them full sw for good?

post-87248-0-36807800-1424567891_thumb.jpg

Here's my crappy set up. I used the heater and filter that I use for my saltwater to age. The tank isn't very clean, lots of crud from the great tank crash of 2014. I took some gravel from the 5 that had eggs on it. Those damn snails started laying eggs on my glass :( Hopefully they hatch, that would be cool. If they hatched, would I be able to keep them full sw for good?

natively they are actually in brackish water of estuaries, so I'd recommend slightly less than sea water don't leave eggs in freshwater, they may hatch but they will die

Archived