Pod Your Reef

DurocShark's Bubble Algae Farm (RETIRED)

DurocShark

:D

I love me some acrylic. I only have this in glass because that's what was given to me. PAR at the sandbed is 225 right now with the MarsAqua at around 70% on both channels, so I'm good.

The pillars are mostly epoxied together with heavy and wide bottom rocks, so only the smaller lighter ones are loose. I haven't knocked one loose yet, but I'm not saying that's impossible. I'm not too concerned about it.

This thing is gonna be HEAVY for an acrylic tank. 3/4" acrylic, eurobraced, external overflow. Yeah baybee!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:D

I love me some acrylic. I only have this in glass because that's what was given to me. PAR at the sandbed is 225 right now with the MarsAqua at around 70% on both channels, so I'm good.

The pillars are mostly epoxied together with heavy and wide bottom rocks, so only the smaller lighter ones are loose. I haven't knocked one loose yet, but I'm not saying that's impossible. I'm not too concerned about it.

This thing is gonna be HEAVY for an acrylic tank. 3/4" acrylic, eurobraced, external overflow. Yeah baybee!

Wow, that's great PAR for such a tall tank. I'm considering a Mars Aqua for my new build but I think I will only do it if I can't get the results I want from the MaxSpect Razor.

Gonna troll your thread for the light you bought :D

Ok, I just saw that you have a seneye, might have to beg you to borrow it in a few weeks since you're so close....can bribe with frags (setosa maybe?) :rolleyes:

lol!

I plug it into my Surfacebook whenever I need it. If I ever get off my ass and finish the 17 planar weir tank, it'll be there to monitor the cycle.

I'm happy to let you borrow it though.

This is the light I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MarsAqua-Dimmable-300W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Full-Spectrum-FishTank-Reef-Coral-Grow/151367278162

It still doesn't have the CRI of the Orbit marine, but it's definitely better than the Globalstar (here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OK8IDTS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00) that I was running. The Globalstar gave plenty of PAR but colors just looked flat. The MarsAqua is somewhere between the Globalstar and the Orbit Marine.

lol!

I plug it into my Surfacebook whenever I need it. If I ever get off my ass and finish the 17 planar weir tank, it'll be there to monitor the cycle.

I'm happy to let you borrow it though.

This is the light I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MarsAqua-Dimmable-300W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Full-Spectrum-FishTank-Reef-Coral-Grow/151367278162

It still doesn't have the CRI of the Orbit marine, but it's definitely better than the Globalstar (here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OK8IDTS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00) that I was running. The Globalstar gave plenty of PAR but colors just looked flat. The MarsAqua is somewhere between the Globalstar and the Orbit Marine.

I appreciate it! I will be hitting you up once I've got water in the tank. That Mars Aqua light is the one I was looking at so anything similar should be good. My new tank is only 18" deep so I think if I can get 120 optics (or just remove what's there now) it should be perfect....I just want the one that's controllable.

I'd been testing mag/ca/alk across the past few water changes and seeing low numbers across the board, with only small spikes immediately after water changes.

So I ordered a 2 part kit from BRS. Tested last night to get a baseline, and my results were:

Cal 530

Mag 1520

Alk 6.4

So only the alk was low this time, after 2 weeks without a water change? Hmmm...

I then realized I must have hit a pocket of that shitacular Kent salt.That stuff has low numbers due to the high precipitation in my mixing barrel.

Well, crap. Waste of money. Oh well. I'm ready if I ever need this stuff. And I can add the soda ash for alk directly instead of having to bake my arm & hammer. ;)

Very cool, I've never seen a reef tank with those dinensions!

You could probably refurbish this tank if its acrylic rather than buying a new one, is that an option?

• 4 weeks later...

While my wooden braces (http://i.imgur.com/CkIaiba.jpg) have been holding, they're still making me nervous. And I'm tired of the scratches in the glass from the previous owner.

I talked to Advanced Acrylics in SoCal (http://advancedacrylics.com/) and am having an acrylic replacement made. Because of how tall and narrow it is, the replacement will be around $1200.

I think it's worth it. Gettin' it done. :)

Just curious as to how you will make the swap from the wood to acrylic? Will you have to drain the tank a bit to reduce the pressure? For 1200 bucks, you can get a nice new tank… just saying. Don't wanna put ideas in your head. :)

A quality custom acrylic tank isn't cheap, and I'm getting some very specific features that I want.

As for the swap, I need to get some big tubs. Empty current tank into tubs, rocks and all, then move current tank off stand and place new tank on stand. Put rocks, sand, corals, water back in after using the opportunity to scrub off the bubble algae I have infesting the tank.

I do anticipate some losses, they're inevitable. But I'll minimize them as much as possible.

A quality custom acrylic tank isn't cheap, and I'm getting some very specific features that I want.

As for the swap, I need to get some big tubs. Empty current tank into tubs, rocks and all, then move current tank off stand and place new tank on stand. Put rocks, sand, corals, water back in after using the opportunity to scrub off the bubble algae I have infesting the tank.

I do anticipate some losses, they're inevitable. But I'll minimize them as much as possible.

Oh sorry, I thought you were just replacing the wooden braces with acrylic braces! LOL Didn't realize you got a whole new acrylic tank. My bad. Good luck! :)

• 1 month later...

This is getting out of control. And the silly Condy thinks he's king of the bubble world!

VI8Jaok.jpg

My foxface is really going to work, so I'm going to go back to removing as much mechanically as I can to help him along.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the replacement for this tank last week. Dimensions are slightly different. I went shorter, 24" instead of 30". It's slightly wider to fill out the stand. 3/4" acrylic for the sides and bottom, 1" acrylic on the top. Outboard overflow with dual drains.

It's glorious.

XT28BWm.jpg

This is getting out of control. And the silly Condy thinks he's king of the bubble world!

VI8Jaok.jpg

My foxface is really going to work, so I'm going to go back to removing as much mechanically as I can to help him along.

Holy Shit... :o

Picked up the replacement for this tank last week. Dimensions are slightly different. I went shorter, 24" instead of 30". It's slightly wider to fill out the stand. 3/4" acrylic for the sides and bottom, 1" acrylic on the top. Outboard overflow with dual drains.

It's glorious.

XT28BWm.jpg

Holy shit.... :D

Between me and the foxface, I've been chipping away at the bubble algae. But I'm seeing it return almost as quickly as we're removing it. The spores are friggin everywhere.

I played with ozone in the skimmer, but between the clicky/buzzy noise from my ozone generator, and the fact that I just can't dial it down enough to keep from smelling it without some carbon (also my ozone detector across the room kept going off), I gave up on that.

I decided to try peroxide. On Friday I added 30ml of 3% common hydrogen peroxide. I just need to keep the spores from surviving, I don't expect it to attack the already growing bubble algae. This morning before lights on I happened to look at my tank. I've never seen it look so clear. The regular green algae that was growing on the bubble algae (friggin really?) had turned gray. I turned the lights on for a few minutes to check it out and it looked great. I think I may be on the right track.

The dose was less than .5ml per gallon of crappy 3%. But it was enough to oxidize much of the algae in the tank. Also, many of my corals were opened more fully than they had been in a while. Either they're super happy, or the peroxide is killing off the algae in their tissues, so the corals are more open to get more light to the tissues? I dunno. I'm watching.

H2O2 doesn't survive long in sea water, so I did another dose this morning. I'll keep an eye on the corals. I have 35 gallons of clean water to change out if I spot any issues.

Between me and the foxface, I've been chipping away at the bubble algae. But I'm seeing it return almost as quickly as we're removing it. The spores are friggin everywhere.

I played with ozone in the skimmer, but between the clicky/buzzy noise from my ozone generator, and the fact that I just can't dial it down enough to keep from smelling it without some carbon (also my ozone detector across the room kept going off), I gave up on that.

I decided to try peroxide. On Friday I added 30ml of 3% common hydrogen peroxide. I just need to keep the spores from surviving, I don't expect it to attack the already growing bubble algae. This morning before lights on I happened to look at my tank. I've never seen it look so clear. The regular green algae that was growing on the bubble algae (friggin really?) had turned gray. I turned the lights on for a few minutes to check it out and it looked great. I think I may be on the right track.

The dose was less than .5ml per gallon of crappy 3%. But it was enough to oxidize much of the algae in the tank. Also, many of my corals were opened more fully than they had been in a while. Either they're super happy, or the peroxide is killing off the algae in their tissues, so the corals are more open to get more light to the tissues? I dunno. I'm watching.

H2O2 doesn't survive long in sea water, so I did another dose this morning. I'll keep an eye on the corals. I have 35 gallons of clean water to change out if I spot any issues.

What's the status here? Is the Acrylic up?

What's the status here? Is the Acrylic up?

No, not yet. Just don't have time to devote a solid day or two to the process.

Curious on your success with dosing h202 directly to tank. Keep it up!!

Oddly enough, I'm seeing green algae on the glass again. I don't think it's doing much. I'm afraid to dose higher than what I'm doing because when I do it, my nems curl up for 2 hours.

No, not yet. Just don't have time to devote a solid day or two to the process.

Oddly enough, I'm seeing green algae on the glass again. I don't think it's doing much. I'm afraid to dose higher than what I'm doing because when I do it, my nems curl up for 2 hours.

Ok, I've still got a setosa frag for you when you're ready!

Glad to hear you're having success with the BA battle, you may be seeing green due to release of phosphate and stuff back into the water by the BA but it'll be resolved eventually. Maybe start running some additional Phosguard type product. I have a huge ball of cheato I'm about to throw out if you want it, should help control phosphates as well.

I have GFO in the sump (mixed with carbon in a passthrough). My phos remains undetectable, but with all the algae I would be surprised if I saw any.

I have a bunch of macros in my fuge. Cheato would probably grow faster, but that fuge is pretty packed. No place for the cheato.

Thanks though!

• 3 months later...
JavaJacketOC

Absolutely nothing. Life has seriously gotten in the way. :(

Dang, sorry to hear that...unless it's the good kind of life. I can help set up if you need, just lmk.

DurocShark

Dang, sorry to hear that...unless it's the good kind of life. I can help set up if you need, just lmk.

Thanks. Right now I just need time to get plumbing stuff together and a solid weekend with nobody making demands on my time.

Archived