Pod Your Reef

36g Shallow AIO

jabeuy

I'm thinking about starting 2 part dosing.

Alk is around 5-6 dKh.

Ca is around 380.

Both measured with API kits.

Two of my sps frags are receding from the bottom, which I've read could possibly be a low alk issue. Also, the corraline algae on my rocks is starting to get white spots in the centers.

I'm just a little hesitant since I'm holding a bunch of corals temporarily. It might be the case that all the extra corals are eating up the alk/cal, and if I just wait it out a bit I might not need tp dose yet.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking about starting 2 part dosing.

Alk is around 5-6 dKh.

Ca is around 380.

Both measured with API kits.

Two of my sps frags are receding from the bottom, which I've read could possibly be a low alk issue. Also, the corraline algae on my rocks is starting to get white spots in the centers.

I'm just a little hesitant since I'm holding a bunch of corals temporarily. It might be the case that all the extra corals are eating up the alk/cal, and if I just wait it out a bit I might not need tp dose yet.

How about your w/c schedule- can you up that to help you levels?

How about your w/c schedule- can you up that to help you levels?

I've been doing weekly changes of 4g. I don't wanna be doing it any more frequently than that haha.

Coolhandreefer

What kind of tank is this or is it custom?

EDIT: I see that its custom made after reading the original post lol. Who made it for you?

This tank is sick, it has come along so well

What settings were the gopro on? I got one too :P

Thanks man! Gopro was on 10mp wide.

Can't wait to dunk it in the tank

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome! Your tank is looking great. Not to sound critical, I am honestly just curious, did you buy the go pro for the explicit purpose of filming the tank?

Thanks!

Haha no, it's not even mine, it's my brother's lol.

Nice- I've debated whether to dunk mine or not- don't have the guts to do it? tanks looking good- especially from that view?

Do it! Your tank would look awesome from that view. Just make sure you have the right gopro housing on ;)

Sweeeeeeet tank. How is the YT doing in there? I think it would be so cool to get a baby tang of some sort to keep in my 12G long temporarily.

If only an Achilles tang came as a miniature. :(

Sweeeeeeet tank. How is the YT doing in there? I think it would be so cool to get a baby tang of some sort to keep in my 12G long temporarily.

Thanks! It's been doing great :)

A 12g long might be able to work if it's the 3 footer I'm thinking of, lots of swimming space.

Just keep in mind that they produce a lot of waste. I started having my cyano and random spots of hair algae after putting in the tang. But it could just be being overstocked in general lol.

Thanks! It's been doing great :)

A 12g long might be able to work if it's the 3 footer I'm thinking of, lots of swimming space.

Just keep in mind that they produce a lot of waste. I started having my cyano and random spots of hair algae after putting in the tang. But it could just be being overstocked in general lol.

Glad to hear. I think as long as conditions are decent it should be fine until it gets closer to adult size. Honestly in my opinion as long as it's not unhealthy for the fish and it's happy then keeping it in a smaller tank should be fine. (I know some disagree though, but I'm not saying put an adult Sohal in a 10G lol)

I've considered it before, I think it would be alright for a few months but not long term obviously. The tank I'm talking about is the 12G long at 36"x8.3x9.4. :)

The waste produce is a good point, I think a lot of people fail to realize how dirty Dory is. :D

Started dosing B-Ionic 2-part stuff, and got alk up to 8 dKh, and calcium to 460-480 as per API test kits.

I'm thinking I should get better/more precise test kits so I can figure out my daily usage.

Oh and cyano is back again. Coincided with when I started dosing.

It's different looking this time, more long strand 'hairy' stuff.

Instead of a tang look into a dwarf angelfish. I have a little cherub, it won't outgrow your 12g and would love the 3ft to sprint

And about the pooping thing my ty is 5" and has poos bigger than guinea pigs... Whereas the cherub barely poops

Been on a monti craze lately.

Got a red monticap thats been growing well in the month since I got it, and also got what looked to be a blue monticap (but now turning green) last week.

Today picked up an encrusting monti frag pack and a leptoseris frag.

Here's the frag pack I got, any ideas what the 2nd on the 1st row (green) , and 1st on the 2nd row (red) are?

monti_frag_pack__59352.1424911681.1280.1

Some pics once in my tank

aqLkwsW.jpg

Z6gEPoP.jpg

Ifg04UO.jpg

AcBlqHuh.jpg

Excellent- really nice looking pieces- funny on the names- I hear so many different kinds for the same piece I just call them encrusting Monti's anymore? Their gonna look great once they grow in!

Had to move where I work temporarily, and it turns out that my temporary desk is strong enough to hold a tank!

Corals are still closed from the move, but I have some relatively easy corals in there for simple maintenance/equipment: hammer, octospawn, some kind of leather, cloves. goniopora and pink star polyps. Also a damsel haha.

ErtFIlL.jpg

Had to move where I work temporarily, and it turns out that my temporary desk is strong enough to hold a tank!

Corals are still closed from the move, but I have some relatively easy corals in there for simple maintenance/equipment: hammer, octospawn, some kind of leather, cloves. goniopora and pink star polyps. Also a damsel haha.

ErtFIlL.jpg

What is in that smaller tank?

What is in that smaller tank?

Smaller tank? That thing to the right of the monitor? A couple bamboo plants in a beer glass if that's what you're referring to lol.

Archived