Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ADA 60p Soft Coral Mangrove Peninsular - Long overdue update

East1

• 1 month later...

It's been quite some time since I've posted an update! I apologise, work got pretty intense and I've handed over my first project as a full time engineering consultant, which is pretty sweet. I also unfortunately broke up with my girlfriend so there's been a recuperation period, but during that time the tank seems to have been very happy.

I decided to take a lot of the rock out, so here's a teaser - my leathers are still a bit shocked from the early awakening for this photo but the sun outside was too good to pass up!

kJXhd5z.jpg

• Like 4

I got a tiny clown trigger who massacred my cleaner shrimp today - I'd assumed they were okay with cleaners but APPARENTLY NOT. I guess he has nothing else he can terrorise now so he can stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful. I like the placement of the mangroves. The sloping deep sand bed looks neat, too, especially on a nano. Very unique!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Things I haven't done in 4 months:

1. Changed Water
  2. tested kH or Cal
  3. cleaned the sump
  4. adjusted my skimmer
  5. use RO water
  6. checked the temperature of the water or set the heater

Somehow the tank looks great, everything's growing well and I've just done the basic maintenence the exact same way.

I have rescaped, I'll post a picture this weekend. My fluffy leather started to sting everything in it's path so I had to move things.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
ninhsavestheday

hows your overflow? is it noisy? why didn't use a box? Is there a safety just in case it clogs?

i got the same tank. looking for ideas on how to plumb it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

It's kinda still running, I've built a custom acrylic tank to keep the mangrove humid, it's devoid of coral at the moment.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 12:50 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @East1! Glad to hear it's still running in some form, we'd love to see the current setup 🙂 

Hi Chris! Thanks for the encouragement, I've just started a new thread over here for anyone following

• 2 years later...

@East1, Your tank is amazing and I am trying to setup something that hopefully at some point reach the same level of maturity.

I have 5 mangrove shoots that I bought and trying to figure out how to contain the roots in the tank. They are in a separate tank with slightly salty water now (for the past two weeks). I am putting the mangroves in the right side of my tank, however I am not sure how to contain the roots to prevent them from moving through the tank and possibly causing cracks and/or/ leaks.

At the same time, I was thinking if I use any kind of glass or plastic container for the sand that contains the mangroves it may not be that much water and nutrient movement for the mangroves. What do you think?

Oh man a reply to this thread brings back memories!

as far as root movement i would recommend you search the forum for Giga’s posts about mangroves, though I had mine in this tank with nothing to guard the roots and I didn’t have issues with leaks or cracking the tank, I would imagine you could use a shallow pot or something.

A lot of the nutrient absorption comes from the finer roots near the surface because they usually grow in anoxic mud, which is also why they have respiration holes 

16 minutes ago, East1 said:

Oh man a reply to this thread brings back memories!

as far as root movement i would recommend you search the forum for Giga’s posts about mangroves, though I had mine in this tank with nothing to guard the roots and I didn’t have issues with leaks or cracking the tank, I would imagine you could use a shallow pot or something.

A lot of the nutrient absorption comes from the finer roots near the surface because they usually grow in anoxic mud, which is also why they have respiration holes 

Thank you, found the post but I cannot see the photos. But informative thread for sure. A side question, how is it going with your new/current tanks if you have any 🙂 

5 hours ago, Gore15 said:

Thank you, found the post but I cannot see the photos. But informative thread for sure. A side question, how is it going with your new/current tanks if you have any 🙂 

Ah are they all gone! That's unfortunate, it's a sad thing scrolling through some of the older threads that didn't have photos archived! 

My new tanks are going good, I have two up with threads on the forums, one is here