inTank Media Baskets

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

It's definately a different look. I've seen some amazing sps tanks with BB's - seems to put more emphasis on the coral- it's like their floating. Same can be said with tanks with sand- gives more of a "real" look- if any of our tanks can be considered " real" looking I really do like them both - so it's like Arce said- really depends on what and how I want to keep things...........my wife wants the shrimp/goby pair so she could trump the whole deal

I'm with your wife on that!! I've been kicking that around since before I set this up! DOOOOOOO ITTTTTTT.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is! Gonna have to do some rearranging- but that's always fun. Our art piece Hell Vision might have to make its way down to the theater room

Yay :wub: I love that room!
Sk8n Reefer

Some new shots - my largest hermit took a liking to my turbo's shell- turbo gone

KVBoLZ9.jpg

qEaQXpc.jpg

He must not of liked struggling around in the big shell.......he moved back into his old one the next day

8zecyVy.jpg

My tailspot's favorites spots..........in the idaho grape

eWCtGrI.jpg

And a hole under my green pocillopora

4BJDLob.jpg

Emerald crab

JM4PjyA.jpg

Pink Stylophora

OESt0y2.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest

PXLvGMM.jpg

Sk8n Reefer

What beautiful pics! I think that hermit is a bully though. I have banished hermits to the sump for less, LOL!

Thanks vlangel! Yes he is- surprisingly he leaves the other hermits alone for the most part.

excellent pics!

Thank you Gammaz! Thanks for checking things out ?

Sk8n Reefer

Love the shocked look on the clown's face as he looks at the hermit crab!

Hahahaha- for sure- caught us all by surprise!

Sk8n Reefer

Took some iPad shots yesterday - everyone was in harmony and I really liked how the tank was looking. I was able to do seven 1 gal. w/c's this week. Went to my lfs yesterday- they had some beautiful Acros in. Can't wait to start again adding some livestock. We talked about a sump- probably have them build me a 20x20x16 cube sump ? for the 50gal.

9aa769cb2c71ac390bf7d0a3e50400b1_zpsu1nz

307875c634201f3f9cf8f083c44416a2_zpsdzmd

15ba6001e7d00c475d91954f1f8b9afa_zpsl8nu

Sk8n Reefer

Great pics, really enjoy looking at this little tank. I do think you have more corals than I do in my 150. :D

Hahahaha- good one Mark- that one made me laugh ?

your tank is really badass man!

Thanks Steensj2004!

Your birdsnest looks like a weeping willow. I really like that.

Thanks vlangel, it is becoming a nice piece ?

Ok, you got me inspired. Previously I was under the impression of needing a certain set up to get results... Gonna give this a try... I think I'm gonna slowly progress towards your set up.

You replaced a 211Gph pump with a 357gph pump. Do you notice the spin streams throttling that Gph down? Wondering about my sand bed and coral placement. Thanks!

It would be about 130$ for the pump and spins. And double that to add an ecotech? Hmmm...

I am liking sps but favor more of a mixed reef. Thinking an ecotech would be better, programable and have more flow directed where needed? I noticed you said you have thought about it in the past... Any changes of heart?

And lastly, what are your future upgrade plans or thoughts?

Sk8n Reefer

Ok, you got me inspired. Previously I was under the impression of needing a certain set up to get results... Gonna give this a try... I think I'm gonna slowly progress towards your set up.

You replaced a 211Gph pump with a 357gph pump. Do you notice the spin streams throttling that Gph down? Wondering about my sand bed and coral placement. Thanks!

It would be about 130$ for the pump and spins. And double that to add an ecotech? Hmmm...

I am liking sps but favor more of a mixed reef. Thinking an ecotech would be better, programable and have more flow directed where needed? I noticed you said you have thought about it in the past... Any changes of heart?

And lastly, what are your future upgrade plans or thoughts?

Thanks Rural! What tank do you have? Size? Yes , the spin streams do throttle down the flow a little but with the larger plump- not an issue. If you have a Nuvo 16 I wouldn't add a powerhead on it- most of the ones that broke had powerheads on them. Especially the ecotech type that can pulse on the glass. That's really the only reason I haven't added powerheads- I have two Hydor nano240's with a controller but I am afraid to place them in the tank. For SPS I could use more flow for sure. I would think the ecotech would provide better flow volume but I do like how the spin streams randomly mix up the flow. Some people love the spin streams- some people hate them. I've never had a problem with them- I remove and rinse with warm/hot water every 2 months or so- only take a minute but it removes plenty of build up.

I just picked up a starfire glass SCAquarium 50 cube that is beautiful- planning out my upgrade now. Pretty exciting but I am not in a huge hurry- still really enjoying this tank and how the corals are starting to grow around each other really well.

Thanks for checking things out- let me know if you have any other questions ?

Yeah, it is a 16 nuvo. I need to move at least 3 times in the next 5 years; so after that I'll get a larger one! I have a knock off power head on right now for 6 months without issue. I'll prolly just keep it on and not upgrade, but it does distract from the overall slick look.

I'm also switching salts slowly now. And your daily WC's.

So much to catch up on! Upgrade?!?!?!? omgomgomg:haha:omgomgomg:haha:omgomgomg

Is there a new thread? I don't want to miss anything. I would love a cube - the one thing I really miss in my tank is depth. I have so many scaping ideas that I can't try. I can't wait to see how your comes together.

Sk8n Reefer

hey sk8tn, lovely tank. :)

could you expound on your dosing regimen?

Thank you! I am using a doser now - dose 12 times a day for a total daily amount of 40ml of Alk. 40ml of Ca. And 15mg. This keeps parameters at 450 ca. 7alk. And 1350 mg. I'll also manually dose Acropower about 3-5ml twice a week

Sk8n Reefer

Yeah, it is a 16 nuvo. I need to move at least 3 times in the next 5 years; so after that I'll get a larger one! I have a knock off power head on right now for 6 months without issue. I'll prolly just keep it on and not upgrade, but it does distract from the overall slick look.

I'm also switching salts slowly now. And your daily WC's.

Ok- Ya I love the tank but the stories of them cracking is heartbreaking to hear from people- forget about the tank expense but the loss of the livestock is hard to hear. They mostly break from the curved front glass so probably a good idea to keep the powerhead away from that area. An upgraded pump wouldn't hurt though. What salt are you switching too? I think you'll like the daily w/c's - so simple to do ?
Sk8n Reefer

So much to catch up on! Upgrade?!?!?!? omgomgomg:haha:omgomgomg:haha:omgomgomg

Is there a new thread? I don't want to miss anything. I would love a cube - the one thing I really miss in my tank is depth. I have so many scaping ideas that I can't try. I can't wait to see how your comes together.

Yes- I picked up a sweet starfire glass 50 cube- not as big as I wanted but such a good Craigslist deal I had to do it ?. I am in the planning stages now- thinking hybrid lighting , gyre pump and debating on BB or sand. Figuring out a sump right now- the 24x24 stand is limiting but I am designing one out with my lfs. Exciting stuff but I am in no hurry - still loving the nuvo ? no new thread yet!

Archived