Top Shelf Aquatics

florida live rock

MOJOEJOEJOE

I have picked up numerous Chitans with diver collected rock. I have two bright orange ones that show themselves when they want to.

Enjoy the emerging life forms.

Patrick

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MOJOEJOEJOE

Thanks Patrick. I forgot how much fun it is seeing new things almost daily on LR. My kids think I'm nuts for spending money on rock but I have actually caught them staring at the tank LOL.

I have picked up numerous Chitans with diver collected rock. I have two bright orange ones that show themselves when they want to.

Enjoy the emerging life forms.

Patrick

Frilly limpet maybe?

This awesome limpet lived with me 2 years

20130311_112804.jpg

Frilly limpet maybe?

This awesome limpet lived with me 2 years

20130311_112804.jpg

That is it, except mine is a brighter orange. Remember, I now live in Texas. Everything is bigger and brighter here.

Patrick

That is it, except mine is a brighter orange. Remember, I now live in Texas. Everything is bigger and brighter here. Patrick

:slap::angry:

it was plenty bright

20130311_112905.jpg

IMG_9936.JPG

IMG_9863.JPG

Anyway, that was Babette.

Kat, I am going to order gulfliverock soon and tell them you sent me ;) Probably the 17 lb special.

do it do it do it

Babette is pretty in orange.

I seldom see them out in the open. It was 6 months before I saw the first one. I will go a month without seeing them. I now have two in the same tank. These two have been in aquariums for 18 months. I wonder about their lifespan. I have kept Flame Scallops for 2 years in aquariums. There life span may only be two years.

Your photography skills are better than mine. My pictures sucked.

Patrick

MOJOEJOEJOE

So if I hear you all correct, I probably have just scratched the surface of what's on this rock ? Well I'm off to buy a CUC. Probably an emerald cram and 4 or 5 hermits.

• 2 weeks later...
theishkid

I'm thinking about getting some of this gulf live rock that everyone is raving about but I have a few questions about it...

1. How much do you recommend for a tank like the new cad lights 34g all in one?

2. When you buy your live uncured rock, do you cycle it with lights on or off? I have heard mixed opinions about lights while curing rock.

3. Would it be smart/dumb/doesn't matter to put rock in the tank while it's cycling but not put sand in right away so I can pull out any bad worms or something first?

FlowerMama

Cycle it all together with lights on a normal 8 hr cycle. Mine was from KPAquatics but most of the "life" still makes it through the cycle.

In my 34 I have 37 lbs of rock.

005_zps3e32a33e.jpg

theishkid

Darn... I was hoping I could cycle for a month or two while I wait for a nanobox reef light to be made.

By the way, your yellow rock flower is beautiful!

FlowerMama

Thanks, I love that rock flower too. Only 2 colors but stunning. The problem if you put rock or sand first and then add the other later is you end up going through cycle again that's why it's good to do it all at once. You can use any light in the meantime so if there is any macro it has a chance to grow. I have 27 lbs of rock in a 10g on a cutting board on top of the 2nd half of the sink in front of my kitchen window, it gets light all day, just not sun and there's green macro on it which is still green from a week ago.

gulfsurfer101

I see my snark comment towards that spammer has been deleted along with his post. Sorry, I tend to be a little grumpy in the early morning hours, especially if i didn't get any last night.

Any sleep last night. Shame on you and your dirty little minds.

He spammed many threads including mine. I think everybody reported him. I did too. So mods deleted all his posts and all responses to him. goody!

I'm thinking about getting some of this gulf live rock that everyone is raving about but I have a few questions about it...

1. How much do you recommend for a tank like the new cad lights 34g all in one?

2. When you buy your live uncured rock, do you cycle it with lights on or off? I have heard mixed opinions about lights while curing rock.

3. Would it be smart/dump/doesn't matter to put rock in the tank while it's cycling but not put sand in right away so I can pull out any bad worms or something first?

For my 34G RSM I ordered 50 pounds. In hindsight it was a bit much. 40 would have been just fine.

Uncured rock has lots of life on it, under no circumstances should lights be off during the cycle. Run the normal day/night timers.

He spammed many threads including mine. I think everybody reported him. I did too. So mods deleted all his posts and all responses to him. goody!

For my 34G RSM I ordered 50 pounds. In hindsight it was a bit much. 40 would have been just fine.

Uncured rock has lots of life on it, under no circumstances should lights be off during the cycle. Run the normal day/night timers.

Is all your rock gulf live rock? The only complaint I can find about it is the rock itself isn't very porous. Trying to decide how much to buy or if I should mix it or what for a 45g Cube.

i thought ppl said the new florida dry rock they sell out of BRS, reefcleaners etc was super porous?

( the stuff they mine and use to make new lr?)

i thought ppl said the new florida dry rock they sell out of BRS, reefcleaners etc was super porous?

( the stuff they mine and use to make new lr?)

I am talking about gulf live rock which apparently isn't compared to sea lifes rock or brs/reefcleaners.

I am talking about gulf live rock which apparently isn't compared to sea lifes rock or brs/reefcleaners.

I have 1 tank with Sea Life Inc (KP Aquatics) and 1 with Gulf Live Rock. I like both, but I do agree that at least for my batches, the KP Aquatics seems more porous and had more interesting shapes for aquascaping, while the Gulf Live Rock was heavier with more "boulders" that make it harder to aquascape but I really like the hitchhikers on that rock quite a lot.

Is all your rock gulf live rock? The only complaint I can find about it is the rock itself isn't very porous. Trying to decide how much to buy or if I should mix it or what for a 45g Cube.

There are all kinds of pieces. You can request porous ones. Pictures of some of mine, both porous and non. Everything came with abundant life.

CIMG0649.JPG

CIMG0637.JPG

There are all kinds of pieces. You can request porous ones. Pictures of some of mine, both porous and non. Everything came with abundant life.

How was it for pests? Did you cycle it in a spare tank so you could remove the pests easily or just add it right to the DT? Trying to debate how to handle the baddies.

How was it for pests? Did you cycle it in a spare tank so you could remove the pests easily or just add it right to the DT? Trying to debate how to handle the baddies.

My first 2 shipments were baddy free. Or wait, I think I had one of those eunice worms which i killed. The 3rd shipment came with 2 baby mantis, I was able to catch one, the other seems to have disappeared. I have a huge pistol shrimp who probably shot it.

I suggest curing it in your tank if it is small enough for you to be able to do several water changes during the cycle. This will help make it a soft cycle to preserve life. My RSM was too large, doing those water changes was exhausting. putting the rocks in a 10-20 long with light, heater and flow might work better.

how does the porous one compare to fiji rock? ( porosity?)

I've never used fiji so I can't comment.

Archived